Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When did humans really start eating grains? page

Harry Guest

When did humans really start eating grains?

Primal Fuel
    You can't just say "They probably . . . ." That isn't evidence of anything.

It is pretty early to identify a pile of charred animal bones that have been gnawed. Grains? Not so easy. Maybe you find a bog corpse and examine their stomach. Maybe you find traces of grains on some grinding stones. Takes careful looking and scientific testing.

Did humans decide 10,000 years ago "Hey, maybe those grain things would be good to eat. Lets cultivate them." People must have been gathering wild grains for at least a while.

Take a look at http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/174441.php. I have not bought the article that this one is based on. And it certainly is not the last word. Kinda makes you think though.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    "This happened during the Middle Stone Age, a time when the collecting of wild grains has conventionally been perceived as an irrelevant activity and not as important as that of roots, fruits and nuts"

A little bit of wild grain making up a minisucle percentage of total dietary energy. Around 10000 years ago was when people started trying to eat them en masse thanks to the agricultural revolution. And they're demonstrably unhealthy so I think it's kind of a moot point.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    From what I recall in my readings, the neolithic revolution began about 10 to 13 thousand years ago in the Levant (a crescent shaped area on the western edge of the Arabian Peninsula/eastern Mediterranean coast) near present-day Israel by the Natufian culture. The Natufians were semi-sedentary hunter-gatherers who began experimenting with agriculture.

cabeman is offline Member
    done
    Last edited by cabeman; 09-12-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    If you were a hunter gatherer, you wouldn't be able to find a lot of wild wheat plants growing together in neat rows. You would find a plant here, another one miles away and so on. And you need hundreds, maybe thousands, of grains to make a single bread. I know, because I used to buy whole wheat grains and grind them myself to make bread. Before agriculture, eating grains was very impractical, not worth it.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    If you were a hunter gatherer, you wouldn't be able to find a lot of wild wheat plants growing together in neat rows. You would find a plant here, another one miles away and so on. And you need hundreds, maybe thousands, of grains to make a single bread. I know, because I used to buy whole wheat grains and grind them myself to make bread. Before agriculture, eating grains was very impractical, not worth it.
    Um, I see fields with probably tens of thousands of wild oats growing closely together all the time.

Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cabeman View Post
    I'm no anthropologist, but I imagine that nobody would try to grow a field of anything if they hadn't been eating all that they found during their "walks". Point---humankind probably was eating grains long before agriculture kicked off, but those grains would not have come close to their major food source. So, eating grains, yes, but eating in great quantity, no.
    Probably not a major source. But if people have been eating some grains for 100,000 years, then it would seem that a modern Grok could eat some.

Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    "This happened during the Middle Stone Age, a time when the collecting of wild grains has conventionally been perceived as an irrelevant activity and not as important as that of roots, fruits and nuts"

A little bit of wild grain making up a minisucle percentage of total dietary energy. Around 10000 years ago was when people started trying to eat them en masse thanks to the agricultural revolution. And they're demonstrably unhealthy so I think it's kind of a moot point.
    Given how little is known about stone age grain gathering, you can't know that it was minuscule. If people have been eating some grains for 100,000 years (big if), that would seem to plenty of time to evolve to benefit from them, i.e., benefit from eating some grains, like Grok.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    No Grain, No Pain
    or something like that...
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Harry,

You hold people's posts to standards to which you don't hold your own. No bueno.

You say "You can't just say "They probably . . . ." That isn't evidence of anything." but you throw around wild speculations and "big ifs" with no concern. What's up with that?

Apparently one can just switch out "probably" for "must" and come up with gems like this: "People must have been gathering wild grains for at least a while." and the statement becomes bulletproof.

I'm a jerk.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast