Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal page

mad dog madeline is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Primal Journal

Confession Bear:

I recently gave up my job in order to improve my health, because I was commuting for nearly 4 hours a day. I had grand designs of the healthy food I would prepare, and the exercise I would do, with my new spare time. I looked forward to getting a good 8 hours sleep, and relaxing before bed, instead of madly rushing around organising things for the following day, before collapsing into bed and willing myself to sleep.

Instead... six months on, I've gained nearly 10 kilos, am tired constantly and have a terrible terrible sugar and binge eating problem.

I dabbled with ketosis and lost four kilos in two weeks. I fell out of it and gained four kilos in two weeks. I had the flu for a fortnight, eat icecream almost exclusively, and this week, whilst at work, I have eaten:
    three bags of lollies
    four chocolate bars
    a block of chocolate
    half a packed of biscuits
    McDonalds Fries and Shake

I eat a primal b, l and d - bacon, vegies or coconut flour pancakes occaisonally, BAS salad with tuna, turkey or leftover meat, and dinner is vege and meat (stir fries, roasts etc NO POTATOES occaisional tubers)

But not matter what I eat, I become ravenously hungry halfway through most meals, and have a growling empty stomach until i stuff it full of carbs. Morning I'm tired and dopey, 8.30 at night I want to go to bed. NO ENERGY.

So I convinced the bf to do the 21 day challenge, and I'm hoping with his support I can stick to it and stop my obsession with carb stuffing (I mean STUFFING) and get control of my energy and my appetite.

I also have psoriasis and IBS, pretty sure my gut is f#$%cked.

THANKS SOMEONE PLEASE BERATE ME FOR THE HEINOUS AMOUNT OF SUGAR I HAVE GUZZLED THIS WEEK!

Mad Dog/

Weekend was terrible. I went for a two hour hike and managed to sustain myself off some coconut flour pancakes and strawberries, but went to a ten year olds birthday party afterwards. Gluten intolerance meant I couldn't really eat anything so I bought a big fruit salad, which was mostly unripe watermelon, and has potato chips. Followed by Mnms. Later I drank wine and ate pizza.

Sunday was better to start with, had bacon and asparagus for breakfast, sausages and spinach salad for lunch, but had icecream and pizza for dinner. Was exhausted after digging a hole in the backyard for three hours and made bad choices.

This week is going to be better. I did have pizza for breakfast!!! But I had fruit, dark chocolate and macadamia nuts for snacks (better than a bag of candy!), and a salad with turkey breast, tomato, cabbage and spinach for lunch. Unfortunately I was feeling so hungry that I have eaten several large handfuls of mission corn chips as well.

I think my weekend away really dis-organised me. Now I have some better supplies, tomorrow will be a good day!

I should mention, I'm 100% sure I have gut disbyosis, and 90% sure I have some adrenal problems - I have GAD and every now and then I'll have crazy weeks where every night is just adrenaline rushes til dawn... followed by months of sleepiness, fog and exhaustion. Anyone else who's managed to deal with these things, feel free to drop me a line!

Thanks,

Ok day 1.

10 min heavy resistance workout in morning.

Breakfast: Omelette with spinach, basil and a sprinkle of parmesan, green beans.
    Lunch Chicken salad with roast capsicum and red onion
    snacks: apple and almond butter, salami, hard cheese and almonds
    dinner: coconut curry with eggplant and sweet potato.

Morning tea at work which I'm trying to avoid!

bring on better energy and better sleep.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Work on the food and avoiding the sugar as much as you can at first. Don't go too low carb though. Lots of people it just doesn't agree with.

I'm hardly primal at all nowadays (but I try to be when I can), but I recall when I started a few years back, my partner and I were right into the no gluten. I think it really helped heal my irritable bowel.

Good luck on your journey. Step away from the lollies

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Yes, there is no reason to go low carb when you're starting. Eat plenty of veggies, some fruit, and potatoes or yams. Some folks do better keeping carbs low (I happen to be one of them) but Primal is not a real low carb diet. Lower than most people eating bread, pasta, etc? Of course. But you don't have to go VLC, that's for sure.

Have you thought about cleaning the house out of all that crap food and snacks? Sounds like you have easy access to all kinds of garbage. That makes it so much harder on yourself. If you don't have it in the house you can't eat it!

Thanks guys! I never really had anything at home that was bad, it was the office vending machine I have access too which was destroying me. My new thing is leaving all my coins at home, it's old fashioned and doesn't accept notes or cards.

I have had one piece of lindt dark chocolate each day.... which i see as better than a bag of lollies a day! So far I feel good. Tuesday I was REALLY hungry, but I just had two lunches instead - a bunless burger (homemade) and then two hours later I had a small salad with chicken and vegies and avocado.

With the carbs, I haven't limited vegies at all - and I've made sure I've had some fruit every day - mainly greenish bananas, apples and oranges. Next week we decided to try more berries, but didn't want to go to low to fast - I've done ketosis before and the flu thing sucks.

Day four and I feel less cravings for sugar and carb binge, even though I had a hugely stressful interview yesterday and didn't sleep the night before. My partner said he is significantly less gassy (was a big problem for him, and the guy he shares his office with!!!) and he's surprised because he thought eating vegetables and fatty meats instead of his usual cereal/bread/pasta would make it worse.

I should also mention we've been playing boardgames or picking contraversial topics to talk about by candlelight at night as well, and walking. We are going to do some weight training tonight.

Thanks again for the rep

Yester

Breakfast: sweet potato mash (quarter cup), three pieces free range bacon, broccoli cooked in bacon fat.
    Snack: Macadamia Nuts, Apple, Bananna, Tuna (Yesterday after lunch I was ridiculously hungry to the point of no concentration, and when I got home I ate two primal pizzas, with chicken, tomato, herbs and parmesan, and an orange...)
    Lunch: Beef, tomato, brocolli stirfry on curry and tumeric cauliflower
    Dinner: Planning to have primal parma's - almond flour crumbed breast with canned tomato, bacon and parmesan. nom. Carrot chips.

Walked dog for halfa, including playing fetch (which means, I wrestle the stick off the dog, throw it, and race her to it) then half hour of weights. Noticed my pecs for the first time since bootcamp in March! Have gone down a kilo in what I hope is carb bloat

Haven't given into sugar cravings day 5!

Feeling good.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Madeline your food is looking good and I hope you are feeling great. Keep going

I should probably mention I drank three glasses of red wine on Wednesday night to knock myself out. I know that alcohol induced sleep is less restful but I have an anxiety problem sometimes - when I'm about to fall asleep and I get an adrenaline surge... and then I'm basically awake til about 5am when my body runs out of juice and I sleep for two hours. That had happened the night before and I know if I don't break the cycle it can go on for weeks - fear of not being able to sleep leads to more adrenaline leads to not being able to sleep... cycle of horror!
    I am sure that too much wine once in a while is better than long term anti depressants, which I've turned too twice now. Both times I end up so dependent that if I miss my dosage by half an hour I'm too dizzy - plus weight gain, lack of engagement with anything, no libido... not acceptable side affects when the downside is a panic attack once or twice a month, and occasional agoraphobia.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ah yes the sleep problems. Hate that.

I've started taking Rhodiola and I notice that the days I remember to take it I sleep well at night. and the days I don't, not so. Having said all that, I'm a booze hag at the best of times, so I never have problems "getting" to sleep, just staying asleep. I suspect menopause is probably an issue with sleep for me as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast