Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Jenni 39) page

Jenni39 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been transitioning to a primal lifestyle for the past 7 weeks. I'm fairly fit, and my weight is fine. I've been off of sugar, soda and all the really bad stuff for over a year. I wouldn't mind seeing my percentage of body fat go down a little, so I've set some goals for the behaviors that will hopefully lead to results.

Here are my exercise goals:

1. PLAY!!!! (Who knew that would ever be a "goal"?)

2. Get some kind of activity every day when I'm on the road with business.

3. Enjoy gutting and rebuilding the kitchen in the farmhouse.... hey, building shelter is as primal as it gets!

Here are my nutrition goals:

1. Stop cheating on the weekends

2. Make an effort to find and purchase grass fed meat, free range chicken, and/or local eggs

3. Limit my alcohol consumption to a couple of glasses of wine per week

That should to it! Thanks Mark for having this challenge. I'm really looking forward to it!

Jenni

I didn't have a chance to "play" today (ah, Monday), but I did have a great workout this morning. P90X Back and Biceps. LOVE it! I didn't drink any alcohol, so.... so far, so good!

Great day today! I'm in Iowa City (away from my native thrill zone of Rochelle, IL), and I got a nice 4 mile run/walk in at the doggie park. The dogs are in a fenced area, but it was fun to watch them play. PLAY! That's what I'm supposed to be doing. It's just that I don't think the dog owners would have been overly fond of the idea of a total stranger playing with their dogs.

That's it for today.....

BretMattingly Guest

Jenni, thanks for your comments! You've now earned yourself a support buddy. Hope you're ok with that.

Congrats on transitioning to Primal. Both your exercise and nutrition goals are really great! I can offer a few tips:

Exercise

1: It's the hardest one, and actually, I've meant to add it to mine. Mark makes it seem so easy, living next to a beach, haha. I plan on adding a bit of biking and walking in, so I can get more play and Low-level cardio in.

2: No advice here, though I WISH I could be on the road.

3: That's strictly a mindset thing, and I think you've got it already!

Nutrition:

1: Before I went Primal, I carb binged a LOT. I was basically on the Zone diet. When I went Primal, this wasn't a problem. The difference? Embracing fat. When you realize what you CAN eat, what you can't seems insignificant (better mindset to focus on, anyway). Don't think of yourself as deprived, and remember the 80/20 rule.

2. Check local butchers, and don't be afraid to settle for clean grain-fed beef if you must. I've looked hard and only found one source of grass-fed beef, that was at Whole Foods, and it was ground. If you can't find grass-fed, and do end up getting grain-fed, don't forget your Fish Oil!

3. No advice there. I could USE a shot or two of tequila. KIDDING...halfway.

Geez, today was almost like yesterday! I did great with my food, and went to the same doggie park that I went to yesterday for a walk.

We're closing on the farm/house tomorrow, so we're taking a primal picnic over tomorrow night (with some champagne, not necessarily primal) to enjoy by the pond.

Whew! I've been out of it for a couple of days! Not my primal lifestyle.... being tethered to my computer! And I have to get going.... we closed on the farmhouse, and we're taking the chimney out of three stories, gutting one of the bathrooms and gutting the kitchen. Details to follow......

What a weekend! Basically, I moved a ton of bricks. My husband and brother took sledge hammer and chisel to the chimney and surrounding walls, and I carried the bricks, in tubs, down the stairs, to the dolly, rolled them to the dumpster and dumped them in. We took out all three stories of the chimney. What a mess!, but we got it done.

Nutrition was pretty good, although, my mom brought lunch over for us one day... sloppy joes.... it tasted great, but who knows what all was in it. I ate it open faced, so I got about 1/2 of a whole wheat bun. Didn't bother me with all the calories I was burning.

Yesterday we were a little sore, but still got out for a nice 3 mile walk.

I did well with my goals..... didn't overdo it on the weekend, just had one glass of red wine.... and we really are having fun tearing up the farmhouse!

Took my second shot at fasting today. Went pretty well, although I got a headache around 3PM. I was on my home, so I went ahead and had a little snack, then ate a regular dinner tonight. That gave me about a 21 hour fast..... pretty good for someone who usually eats 5 times a day!

Busy, busy, busy! But never to busy to eat right. I've been doing very well with Primal nutrition the past few days. Exercise has been a little strange... got a great cardio workout on Thursday, but ended up with a rest day yesterday. Just too much going on. It's okay though. We're off to the farmhouse to continue with demolition on the kitchen... my job is usually hauling the tubs of debris to the dumpster.... pretty good workout!

PrimalCon New York

OK, just checking in with myself. (Is anybody out there?)

Another busy weekend at the farm. Sunday I spent most of the day ripping, not one, but TWO layers of linolium and subflooring out of the kitchen. My guess is that that one on the bottom was as old as the house (70 years). Did they make linolium then? And whoever put down the top layer, put the subfloor down with more nails and staples than you can count. But it's coming along. And demolition is FUN!

My nutrition was good all weekend except my mom brought lunch again on Saturday. It is a huge help, but she brought sandwiches on homemade bread. I ate the insides out of one sandwich (meat, cheese, lettuce, and tomato), but I was starving so I went ahead and ate another with the bread. The good news is that I probably burned it off within a half an hour!

I'm off to Iowa for business tomorrow. More later.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast