Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body by Science page

Slowneal is offline Junior Member

Body by Science

Primal Fuel
    Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried body by science workouts.

I'm trying to use the concepts and mix them in with body weight concepts. I won't get the same amount of inroading as they do with nautilus, but I always enjoyed free weights/body weight moves more.

Today I started with a "Big Three". I figured if I'm going to recruit more muscle groups with physiological movements, better reduce the number of exercises/sets from 5 to 3.

Dumbbell squat (dumbbell version of the move in the book, with a dumbbell in each hand)
    Push up (on push up stands)
    Bent over dumbbell row (dumbbell version of the move in the book).

The workout was 7 minutes. I was GASSED and my legs were jello the whole day. The "Afterburn" was wicked. I'm certainly not "out of shape", as before I started exercising primally, I was doing P90X, P90X2, P90X3 and GSP rushfit.

Another combo I was thinking:

Deadlift
    Dumbbell chest press on stability ball
    Assisted pullups (You'd have to be a monster to do real unassisted pull ups BBS style)

Anyone else have any good free weight / body weight ideas for a "Big Three"?

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    I would not suggest standard deadlifts on movements where you're purposely trying to slow the rep and particularly slow up the negative. Romanian deadlifts, sure, but not normal ones. Way too much possibility for lower back injury if you're using a sufficient load for it to be a working weight. If you're picking a weight where your form won't degrade over a super slow rep, you won't be close to getting all you can out of your muscle fibres.

Also, why press on a swiss or bosu ball instead of a bench? I don't see the benefit of these exercises as they often get touted.

miata is online now Senior Member
    These are usually done with better machines or barbells, with the big 5 movements. You can do other stuff like dead lifts to complement, but don't try to do them in slow-mo.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Yikes !

Slow reps can be good but your choice of exercises raise a lot of questions !

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    The word science translated -- "Body by Psychobabble Designed to Lend Credibility to our Opinions".

Check out the stuff on this link. They have a big 3, bug 5 and big 8 and a few other things to round a quick once a week workout.

I would recommend the Body by Science book and listening to some Doug McGuff pod casts. He is really good.

double post...
    Last edited by miata; 09-21-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Decoski is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    These are usually done with better machines or barbells, with the big 5 movements. You can do other stuff like dead lifts to complement, but don't try to do them in slow-mo.
    I do my BBS routine with free weights. I do the deadlifts in slow mo, and it works fine. I just had to cut the weights WAY back as the body quickly fatigues at this pace with this lift. I switched out dumbbell rows for the barbell rows because I found the barbell rows put a lot of strain on my lower back at that slow pace. I added chins to the routine for more back and bicep work.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoski View Post
    I do my BBS routine with free weights. I do the deadlifts in slow mo, and it works fine. I just had to cut the weights WAY back as the body quickly fatigues at this pace with this lift. I switched out dumbbell rows for the barbell rows because I found the barbell rows put a lot of strain on my lower back at that slow pace. I added chins to the routine for more back and bicep work.
    I stand corrected. My experience was with the machines. I didn't realize that Doug swaps the dead lift for the lat pull-down. Still seems a little scary to me with deadlifts. Personally, I think BBS works much better with good machines than free weights but if all you have is free weights...

I've since moved on a barbell based 5/3/1 linear progression program that requires much more investment in time, but I feel 5/3/1 forces progress more than BBS -- at least for me.

henry888 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    its very nice thread really

Crossfit verona | Forging Elite Fitness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast