Thread: Chufa tubers page

papertiger00 is offline Junior Member

Chufa tubers

Primal Fuel
    I was curious the primal view on chufa or tiger nuts. They are rich in a few nutrients and I make horchata with them. So the are soaked twice during use of them. I don't add a ton of sugar like suggested but I was meaning for an answer on the tuber itself not the drink.

for those that don't know what chufa is Chufa or tiger nuts

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    tatertot mentioned these a while back. They are a great source of resistant starch. Eat them if you can get them!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

papertiger00 is offline Junior Member
    they are not terribly expensive. shipping is kind of a pain. they come to abut 10.00 a pound. that seems bad but look at cost for cashew nuts or almond meal. its about the same. they have vitamin A,C,E and magnesium. plus others I can't pull out of the brain dump. I was just curious. I search before asking and results said no results.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Have not seen them for $10 lb. If I saw them in a local store I'd try em, but not going to spend at current prices.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by papertiger00 View Post
    I was curious the primal view on chufa or tiger nuts. They are rich in a few nutrients and I make horchata with them. So the are soaked twice during use of them. I don't add a ton of sugar like suggested but I was meaning for an answer on the tuber itself not the drink.

for those that don't know what chufa is Chufa or tiger nuts
    If there is one thing that all these primal / paleo / diet forums brought to me as a new and very positive thing, that's the tiger nut. I bought a few kg a while back and I don't regret it!

The tuber is not only great, but it is highly suspected by paleo researchers to have contributed to our evolution into the humans we are today (big brain, blabla). I read somewhere that it would take for a paleo man about 2.5 to 3 hours only to forage tiger nuts and get around 2000 kCal from them. Think about it! These tubers allowed humans to have some spare-time for non food related activities! It is amazing that these tubers are not well-known today when they are suspected to have been so critical for our evolution!

Eat them any way you like, their nutritional profile is simply amazing. I will soon try to make some horchata as well. I won't put sugar in it. I will do one batch without, and one with something like erythritol to enhance the sweet taste. TNs already have plenty of natural sugars.

Another thing with them: they are so fibrous, you rediscover the art of chewing Have a drink handy as well when you eat them.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    They are deemed Primal (see the last item in the post):
    Is Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Bread Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

I have been wanting to try some but was reluctant to shell out for them. I get my nuts at Trader Joe's for around $6/lb unless I splurge for some macadamias which are closer to $10/lb. I guess I could shell out for chufa just to try it. Any recommendations for where to get it from?

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, cool! FTA just wrote about Tiger Nuts and I will be doing a blog on Friday with pictures and growing tips to grow your own! I love them.

I buy the peeled ones and eat as snacks and the unpeeled ones to make horchata with.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM