Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - I need a course in Liver 101 page

angierussell is offline Junior Member

Help - I need a course in Liver 101

Anyone know if kashering liver will reduce the nutrient content? I've always loved liver in the form of pate and braunschweiger but have always disliked unprocessed liver. I want to at least try to acquire a taste for it in its natural state. I figured that taking baby steps would make it easier to develop a liking for it, and I found some recipes for kosher preparation. My thoughts about kashering, or purging the blood: it seems like it would reduce some of the metallic taste but that it might also blood reduce the amount of iron content? What about the other nutients? Are they mainly in the organ itself or in the blood that is contained in the organ? Lastly, if anyone knows the ratio of lemon juice to water for the kashering process, it would be appreciated as well! Thanks!!

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Too much iron is harmful, so reducing the iron content may be beneficial. I think the largest reason people eat liver is for the fat-soluble vitamins, which should not be lost in the water.

Although I know too much iron is harmful to me, it never occurred to me that I might get too much if I start eating liver regularly. I normally associate getting too much of it with taking vitamin supplements, so that's a great point I hadn't considered. Thanks, Elliott!

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    it's very difficult for pre-menopausal women to get too much iron from food since we lose so much each month.

many women struggle with anemia so NEED to eat liver and other iron- and mineral rich animal foods to stay healthy. perhaps elliot is forgetting that?

as for "kashering", salt generously. it's not an exact recipe. cooking may leach out a bit of the nutrition but it's such a powerhouse i don't worry about that.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    many women struggle with anemia so NEED to eat liver and other iron- and mineral rich animal foods to stay healthy. perhaps elliot is forgetting that?
    I don't agree that anemia implies iron deficiency

Thanks for the salt tip, noodletoy. I had to take mine back out of the lemon juice/water soak to salt! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I don't agree that anemia implies iron deficiency
    it can be short for "iron-deficiency anemia", which is what i meant and something i have struggled with more than once.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    it can be short for "iron-deficiency anemia", which is what i meant and something i have struggled with more than once.
    I can't talk about your personal experience but I am skeptical that iron-deficiency anemia is common among premenopausal women. Iron can cure anemia, but I don't believe it's the only cure, nor do I believe it's usually the healthiest. Meanwhile, supplementing iron can be harmful. For example:
    Effects of routine prophylactic supplementation with ... [Lancet. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    The iron and folic acid-containing groups of the trial were stopped early on Aug 19, 2003, on the recommendation of the data and safety monitoring board. To this date, 24 076 children contributed a follow-up of 25,524 child-years. Those who received iron and folic acid with or without zinc were 12% (95% CI 2-23, p=0.02) more likely to die or need treatment in hospital for an adverse event and 11% (1-23%, p=0.03) more likely to be admitted to hospital; there were also 15% (-7 to 41, p=0.19) more deaths in these groups.
    Last edited by Elliot; 09-21-2014 at 03:01 PM.

op is an adult female asking about liver. i am not talking about supplements OR children.

prolonged heavy menstrual periods and/or uterine fibroids can both cause ida. so can childbirth and so can unbalanced vegetarian diets.

those with crohn's or celiac often have trouble absorbing enough iron from the foods they can eat.

you're not a woman or a doctor so please stop trying to google me out of what happens to lots of women.

– Ernest Hemingway

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have iron deficiency anemia. But it's because I lose blood faster than I can make it. 3 transfusions in the past year, severe menorrhagia. I eat liver, doesn't make a dent. Doc wants me to supplement iron, but I can't digest it. Induces nausea and vomiting.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast