Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?: A Response from John McDougall, MD page

hermanda is offline Senior Member

Fat or Carbs: Which Is Worse?: A Response from John McDougall, MD

Primal Fuel
    I just read this and was wondering what you guys think:

"Starches have fueled the engines of human civilizations for at least the past 14,000 years. Carbohydrates (starches), such as rice in Asia, corn in Central America, potatoes in South America, and barley and wheat in Europe, have provided the bulk of the calories for almost all human diets. Only a few small primitive populations, living at the extremes of the environment, such as the Inuit (Eskimos), have been fueled by saturated fats. Just as undeniable, worldwide today populations of people who consume the greatest amounts of carbohydrate are the trimmest and fittest, and also have the lowest incidence of heart disease and diabetes. This truth is confirmed by observing the change that occurs when people from Japan, for example, migrate to the United States or Europe. As they eat less rice (carbohydrate) and more saturated fat (meat and dairy products) they become fatter and sicker."
    Link to full response:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-m..._b_639354.html

Grol is offline Senior Member
    The comments will be funny by this time tomorrow.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Yeah it's a lot of CW nonsense, broken logic, and rhetorical tricks. Even if we were to grant that carbs made up the bulk of calories for most human civilizations for the past 14,000 years (which they didn't), so what? 14,000 years is nothing in evolutionary terms. Maybe the comments will rip it to shreds. I'm hopeful based on the two comments posted.

hermanda is offline Senior Member
    Me too Can I tell you how much CW I'm trying to defend myself against?! I started working out with a trainer and told him how I was eating and he nearly lost it. He said 50% fat would make my body too acidic. It's hard to be new to this and have to try to stick to my guns but I have so much more muscle then I did 2 months ago and it stays! No more chronic cardio for me too (oh and he loved that one too

Suse is online now Senior Member
    hmmm I read something today about acidity due to meat but I cant recall what the real issue was. (memory like a sieve) I definitely like not eating copious amounts of carbs but I'm not a carbophobe like some.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    hmmm I read something today about acidity due to meat but I cant recall what the real issue was. (memory like a sieve) I definitely like not eating copious amounts of carbs but I'm not a carbophobe like some.
    Actually I just read today that sugar may be the main culprit for acidity.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    meat, dairy, and grains all promote acidity. As does sugar, alcohol, coffee and tea. Let's see...what's left? Oh yeah, fruits and veggies!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Fail.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I'm finding the steak and eggs I'm having for dinner, way more compelling than McDougall's arguments.
    Meh.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    grain 14,000 years ago? i dont think so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast