Thread: Vibrams a bit long - problem? page

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member

Vibrams a bit long - problem?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I just bought my first pair of Vibrams. The Mens 45. The 44 was a bit too tight around the ankle-band so I opted for the 45, which fit, but I find that when my toes get all the way inside the toe holes my heels don't reach all the way back. I have very wide and thick feet, and this has always been a problem with my shoes.

My question is - is this bad for me? Generally with normal shoes this leads to awkward strides and ankle problems, but I deal with it because I can't really get shoes that fit me well. If I use the Vibrams can I just ignore the length issue, or will sliding cause problems?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualhammers View Post
    My question is - is this bad for me? Generally with normal shoes this leads to awkward strides and ankle problems, but I deal with it because I can't really get shoes that fit me well. If I use the Vibrams can I just ignore the length issue, or will sliding cause problems?
    I have similar feet. My first pr of vibrams were the sprints and I also sized up...the heels are the same as yours and it's been fine. However, I wished I'd gone with the size done b/c they do loosen up over time. Next pr I'll size down and simply cut the instep a bit with a pr of scissors to make room.

I also have a pr of KSO treks that aren't sized up....they were really snug at first and I was really worried they wouldn't be wearable over time but now they're perfect. Because they're leather, I can wear them endlessly with no odor issues.

Anyhoo, as long as your VFFs are snug everywhere else, it's not a problem that they're too big in the heel as long as they're tightened down there properly....did you get a pr that tightens in the back? If not, consider returning them and getting a version that does.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    They only had the VFF KSO and VFF Classic. I don't see a way to tighten em in the back. I also notice that while snug when I try to wiggle my toes they wiggle out of the holes. I am going to go back right now and get the smaller size.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Good plan. My kso treks tighten down in the back b/c the instep strap is continuous around the back of the heel. And the sprints have a separate heel adjustment.

I think you're doing the right thing. they will loosen up. though for about a week, I was really worried and thought seriously about returning them.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order