Thread: Fairly new still....having a down day page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Fairly new still....having a down day

Primal Fuel
    I have a Journal going in the journal thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Journal-Momto3

.....this is today's post.

We are 4.5 weeks into going primal. We are both enjoying this way of life. I am struggling a bit today though.

The struggle is emotional I think. I need to focus on the overall health benefits of eating this way and not just the weightloss. Since I am breastfeeding I am not being as aggressive or as restrictive in calories. My baby is happy for this and my milk supply is keeping up.

The last couple days I have been light headed....kind of like I am on a boat. This began to happen when I was nursing my second son. I had to stop nnursing because I was losing my balance.....it was a sad and scary time. I do not want this to happen again. My baby is 10 weeks old now.....too soon to wean in my opinion.

I was reading an archive post about reasons I'm not losng weight.... lack of sleep and stress levels I think play a major role...I am eating primal and most are whole foods. Processed foods include beef jerky, dark chocolate, deli lunch meat, homemade almond meal muffins.

I hadn't really thought of stress levels contributing to lack of weight loss.... but I am struggling emotionally with finances, being a good mom and wife, keeping up with the housework...expectations of who I think I should be..... I am in need of a good girlfriend. Thankfully my husband is my best friend. Our relationship is wonderful. But i am feeling a bit lost lately....maybe a bit of the post partum blues? Aunt Flo showed up yesterday and I am craving carbs. It's probably a number of factors all adding up.

I am also not getting enough of the easy cardio. Maybe I need to incorporate a long walk with the boys daily..... It just doesn't feel like I'm working hard enough walking with three young boys...constantly stopping to look at this rock or leaf. ... but I guess it would be better than sitting here at the computer...... immediately I feel discouraged becasue it's yet another thing I am not doing. sigh.... I should stop thinking about this for now.

It sure would be nice to hear from some of you.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I have absolutely no experience to offer you on the "being a mum" side and post partum stuff. I definitely think the lack of sleep though could be contributing to your feeling blue. I dont really want to recommend you having a carb binge but you know what, sometimes maybe that is what the body wants - trouble is we usually crave the bad carbs! eeek. I've just been addressing this in my thread about why its easy to be good sometimes and not others. A few people have made that connection between the monthly cycle and the desire to binge???

Dont beat up on yourself too much. take the long walk, stop often, enjoy the sun and the joy of just being outdoors and the fact that your kids are fascinated by what is under that rock (ahhh remember when life use to be that simple!)

Emmelle is offline Member
    Hi Momto3,

I hope you like what I'm going to say. Being a nursing mom is hard work and uses a lot of calories, it also does wonderful things for your uterus not to mention those amazing calming hormones or whatever it is that flows through your body when you nurse. Your baby is getting the best fast food available anywhere. Eat enough good calories, drink plenty of fluids. Rise slowly so as not to have your blood pressure change to quickly. Make sure you're getting enough potassium (bananas come to mind) Get enough rest, enjoy your long walks with your boys, excercise doesn't have to be painful or even quick. Grok women walked and stopped and picked and poked at the ground for food and such. You are bonding with your boys on these walks and they'll always remember that. Talk about things you want them to remember. Do your best with the house but don't let it define your opinion of yourself. It sounds to me like you have an incredibly full and busy life. Enjoy it. It will all fall into place, (including weight loss).

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Momto3, It sounds like you are juggling a lot of balls, and sometimes it's important to just breathe. If you are generally feeling good on this diet, I would recommend not weighing yourself too often and going for health goals instead. Also, don't compare yourself to others on this board. There will be people who lose 10 pounds in a week, but my guess is they are starting from a much higher weight and not nursing little ones.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    My thought is that if you are feeling a little off, perhaps you are not consuming enough fat. Could that be a factor?

vivilee is offline Member
    I don't know if it's because I don't eat any red meat or poultry, (former vegan, red meat and poultry are still gross to me), but I'm one of those who lost 11 pounds in 3 weeks and I only have 30 pounds to lose. I've obviously slowed down on the weight loss but I am still losing about a half pound every week. Maybe if you cut out the red meat and just consume nuts, veggies, cold water fish, tiny bit of dairy and no sugar/grains you will lose weight. Also don't forget your multi-vitamin and/or cal/mag/zinc. I think your exercise regimen is fantastic.

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Unless you have checked your body composition on an accurate body comp monitor such as the model made by the Omron medical instrument company, I wouldn't focus much on your "weight." It is not uncommon on a Paleo/Primal diet to gain muscle faster than you lose fat in the short term, and this can result in stable or even increasing "weight". In the long term the added muscle will help you burn fat, and net pounds will then go down as your composition further shifts in favor of muscle and away from fat. Patience is needed. The body comp monitor can be helpful because you can actually see the changes in favor of adding muscle and ultimately decreasing fat, and you won't be distressed by focusing on weight that doesn't seem to change. But taking it on faith is fine. Just need to hang in there.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    could well be postpartum blues. As you know, massive hormonal changes post-baby - they can really knock you around. Being aware is half the battle: I'm having perimenopausal hormonal issues, and some days feel like crying for no reason, but knowing it's just my hormones helps me fight it.

Fatigue, sleep deprivation and stress can all have major effects on both your health status, emotions and weight loss or gain. When there's not a lot you can do to change things, you need to CUT YOURSELF SOME SLACK. I can't overemphasise this enough!!! Enjoy your baby!!! To heck with a few extra pounds!!! Even if you need to lose quite a lot of weight, don't beat yourself up over it - you're nurturing a new human being, that's the most important thing right now.

Regarding the lightheadedness, have you spoken to a doctor or a nursing consultant about that? I wonder if you're having blood pressure issues.

Be kind to yourself

almostGrok'd is offline Senior Member
    Stop. Breathe.
    take time to notice the little things........ how beautiful is the blue sky!! how sweet is your babies breath on your neck!!
    How lucky you are to have your health!! What a brilliant start to life you are giving your baby!!!
    YOU are worthy and you are doing a GREAT job.
    If you stop thinking about the negative things, you'll stop noticing the negative things and soon enough... NO MORE NEGATIVE things!!
    Joy and Infinite Blessings!

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow! Thank you to all of you for your kind support. I was a bit nervous putting myself out there....I appreciate your kindness towards me.

@ Geekgrrl: It may be my blood pressure...I am always on the low side so if it dips lower I do get light headed. Trying to increase my water and a bit more salt.

I will take your words to heart. Thanks again. My waist and hip measurements are down so that is definitely a positive. I do have more energy despite the lack of sleep. My two older boys will be spending the weekend with grandparents so my husband, baby and I will enjoy a restful weekend. We are planning a good hike with the stroller....that always feeds my soul. Thanks so much again. Blessings on each of you for your kindness.