Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Squash Season! Recipe Sharing page

Jenna H is offline Member

It's Squash Season! Recipe Sharing

Primal Fuel
    It's that time of year again, when there's loads of nice fresh squash available. I adore squash, but I'm looking to do more inventive recipes with this tasty goodness. Don't get me wrong, it's a great side dish. There's something wonderful about the classic baked butternut, and I especially like that I can cook an acorn squash in the microwave in under 10 mins, for those nights I'm in a hurry.

But I want more squash goodness.

It's a family tradition to get a good-sized pie pumpkin, scoop it out, and fill it with a mixture of cooked ground beef and mashed potatoes. Pop it in the oven about 400. An hour and a half to 2 hrs later, you have a self-contained casserole. Definitely higher in carbs than I aim for, but not a bad treat meal.

What do you do with squash?

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    I usually make squash pudding. Just throw cooked squash in the blender along with 2 large eggs, a bit of nut or dairy milk, stevia or other sweetener depending on how sweet you want it, pour into casserole dish, cover, and stick in a 350F oven till a knife blade comes clean and cracks start to appear. This is one of those "it all depends" recipes - how much squash, how big the dish, how sweet you like it, etc.

picklepete is offline Senior Member

I like delicata pizzas
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

NWFroggie is offline Junior Member
    Delicata squash cut in half, rubbed with butter and sprinkle of salt and pepper. Roast in a 425 oven for about 1 hr. Fill with ground meat sauted with onions and peppers. Top with cheese and place back in the oven to melt cheese.

I've used homemade sausage as the meat, pulled pork and also ground beef.

jenna is offline Senior Member
    I do the same thing with sweet dumpling squash. Cut it open like a pumpkin, clean it out. Roast for 45 mins or so, stuff with cooked sausage, spinach, mushroom mixture. Top with mozzarella or goat cheese. Back in the oven until melted. Place the top back on and serve. Each one is an individual serving. Awesome!

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk, any winter squash baked or microwaved, Thai curry paste and protein of choice. Some bone broth to thin it out as needed. Easy healthy Thai curry without whatever crap they add in the restaurant. Kubota squash works great, but most any will do except Spaghetti Sq.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    To the kitchen with me...

Out of butternut (which I was turning into miniature pumpkin pie in the skin). What do you guys have for Acorn squash? Got two and I've never had it before.

M.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

Out of butternut (which I was turning into miniature pumpkin pie in the skin). What do you guys have for Acorn squash? Got two and I've never had it before.

M.
    My new Paleo Approach cookbook has a recipe for 2 Acorn squash... cut them in half, cut side up. Put in a 2-3 heads of garlic, sprinkled between the 4 halves, and roast. Then mash them all together. Garlic acorn squash. I haven't tried it but I think it sounds delicious with some butter. Not sure if the recipe included that.

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post

M.
    Don't really have any acorn squash recipes, but acorn squash seeds are my favourite squash seeds to roast. Way better than pumpkin seeds.

amyb is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    Don't really have any acorn squash recipes, but acorn squash seeds are my favourite squash seeds to roast. Way better than pumpkin seeds.

PaleoOMG has a good recipe for acorn squash fries. I like to roast butternut squash fries at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes...coconut oil, I use MCT oil...and season with chili powder, cayenne, onion, garlic, cinnamon, sea salt, pepper. Or ...just cinnamon/salt/pepper. I found seasoning blends that are delicious in the 21 Day Sugar Detox book. She has a great herb blend recipe for sausage too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast