Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting: meal timing vs circadian rhythm page

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member

Interesting: meal timing vs circadian rhythm

Bill Lagakos has written a very interesting article: “Afternoon diabetes” and nutrient partitioning | The poor, misunderstood calorie

Basically, unless you are diabetic or have a crappy circadian rhythm (like shift rotation due to work, etc), the gist of the article is that:

- our muscles are more insulin sensitive in the morning, while adipose tissue more insulin resistant
    - this sensitivity is reversed in the evening: fat tissue more sensitive, muscle more resistant (if no aggressive resistance training work-out that will selectively increase insulin sensitivity in some muscles even in the evening).

So for normal people who don't really work out, the conclusion is:
    - eat your carbs in the morning : muscles will store glycogen, fat storage will not really take it
    - eat your fat in the evening : the fat will probably mostly be burnt during the night fast.

(eat proteins no matter what though)

That's quite the opposite of what you hear from leangains, carb back loading, etc.

So, because I am always in for experimenting simple stuff like that, I decided to reverse my eating habits:
    - main meal in the morning
    - low carb light meal later in the day
    - no food after 5-6pm.

Let's see what happens.

I am already 2 days in, and I must say, it is hard to eat in the morning for me. I'll get used to it though, I'm sure
    So far, I don't experience anything different in terms of energy or sleep quality.

To be continued. But I recommend the article, it is very interesting.
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 09-27-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Bill_Lagakos is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    it is hard to eat in the morning for me. I'll get used to it though, I'm sure
    this is my experience, too: I'm rarely very hungry in the morning, but when I have a big breakfast, I'm rarely very hungry later in the day... it takes some getting used to.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    This is the opposite of what has been observed:
    Greater Weight Loss and Hormonal Changes After 6 Months Diet With Carbohydrates Eaten Mostly at Dinner - Sofer - 2012 - Obesity - Wiley Online Library

I know of a study on rats that also found carbohydrates to be better in the evening

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Lagakos View Post
    this is my experience, too: I'm rarely very hungry in the morning, but when I have a big breakfast, I'm rarely very hungry later in the day... it takes some getting used to.
    Aha! The guy himself

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    This is the opposite of what has been observed:
    Greater Weight Loss and Hormonal Changes After 6 Months Diet With Carbohydrates Eaten Mostly at Dinner - Sofer - 2012 - Obesity - Wiley Online Library

I know of a study on rats that also found carbohydrates to be better in the evening
    Yeah, I remember this study. That's why I find Bill's article intriguing ...

I think the Sofer study was more about carb frequency, not timing per se. The control group received 3 carb meals daily whereas the intervention got only 1.
    3 vs 1, not AM vs PM.
    Had the control group been "AM carbs," then I could see your point.

Further, there are many other studies which show skewing more total calories earlier in the day is better for body comp...

I think the Sofer study was more about carb frequency, not timing per se. The control group received 3 carb meals daily whereas the intervention got only 1.
    3 vs 1, not AM vs PM.
    Very good point. So the real question is : if taking one meal a day, is it better in the AM or in the PM ? I am loosely eating one main meal a day. For convenience, it has been in the early evening (around 6pm). I am now reversing it. I don't know what to expect but I like changing habits once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    So the real question is : if taking one meal a day, is it better in the AM or in the PM ? I am loosely eating one main meal a day. For convenience, it has been in the early evening (around 6pm). I am now reversing it. I don't know what to expect but I like changing habits once in a while
    theoretically, AM.... at least my research has been heading in that direction, but I don't recommend going to bed hungry... maybe include a small snack in the evening? ymmv

theoretically, AM.... at least my research has been heading in that direction, but I don't recommend going to bed hungry... maybe include a small snack in the evening? ymmv
    Depends on hunger. Once I am done eating, I usually don't care about foods for a good 18 to 20h, unless I work out, in which case I load up on proteins (no shakes, no powders, real foods).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bill,

Something is really screwed up with your website ... I read that some people experienced viruses. I can't say because I use linux. But the website layout looks strange and unusual. I see the articles but can't see the comments when your blog is displayed in this strange layout.

here is how it looks:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast