Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprouts supermarket grass fed meats from Uruguay?? page

MoBob is offline Member

Sprouts supermarket grass fed meats from Uruguay??

Primal Fuel
    I saw some good looking cuts at Sprouts that claimed grass fed beef but the transportation distance scares me. I also have read somewhere that the source (Uruguay) is very good. Any truth to this????

What is the definition of USDA Prime cut??? Any significance or just marketing without substance???

MoBob
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Cassandra is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about meat from Uruguay, but I noticed that the organic meats in our stores are all from out west. That means long transportation and more fuel consumption, which I don't like either. Try finding small local farms to buy your meats from. They might not be labeled organic, but I bet you they are grass fed if they are not from a big operation. If they won't sell you meat then ask them where they take the cattle to be dressed. Most meat packers have a small selections for sale. If you can find a local meat processor then you can usually assume that the meat has been raised naturally on grass. If you live in a urban area you might have to look on the outskirts of town to find small farms. It would be worth the drive if you can buy a lot and freeze it.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    I've bought the Sprouts grass fed beef and am really not impressed. The meat was tough and not fatty enough. I also hate the idea of buying from a different country when we are smack dab in the middle of cow country! I have a lead on really good grass fed beef prices from a small butcher in Denton. I'm going next week to check them out - I'll let you know what I find!

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    MoBob and Puddymama- Get thee arses to the Coppell Farmers Market early one Saturday, and make acquaintances with Taylor Cooper of First Livestock Ranch

I have bought eggs and meat from this farm (almost exclusively!) for years now and he treats me and my family REALLY well. I have bought (and shared with family) a whole pig one year, and a whole cow another. About to order a whole pig again!

Seriously, this guy is gold to work with. :-)

Also, nice to see so many DFW folks!

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Local grass fed is all fine and dandy, but you may want to ask where the grass is. Outside of Columbus, there are grass-fed cattle being fed on the grass of a golf course abandoned a year ago.

BLECH!!!

Uraguay may actually be a pretty good bet!

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    Well, sure, gottaluvalab, the local and quality of grass comes into play, but I can drive to the farm here that sells me my fresh grassfed beef, pastured pork, and happy chickens. I can see the way they live.

I can't very well check on Uruguay.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post
    Well, sure, gottaluvalab, the local and quality of grass comes into play, but I can drive to the farm here that sells me my fresh grassfed beef, pastured pork, and happy chickens. I can see the way they live.

I can't very well check on Uruguay.
    Well, of course!

Just sayin'. Hype from the ex-urbs and hype from Uraguay... I'd say odds are 50-50 as to which is the quality meat.

If you know the farm, that's different.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Millie! I will get me arse there ASAP!

MoBob is offline Member
    I'll have to check out Coppell FM, much closer than Grandview or Seagoville for grass fed stuff...

Thx,
    Mo
    During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Namasteak is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love sprouts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast