Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digestion getting backed up from increased fat consumption? page

Serro is offline Junior Member

Question Digestion getting backed up from increased fat consumption?

Primal Fuel
    About a week and a half ago I cut out carbs and starches and started ramping up my fat intake. I've been having lots of vegetables with olive oil, duck fat, and I've been having some fattier proteins (fish, beef, eggs).

For my first week doing this I felt great. Just at the start of the week I felt and looked particularly amazing, it felt like my body was agreeing with the fat so much, every time I had more of it I felt better and more energetic.

But now these last few days my digestion seems to have come to an abrubt halt. I only had one bowel movement on Tuesday, none on Wednesday, one yesterday, and one today so far. I've felt backed up and a little bloated, and I look worse too (dark circles).

I'm wondering if this is from having too much fat too quickly? I did this same diet before, but with less fat, and it worked amazingly well that time, so I'm thinking maybe I don't have enough stomach acid/bile for this amount of fat yet. Does this sound right? And if so, what should I do to get my system properly adapted to fat to the point where I can digest the healthy amounts necessary for long-term sustainability?

I have a Swedish Bitter in the fridge from like 7 months ago, I could use that if it hasn't gone bad. I also have Lecithin Granules which are supposed to bind to fat and increase bile production.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Increased fat intake usually has the opposite effect on most people...

Have you also increased your intake of leafy greens, such as kale and spinach? I found that clogged me up, so had to cut right back and increase slowly.

Are you hydrated enough? Too little water is also related to constipation.

if you really need help getting it all moving again,small amount of Epsom salts in water would do the trick.

Ymmv of course, so you could always dial back on the fat and see how that works.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Carb. Honey. Orange juice. Whatever.

Yes, maybe you went too high fat too quickly. Any extreme change in diet can cause gastric distress. Read all the people who kept paleo/primal for months and then went to a family gathering, ate a bunch of crap, and suffered the consequences.

It can go both ways. The body does adapt to almost anything. Some do it easily and some take some time.

I've found that a serious imbalance of carbs or fat can cause hunger in me, though that's not the same as gastric distress. Incremental change can be a better way to go than abrupt change.

Good luck.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Serro is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea View Post
    To increase gastric acid you need to increase your metabolism. To do this you need to eat carbohydrate. Increase carbohydrate and your ability to digest fat will increase. Decrease carbohydrate and your digestive capability as a whole will decrease.
    Well earlier this year I ate a similar very-low carb diet to the one I'm eating now, just with less fat, and my digestion was working beautifully. I was also drinking Apple Cider Vinegar at the time and eating a lot of fiber. That diet wasn't really sustainable though cause the lack of fat meant I had nothing to provide long-term fuel and strength.

Anyway, I started taking Apple Cider Vinegar a few hours ago and my digestion already seems to be a little better. I suppose I should go easier on the fats for now while improving my digestion through ACV, bitters, Lecithin, and fiber.

Does bone broth help with digestion as well? I used to have it quite often but it's such a chore to make.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Apple cider vinegar can help stimulate hydrochloric acid (HCl) in the stomach, which of course breaks down food in the stomach.

Also good for stomach cramps etc. Never heard of it being used for constipation though.

Bone broth is supposed to be very good for gut health in general.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

God
    God is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Serro View Post
    About a week and a half ago I cut out carbs and starches.
    Yes, doing this tends to have that effect. Primal Blueprint DOES NOT say to do this. This is not the Atkins diet!

Check out this thread I made, it's highly relevant to your situation: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread110629.html

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Read all the people who kept paleo/primal for months and then went to a family gathering, ate a bunch of crap, and suffered the consequences.
    To any sane person this would be an alarming indicator of reduced health and metabolism. A diet that makes you WORSE at tolerating foods is NOT A GOOD DIET.
    Last edited by God; 09-26-2014 at 11:37 PM.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Changing the macronutrient profile of your food is always likely to overload your digestive system. If your pancreas is used to making x molecules of carbohydrases and y molecules of lipases it will have to upgrade lipase production and downgrade carbohydrase production. In addition the liver has to adjust to the increased flow of fatty acids. This can be a healthy process if you adjust carefully but most people don't do careful and considered hence the number of quick fix diets out there.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

God
    God is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Changing the macronutrient profile of your food is always likely to overload your digestive system. If your pancreas is used to making x molecules of carbohydrases and y molecules of lipases it will have to upgrade lipase production and downgrade carbohydrase production. In addition the liver has to adjust to the increased flow of fatty acids. This can be a healthy process if you adjust carefully but most people don't do careful and considered hence the number of quick fix diets out there.
    Nah. The impaired digestion he is experiencing is caused by heightened stress response due to the massive restriction of a vital macronutrient combined with lowered metabolism from restricting said macronutrient.

Listen to the things he says - "Cut out carbs and starches"..."Felt amazing, had lots of energy"..."Dark circles under eyes, bloated, less pooping". All signs of a stress-hormone high followed by a stress-hormone crash.

If he continues on this path, he's not going to "adapt"... he's going to get even worse.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    That doesn't reflect the experience of many who restrict carbs. I think that carbs are vital for all sorts of things such as mucous and libido and I am in agreement that there 's a stress response to suddenly switching macros but chicken and egg situations will always generate opposing views. Cycling carbs works fine for me with limited cortisol and a good healthy metabolic rate and I went through a period of severely restricted carbs just for curiosity without any of the problems the op has.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

perennialpam is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try the Epsom salt and/or magnesium citrate (increase slowly as needed).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast