Thread: DaMaakus' Journal page

DaMaakus is offline Junior Member

DaMaakus' Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hello everybody,

I want to make my own journal to keep track of my progress. I kind of started it already in the "Meet&Greet"-Forum, so I just will copy&paste those postings to this thread and keep going on from there.

Feedback will always be appreciated!

Hello everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself to the people in this forum.

My name is Markus and I'm from Germany (so, please mark any errors in my writing if you wish, so I can learn from it).

I'm going to turn 32 in November. I am 192 cm tall (about 6'3") and at the beginning of going primal I weigh in at 154,7 kg (round about 310 lbs).

I have always been fat my whole life, sometimes more, sometimes less, but mostly more. Three to four years ago, I did the NYD-Plan, with some tweaking to it.
    All in all it was low carb and pretty similiar to being primal. It worked and I went down close to 120 kg.
    Then I fell off the bandwagon, due to some changes in life, monetary problems, kind of depressive state, sleeping problems and especially I think, doing the right thing (diet) out of the wrong reasons (to please mostly other people and not out of concerns over my own health).
    So, I gained my lost weigth back to the point where I started and a bit more up untill 5 weeks ago, where I finally found the motiviation again to do some healthy things to me and my body and this time just for myself.

I bought the Primal Blueprint, read it, found it to be sensible and now I'm on it. I have to read it a second time to get my macros right, but I follow it by now to my best knowledge.

I'm eating meat (not grass-fed, I'm not rich, but the best meat I can get), fowl, eggs, vegetables, fruit and some dairy (I know, it is discussed to be not primal, but it helps me getting my fat and protein and I am apparantly not lactose-intolerant, so what). Also, I will try to add some offal to my plan (liver and heart mainly).

My calorie intake varys, from 1400kcal to 2200kcal. I used some calculators and it seems like I have to eat around 3500kcal a day to maintain my weight, so it suits me to eat 1500kcal less on average to obtain a loss of 1,0 to 1,5kg per week.
    I have to confess, I "cheat" mostly once every week, with some carb-rich food, to avoid kind of slowed metabolism and as part of my 80/20 rule. For now, it doesn't bother me and the weigth drops.
    On average, my macros split into ca. 100-150gr. Protein, 90-130gr. Fat and 10-75gr. Carbs per day.

As I said, I'm following the primal nutrition for 5 weeks now, starting on August 15th, with 154,7kg. Today I stepped on the scale and said 146,2kg. So, lost 8,5kg (~17lbs), at 1,7kg average loss per week, pretty much what I aimed for.
    My plan is to get down to 140kg till the midst of September and the I set a new goal (probably with my birthday in November as a deadline).

As a big goal: I want to get down to 120kg and then see, how my skin is going. I can't afford a surgery and I'd rather look a bit fat than having my skin wobbling around me and getting inflamed all the time.
    If the skin-thing is going to work out, I will drop even more, maybe below 100kg (200lbs).

So, after this looooong read, I have this things on my mind:

- Figuring out, what my macronutrients should be like
    - Getting started with the Primal Movements (I already started walking more and biking to my Butcher on the Weekend, but didn't do any heavy lifting due to an damaged vertebrea disk and didn't do any sprints by now, due to my big weight and getting exhausted pretty quickly, close to throwing up).

Thanks for reading (if anyone is doing it through this wall-of-text ) and if someone got anything to mention or add, I would appreciate it!

Grüße aus Deutschland

Markus
    a.k.a.
    DaMaakus

Hello everybody,

I wanted to update this, as I promised.

I stepped on the scale today and it showed 143,2 kg after 8 and a half weeks from the start.

So I lost 11,5 kg (I have no idea how many lbs. this might be, around 24? The imperial system is crazy.). Not very good but not very bad either, I guess. I didn't met my goal of losing 15kg though, but that's fine. At least I lost ca. 1,3 kg per week.

What did I expirience?

Pro:
    - Some people recognized my weight loss and complimented me on my smaller belly and thinner face (even though I don't see much of a difference myself, but that was to be expected)
    - Gassyness and bloating is mostly gone (except when I "cheat")
    - I used to have (muscle) pain in my lower back in the morning after getting out of bed. It is gone now.
    - I can walk up the hill towards my bus stop in a pretty good speed (compared to two months earlier) without getting sore legs and I catch my breath faster afterwards.
    - I save money from eating healthier and cooking for myself instead of eating fast-food and buying pre-made sandwiches and shit. Saving money allows me to dream of things I thought I couldn't do the next few years. Like getting a laser treatment for my eyes or going on vaccation for the first time in 7 years (maybe something near me with some friends for a week or maybe even going to the US for two weeks!) But all that might take a year or longer.

Con:
    - People now sit more frequently in the seat besides me on the bus.
    - I feel like growing more confident already, that may lead to some romantic advances towards the female part of the population in the near future and this is usually some kind of stressful, sooner or later.

Now, for my new goals:

I want to go down to 130kg till my birthday on November 19th. Around 9 and a half weeks for 13,2kg.
    I'm going to reach this goal by stepping on the scale more often, keeping better track of my food and don't cheat as often, but embrace strange days like yesterday, when I ate 10 eggs, 250gr. bacon and a large onion as scrambled eggs for breakfast, then had a big mango and three tangerines spread over the day and 100gr. cheese and the same amount of salami-sticks in the evening cause I couldn't stop eating. But I see this as a refeed and it wasn't that bad of food anyways.

Also, I want to introduce some kind of workout into my daily life. Until now, I just walked more, went one time hiking on a mountain with a friend (which resulted in knee pain for two weeks, due to partly running down-hill the hiking trail, I guess), but not much else for fitness purposes.
    I looked into the 100-push-ups program, also the 200-squats. I will pickup those programs (or at least the push-up thing) and try to do them at my best.
    I also looked into the 200-sit-ups, but I'm not sure of this.
    I know, those trainings aren't the best you could do, but I guess it is better than nothing.
    If I ever get down to a weigth, where pull-ups might be possible, I allready spotted a possible pull-up-bar at the local children's playground.

Another big thing to look into are my macronutrients.
    I think I don't get enough protein.
    Most of the times, I get between 120 and 190 gr. per day. Sometimes over 200, as it should be (at least 210gr. per day, if I remember correctly?)
    I think about supplementing with protein powder, but don't know exactly, what kind of protein is "allowed" (I own one with whey, casein and a third form in it, I think from eggs. But it also contains flavour and sweetener.). What do you guys think about it?

Have a nice day!

DaMaakus
    Last edited by DaMaakus; 09-17-2014 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Removing unnecessary part

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    11.5 kg = 25 lbs 5-1/2 oz, which is just a shade under 25 and a half pounds. Awesome progress!! Yeah, I know American weights and measures are complicated compared to metrics, but I LOVE my quirky system.

Markus, wandern ist auch wichtig und es gibt nichts besseres wie Mother Nature. Ich wohnte mal in Deutschland, und vermisse how everybody walks a lot more than here. As your weight drops, you will be able to add activities and Sport, and you will want to, too, because you will have much more energy, so don't be too hard on yourself. Das Ziel werden Sie schon erreichen!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Hi Crabbcakes!

Thank you and yes, I'm fine with my progress so far, too!
    I guess I will step on the scale on September 29th again. The coming Friday, I will be at a Volksfest (a fair?) close to where I live (no, not the Oktoberfest, I usually don't go there ) and I am bound to cheat, Weißbier is to good to not drink it.
    So I guess I won't see much of a change the upcoming Monday.
    I guess, I will never get the hang of using lbs and inch as measurements...

Danke für deinen Rat! I hope the urge to get some training occurs soon! But walking/hiking is a good thing to start so far.

Thanks again! Übrigens: Du darfst mich auch duzen, wenn du magst.