Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling in a Day Job page

St.Robinson is offline Junior Member

Struggling in a Day Job

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone else felt a real struggle to sit at a desk for 8+ hours a day since going primal? I've always struggled with the concept of a "day job," but lately I have just spent the whole day wishing I could be anywhere but my desk. I have such strong desires now to be outside in the sunshine, play in the dirt, and use my body. Has anybody made the move from desk job to something more hands on, moving and shaking, or paleo-focused? What was your experience? Or, if you've felt this way, what have you done to make getting through the day in an office better?

meepster is online now Senior Member
    I work at home, not in an office, but what has really helped me is just getting up from my desk and doing some Shovelglove exercises every hour. This way my body gets to move a bit and I get to maintain some muscle mass.

I also have, on occasion, taken my computer outside and worked there. I should do that again, in fact; the weather has been absolutely gorgeous.

intrigued is offline Member
    Yes, absolutely. The problem is software pays a lot more than about anything else I could hope to get into that'd be better healthwise. Getting out for walks during lunch is something, but meh. It's also key to get out there as much as possible on the weekends.

There's advantages to being on a crappy diet where you have no energy, it makes sitting at a desk for 8hrs a day a lot easier. After hearing some of Mark's stuff on how he breaks up his work and everything, it really makes telecommuting/freelancing look a lot more appealing, but there's the barrier to entry and the risk involved. Maybe someday.

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Yes...once my energy level increased I couldn't stand my 30-year freelance career any more because it involved sitting endlessly for months at a time to finish big projects. Am in R & D phase now of inventing my new career...still have some residual income trickling in, thank goodness, plus a part-time freelance job that is (usually) not too intense or stressful. Another option is to go sideways...stay in my old career but from a different angle, so am trying that, too. But sitting in front of the computer for 8+ hours a day? Not.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Stuck indoors here--I sometimes fantasize about a physical job though. I try to strike a balance by:

• Bike commute. Once a week or so I'll wake up early and walk the whole way (2+ hours)
    • Invent timed rituals (10a, 3p, etc.) to fetch water, coffee, or tea. Make a circuitous route including stairs.
    • Spend the entire noon hour walking outdoors (various routes Mon-Fri). If I'm doing lunch I'll nibble slowly over 1p-2p. Keep a small knife in my desk drawer for fruit. If it's Nov-Feb I'll take my VitD at this time.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Steady is offline Senior Member
    I can sympathise with you St.Robinson. I work at a desk in a light controlled (very little light) environment so it pains me everyday to sit there. Unless it really is possible for you to re-invent yourself then I'm afraid you have to suck it up.

As other have suggested, get up regularly, bang out a few sets of BW squats and lunges, run up and down the stairs a few times, walk for your lunch break, get off the bus or train a few stops earlier and walk to and from the office and most importantly, make the very most of your evenings and weekends!

And as picklepete said, take some VitD if you are indoors a lot.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I jumped ship on the engineering world and became a high school physics teacher. Lots of walking, moving, and standing, as well as some creative movement during some projects and the occasional all out sprint to keep someone from breaking something or someone.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    I quit working all together, the whole thing is rather trite.

But yeah offices are blah. One thing I did to avoid that life when I used to work, was to work remote. Made it condition during negotiations that I would work from wherever I deemed appropriate. Some days in the office, some days at home, whatever fit given my work projects and personal life. Makes things a bit more tolerable.

DaMaakus is offline Junior Member
    Since I lost some pounds, sitting for longer durations at my desk makes me butt-hurt. Literally. I guess some of the cushioning is gone.
    But from a energetic point of view, I don't see much of a difference by now. I will keep an eye on it.

St.Robinson is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by intrigued View Post
    Yes, absolutely. The problem is software pays a lot more than about anything else I could hope to get into that'd be better healthwise. Getting out for walks during lunch is something, but meh. It's also key to get out there as much as possible on the weekends.

There's advantages to being on a crappy diet where you have no energy, it makes sitting at a desk for 8hrs a day a lot easier. After hearing some of Mark's stuff on how he breaks up his work and everything, it really makes telecommuting/freelancing look a lot more appealing, but there's the barrier to entry and the risk involved. Maybe someday.
    Good points re: crappy diet and having to sit all day. That would / did definitely make it easier! Sidenote: I'm in software too. I just (as in last night) sucked it up and wrote my manager an email explaining how my working from home could be beneficial to me and the company. My commute right now is an hour and twenty minute bus ride, so that is killlllllllleer. Anyway, point is, since were in more technical jobs, I think there's less barrier to entry for remote work. So long as I have wifi and a VPN- I'm good! Don't know if your situation is similar, but just a thought. I'm happy to DM you the message I sent my boss for a template--- if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast