Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Olive Oil at restaurants page

Aquamarine is offline Member

Olive Oil at restaurants

Do restaurants usually have Extra Virgin or Virgin olive oil in their kitchen?

I am worried that I'll request meat cooked in olive oil and they'll use Refined or Blended. Descriptions of the types of olive oil here: Is All Olive Oil Created Equal? | Mark's Daily Apple

I'm really trying to avoid chemically processed oils. Butter and ghee gives me stomach pain. I'm looking for lard and tallow where possible, but I want to know if I can trust olive oil. Just wondering how likely I am to get good olive oil or if I need to steer clear.

Somewhere I read about some restaurants putting canola oil into bottles of olive oil, for the salad dressings. Gross!

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Erm... I think you're grossly overestimating restaurants in general. Expect to be eating cheap soybean oil. You're not likely to get ANY olive oil. The only exceptions are Chipotle's, which uses rice bran oil and maybe expensive places. They might use butter and olive oil, although we can't prove it. I assume the worst and don't eat out much, personally.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There's a restaurant in Louisiana that has proudly been using lard all through the low fat dogma.

Funny enough, it's easier to find lard and tallow at restaurants who flaunt health recommendations in favor of flavor.

If you're really that worried about it, ask. Tell them that last time you ate canola oil, you ended up in the ER. Or, just don't worry about it. If you're cooking your own food most of the time, and your pantry is healthy, a night at a non-compliant restaurant won't kill you. Bottom line is bottom line. IOW most restaurants aren't going to forego cheap oils for healthy ones until it impacts their bottom line by lack of customers.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Erm... I think you're grossly overestimating restaurants in general. Expect to be eating cheap soybean oil. You're not likely to get ANY olive oil. The only exceptions are Chipotle's, which uses rice bran oil and maybe expensive places. They might use butter and olive oil, although we can't prove it. I assume the worst and don't eat out much, personally.
    No, I'm not overestimating it. I'm talking about if you make a special request for the oil to be olive oil. I have read discussions of paleo people requesting their food cooked into butter or olive oil. However, I still think that olive oil might be too risky for me. Just trying to figure out olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    If you're really that worried about it, ask. Tell them that last time you ate canola oil, you ended up in the ER. Or, just don't worry about it. If you're cooking your own food most of the time, and your pantry is healthy, a night at a non-compliant restaurant won't kill you. Bottom line is bottom line. IOW most restaurants aren't going to forego cheap oils for healthy ones until it impacts their bottom line by lack of customers.
    Yeah, the only restaurants I'm finding are local or smaller places that aren't in my area. You're right that I might have to have 1 meal with a cheap oil, but I want to make an effort. I think most places would use olive oil if asked, I just doubt they would have the right kind in the kitchen.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
    No, I'm not overestimating it. I'm talking about if you make a special request for the oil to be olive oil. I have read discussions of paleo people requesting their food cooked into butter or olive oil. However, I still think that olive oil might be too risky for me. Just trying to figure out olive oil.
    You could always bring your own if you eat out a lot. I remember reading that someone did that with an Asian place they visited all the time... brought their own coconut oil because they used soy oil. However, if you're only eating out once in a while I wouldn't bother, as other people have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    You could always bring your own if you eat out a lot. I remember reading that someone did that with an Asian place they visited all the time... brought their own coconut oil because they used soy oil. However, if you're only eating out once in a while I wouldn't bother, as other people have said.
    I think it's against the law for a restaurant to let you bring in food, even if you are the only one eating it, but I am sure some independent places would do it if you're a regular.

I guess I have to ask specific places for details about their olive oil.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I think you will only get good olive oil in good restaurants. If you go to a place that serves olive oil and spices to dip bread in, you have a good chance of getting good stuff. Otherwise, I'm guessing they mostly cook with a nasty blend. Even breakfast places that talk about cooking with butter usually use a butter/canola blend to get both browning (from the oil) and flavor (from the butter).

God
    God is offline Banned
    I think... to be honest... if you're going to eat out, you should just say fuck it and indulge. Eat whatever tastes the most delicious. Not worry about PUFAs and MUFAs and glutens. Just embrace the unhealthy-ness. Become one with the soybean oil.

I sometimes go to McDonalds and order a Mega Mac. (It's a big mac, with 2 extra patties and cheeses!). I do not concern myself with PUFA at that time, even though I avoid PUFA every other time.

It's healthy to be unhealthy sometimes and it's unhealthy to be healthy all the time. Know Wah Im Sayin? Stress causes more hurt than food Ya Dig?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Know Wah Im Sayin? Stress causes more hurt than food Ya Dig?
    I may have to but I have health concerns, so I'm trying to be very strict about chemically refined oils. I would rather not go out to eat, but sometimes I need to because of family/friends. I might go and not eat anything, but that would make them uncomfortable.

Since I am not finding anything with good oils, I'm trying to find some dishes that don't involve cooking oils. It's rare to find a steamed or boiled dish. (I don't think I can eat seafoods like crabs unfortunately.) I have a feeling that most restaurants add oils to broiled or roasted dishes.

If I don't find anything else I will eat salads, or grilled food, at least they won't have as much oils used. I think some places use extra virgin olive oil for their grilled food, because it takes less oil per dish. Therefore their cost does not go up much by using the EVOO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast