Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pork Belly! page

j@mes is offline Junior Member

Pork Belly!

This past weekend I went to a very nice bar/restaurant (which was new for me) and what a treat it turned out to be. The menu was just so different from the norm and I decided on an entree which included pork belly, something I've not had the pleasure of trying before. The meal wasn't exactly Primal/Paleo but I ordered it nonetheless .. Mac & Cheese topped with a healthy portion of Pork Belly, Avacado, and Pickled Red Onions. It was fantastic. Yes, I had 2 or 3 bites of the mac & cheese just to taste it, but it was the pork belly I was interested in. The combo with the avacado and pickled onions was just delicious.

So, I would love more pork belly .. anyone care to share a recipe? A technique?

PaulaCee is offline Member
    Sorry to say I've never tried or cooked up pork belly. SAD diet me would have said yuck too much fat but now that combo of pork, avocado and pickled onions sounds delicious. I'll def look at some recipes

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    A little goes a long way, I prefer it as a secondary ingredient. Cut small cubes, use gently rendered fat to make a vinaigrette or to sauté dark greens then use the spent pieces as garnish.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I make pork belly a variety ways from time to time. Always so good. A simple roasted pork belly is always good. I have also use braised pork belly for tacos.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    I usually sous vide or slow roast pork belly, then slice and pan fry. I like it best with a mix of ground dry peppers. It is pretty hard to screw up cooking a quivering mass of pork fat.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

j@mes is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    I usually sous vide or slow roast pork belly, then slice and pan fry. I like it best with a mix of ground dry peppers. It is pretty hard to screw up cooking a quivering mass of pork fat.
    Sous vide? Well it just so happens I purchased the Anova contraption not too long ago .. hmmm.

pjgh is offline Senior Member

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a pork belly in my freezer. I'm going to use half of it to make this:
    The Food Lab: Deep-Fried, Sous-Vide, 36-Hour, All-Belly Porchetta (Or, The Most Freaking Delicious Thing To Ever Come Out Of My Kitchen) | Serious Eats

And make the other half in to bacon.

@j@mes: Did you get the newer version (Anova Precision)? I have what they are now calling the Anova One and I love it. Part of me is tempted to get the newer one so if I could do meat and vegetables simultaneously, or do something quick if I wsa doing a really long cooking item with the other cooker, but I don't really need it.

Also, the app connectivity feature just looks awesome and seems add a lot of potential to the capabilities of the device.

Edit: I guess that was a silly question since apparently the Anova Precision isn't available until November!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast