Thread: New Study - Artificial Sweetners linked to Glucose Intolerance page

Hadoop is offline Member

New Study - Artificial Sweetners linked to Glucose Intolerance

Interesting - Certain gut bacteria may induce metabolic changes following exposure to artificial sweeteners -- ScienceDaily

The headline: artificial sweeteners -- promoted as aids to weight loss and diabetes prevention -- could actually hasten the development of glucose intolerance and metabolic disease, and they do so in a surprising way: by changing the composition and function of the gut microbiota -- the substantial population of bacteria residing in our intestines.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Fascinating article. I have wondered for years about the connection between artificial sweetners and glucose metabolism.

It looks like another example of how little we know about how the human body (or any complex system in nature) works, should be a warning not to introduce manufactured substances into our bodies. It's time we took more time understanding the complexity of nature and stop jumping in with clever quick fix solutions.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    It looks like the experiment on mice used saccharin, sucralose and aspartame as the 0-cal sweeteners (by inspecting the figures). But I can't access the full article, and the article from the link above does not mention which sweeteners they tested.

I should add: I'd never eat those sweeteners, no fucking way ...
    Last edited by FrenchFry; 09-18-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Hadoop is offline Member
    You're right, the press release doesn't mention them .. only that the 3 most commonly used artificial sweeteners were used, I'd imagine its the 3 you mentioned.

Saccharin is mentioned in the charts from the article but I can't (haven't paid) access the article.

Fascinating how they isolated gut bacteria as the mechanism ...

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadoop View Post
    You're right, the press release doesn't mention them .. only that the 3 most commonly used artificial sweeteners were used, I'd imagine its the 3 you mentioned.
    You can see them mentioned when you click on the figures and read the caption.

Somehow, I am not really surprised that they find that gut bacteria can alter such things as insulin resistance. It was already an area of research in obesity: obese people tend to have a different gut flora than lean people. But here, you learn that you may actually screw yourself up even more if you rely on this artificial crap because you still want to ingest unnaturally sweet things.

Energy! is online now Senior Member
    The scientist is being interviewed on Science Friday today. Not sure but it looks like they will be posting the audio online at some point on www.sciencefriday.com

tfeltindis is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i think so,You can see them mentioned when you click on the figures and read the caption.thanks