Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adulterated olive oil page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Adulterated olive oil

Primal Fuel
    I've read so much about olive oil being cut or diluted with seed oils. I use the extra light flavor olive oil for homemade mayo. Not being sure what's in the oil I'm thinking of using MCT oil instead. Has anyone tried this? Does it work as well?

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I think that would be a lot of MCT oil and it causes some people gastric distress. How about macadamia nut oil? I've used it before, it has a light flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I think that would be a lot of MCT oil and it causes some people gastric distress. How about macadamia nut oil? I've used it before, it has a light flavor.
    I use about 3/4 cup to a cup of olive oil per egg. Macadamia oil is very light tasting but so expensive. The reason I make my own mayo is to try to avoid the seed oils. If olive oil is cut or adulterated with seed oils and I use it anyway I'm defeating my own purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I use about 3/4 cup to a cup of olive oil per egg. Macadamia oil is very light tasting but so expensive. The reason I make my own mayo is to try to avoid the seed oils. If olive oil is cut or adulterated with seed oils and I use it anyway I'm defeating my own purpose.
    Yeah, that's the downside to mac oil. Is MCT oil cheap? I thought it was expensive but I looked at it a while ago. Perhaps high oleic sunflower oil? It's a seed oil but having high oleic helps. Or you could buy Kirkland brand olive oil, from Costco. It's been tested and was definitely real olive oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    Yeah, that's the downside to mac oil. Is MCT oil cheap? I thought it was expensive but I looked at it a while ago. Perhaps high oleic sunflower oil? It's a seed oil but having high oleic helps. Or you could buy Kirkland brand olive oil, from Costco. It's been tested and was definitely real olive oil.
    I've looked around online and MCT oil is somewhat more expensive, (I didn't know about the gastric distress issues) but it would otherwise fit my needs, maybe blending it with ghee. You suggested Kirkland brand olive oil, that's Costco, I think. We have one not too far from us. Since it's been tested and found not corrupted, buying it would be the best solution, if I can get a very light tasting version. I really don't have a very sophisticated palette mayo is mayo to me but I use quite a bit because I make some of my salad dressings with it. If store bought were safe and healthy, I'd just buy it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll google it and see if I can get it in a light version.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    try it with avocado oil. tastes better than olive anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by drjoyous View Post
    try it with avocado oil. tastes better than olive anyway...
    I'm pretty sure that's every bit as expensive as mac oil, if price is an issue.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Costco has some Avocado oil which wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. It is pretty neutral tasting although I've never used it for mayo, which I gave up years ago.

Does anyone know if Kirkland (Costco) has a light tasting olive oil. That's what I'm after, a light tasting, unadulterated olive oil. Extra Virgin and probably even Virgin is just too strong for mayonnaise. Great for dipping bread in though. (Don't do bread anymore)
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 09-19-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Does anyone know if Kirkland (Costco) have a light tasting olive oil. That's what I'm after, a light tasting, unadulterated olive oil. Extra Virgin and probably even Virgin is just too strong for mayonnaise. Great for dipping bread in though. (Don't do bread anymore)
    I honestly don't know. I hardly ever make mayo and when I do I use the macadamia nut oil. I imagine they do, and Virgin might be adequate as well... Extra Virgin definitely doesn't do, I know that. I tried to make it with that once and while it wasn't bad it had a very assertive taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast