Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: When did humans really start eating grains? page 3

  1. #21
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    ....continued
    Settled then.

    See, no need to comment. But thanks Katt.



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


  2. #22
    Harry's Avatar
    Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Actually this stuff is relatively settled science (as ancient studies goes) and laid out in lots of interesting layperson friendly books. Marks version of the story is consistent with all the prehistory / anthro that Ive read. Read some Jared Diamond if you want to learn lots of good stuff about early man, hunter gatherers, etc. Man hunted enough to cause the extinction of all the mega- mammals on the N American continent many thousands of years ago - the giant American camels and ground sloths disappeared soon after man arrived, for instance.
    We were not eating many if any grains until about 10 000 years ago, and even then only in a couple of places, most of the world continued as hunters or at least herders for a few thousand years beyond that.
    We don't know nearly enough about prehistoric man for it to be settled science. The study to which I referred you was recent. It suggested that we were eating some grains for 100,000 years. We don't know at this point how widespread the practice was nor how much was consumed. Given the difficulty of finding evidence one way or the other, it may be a long time before the issue is settled, if ever.

  3. #23
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    Trying. So. Hard.



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


  4. #24
    cabeman's Avatar
    cabeman is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    47
    Something I read in the previous posts brought to mind another take on the dental cavity thing. Cavities became more prevalent once agriculture set in. Fine. Is that due to eating more grains or eating less meat? Are dental caries more prevalent among vegetarians or omnivores? Is there any difference? I don't really care, but I think it is an interesting question.

    Cillakat: What is your point with all of the "gotta say something but I won't---you have to come to my level on your own" bit?

    Stop being so smug and be willing to fall on your face like the rest of us.

    Someone on the board has a signature that I like. "Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you are moving forward". Yea, I like that a lot.

    We only learn when we have our needs to learn open, so that teachers can see our need and enlighten us. So, go ahead, enlighten us.

  5. #25
    Katt's Avatar
    Katt is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    We don't know nearly enough about prehistoric man for it to be settled science. The study to which I referred you was recent. It suggested that we were eating some grains for 100,000 years. We don't know at this point how widespread the practice was nor how much was consumed. Given the difficulty of finding evidence one way or the other, it may be a long time before the issue is settled, if ever.
    My take on this would be to look at the skeletal evidence. It is not until around 10,000 years ago when we begin to see the prevalence of caries, nutritional deficiencies and other abnormalities within the populations of people that are historically known to be agricultural. Dr. Eades linked a study that showed this difference even in Native American groups before, and after, settling down to farm. It would be a good indication that grains did not really make up a significant portion of our diet until that time.

    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/l...ter-gatherers/
    Last edited by Katt; 07-10-2010 at 04:36 AM.

  6. #26
    Roach's Avatar
    Roach is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by cabeman View Post

    Cillakat: What is your point with all of the "gotta say something but I won't---you have to come to my level on your own" bit?

    Stop being so smug and be willing to fall on your face like the rest of us.

    We only learn when we have our needs to learn open, so that teachers can see our need and enlighten us. So, go ahead, enlighten us.
    I very much doubt her posts are a result of smugness. She may merely recognize that some (or one) in this thread don't have their "needs to learn open".

  7. #27
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    I very much doubt her posts are a result of smugness. She may merely recognize that some (or one) in this thread don't have their "needs to learn open".
    Thanks Roach.




    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


  8. #28
    Bushrat's Avatar
    Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Trying. So. Hard.
    I suspect that the OP may be a troll and no amount of evidence may sway his mind. However, many other people interested in this discussion may be reading this thread and not commenting, or may not yet be members of the forum. So post what you are going to post for the benefit of those of us who are genuinely interested.

  9. #29
    Katt's Avatar
    Katt is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    I suspect that the OP may be a troll and no amount of evidence may sway his mind. However, many other people interested in this discussion may be reading this thread and not commenting, or may not yet be members of the forum. So post what you are going to post for the benefit of those of us who are genuinely interested.
    I second this. Again.

  10. #30
    Harry's Avatar
    Harry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    My take on this would be to look at the skeletal evidence. It is not until around 10,000 years ago when we begin to see the prevalence of caries, nutritional deficiencies and other abnormalities within the populations of people that are historically known to be agricultural. Dr. Eades linked a study that showed this difference even in Native American groups before, and after, settling down to farm. It would be a good indication that grains did not really make up a significant portion of our diet until that time.

    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/l...ter-gatherers/
    Yes, that sounds like good evidence of how significant grains were in diet. My point, which I keep trying to get across, is that strict primalists may be throwing out the baby with the bath water. If a few grains per week can be consumed without any harm, why limit yourself so much by being strict?

    For some people, of course, it has to be like stopping drinking or drugs - cold turkey. I have no problem having only a few servings of grains and potatoes per week. No cravings for more. I eat them with a smile on my face and no worries.

    One thing seems certain to me - Grok was not a picky eater. He couldn't be most of the time.

    Forum members frequently post that they ate something non-primal and "felt like crap." Well, most of us felt like crap when switching to a healthy primal diet. That doesn't mean that the stuff they ate was necessarily bad (sometimes it is), just that their bodies said "What the **** is this stuff?" To me, eating a wide variety of foods keeps my options open. If I go to a family gathering and "break bread," I won't feel like crap. (Well, i have a wheat allergy, but you get the idea.) I also suspect that when people "feel like crap," it's partly guilt feelings.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •