Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going fat-free vegan. Yes, really. page

PaleoMum is offline Member

Going fat-free vegan. Yes, really.

Primal Fuel
    Our whole family (me, husband, 3 kids aged 2-11) have been paleo for about six years, ever since our middle child was diagnosed with coeliac disease. I discovered paleo looking for healthy alternatives to uber-processed gluten-free foods and it made perfect sense. We have felt great eating this way, and our children are strong, bronzed and lean - they look as if they really do live in a cave.
    BUT. The one problem has been that my husband and I never lost any weight eating this way. Not too much of a problem for me - I'm a little overweight, but only maybe 10-15 pounds. My husband, on the other hand, weighs around 270lb. His system seems to be completely shot - he worked in Pizza Hut for years when he was young and the damage was done then. He was also vegetarian for 20 years, and not the sort that eats brown rice and lentil broth - the sort that eats pizza, pasta and bread.
    He has always been very self-conscious about his weight and has tried pretty much continually to lose weight for the last 10 years. Since we went primal he has tried fasting (lost a bit, not much), ultra low carb (again, lost a little bit, a few lb) and only eating one meal a day (lost nothing) among other things. It has been dispiriting.
    Now he has started to develop serious problems with his knees. Over the summer there have been times when he couldn't walk. He HAS to lose some weight. Having read the potato hack pages, and watched Denise Minger's video, we decided to try a fat-free vegan approach. Rice, potatoes, fruit, veg. Nothing else. Not calorie restricted, although not going mad and binging either.
    The result? He weighed himself yesterday and had lost 12lb in 11 days.
    The way I justify this to myself ancestrally is by thinking about hunter-gatherers. They probably never mixed fats and carbs. They would have days when they caught a gazelle and feasted on that. On other days, they would find berries and roots and eat them. But in a pre-agricultural society, it's hard to imagine them thinking "Ooh, I'll save those tubers, they'll go lovely with a roasted pig." Maybe my husband's body is more adjusted to a gatherer way of life?
    Would love to hear your views, but please, no hate - we have done this out of desparation x (ps me and the kids are still on the meat!)

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    I think it's fine to mix things up once in a while, especially if your husband's body seems agreeable to the change. In the long run, a vegan diet is likely to cause nutrient deficiencies, so it should be a temporary shift. You mentioned Denise Minger so you may have read her advice to vegans.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMum View Post
    Would love to hear your views, but please, no hate - we have done this out of desparation x (ps me and the kids are still on the meat!)
    Salut!
    I mentioned it somewhere else but I think, considering what you said about your husband (and maybe yourself), you can try the high starch - legumes - bone broth diet (6 days a week, eat tubers, spuds, properly prepared legumes like lentils, peas, beans) and on the 7th day, eat as much meat / organs / fish / eggs / full fat dairy as you can. Continue until ideal weight. Don't forget vit D and K2 if you have to supplement. Vit A from eggs and ruminant liver would do well once a week.

Thanks for the suggestion FrenchFry, that's an interesting idea. I might suggest that to him. And Sharperhawk, I hadn't read that so I'll defo have a look!

Had a look at Denise Minger - the supplementation stuff is interesting but I'm concerned that the body doesn't metabolise those types of micronutrients properly from supplements rather than food. Anyhoo... he is definitely eating "real food"! Am cooking vat upon vat of delicious veggie stews for him

God
    God is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I don't think this is such a bad thing if it works for you, but I wouldn't be a purist about it.

Like FrenchFry mentioned, eating organs and some dairy once a week would be a good way to keep your micronutrients going well.

Honestly, vegetables are a fucking joke when it comes to nutrients. Seriously, they're mainly good for texture in cooking. Low calorie, bland flavor and a tiny bit of micronutrient - I don't reckon they live up to all the hype. I actually did the math one day - you'd need to eat at least nine cups of veg a day to get any real nutrition from them.

He's probably losing weight because that food is fucking BLAND and unappetizing. Potatoes, without any butter on them? What kind of sick joke is this?

So yeah. Eat organs.
    Last edited by God; 09-15-2014 at 07:00 AM.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Hey, I don't think this is such a bad thing if it works for you, but I wouldn't be a purist about it.

Like FrenchFry mentioned, eating organs and some dairy once a week would be a good way to keep your micronutrients going well.

Honestly, vegetables are a fucking joke when it comes to nutrients. Seriously, they're mainly good for texture in cooking. Low calorie, bland flavor and a tiny bit of micronutrient - I don't reckon they live up to all the hype. I actually did the math one day - you'd need to eat at least nine cups of veg a day to get any real nutrition from them.

He's probably losing weight because that food is fucking BLAND and unappetizing. Potatoes, without any butter on them? What kind of sick joke is this?

So yeah. Eat organs.
    Just for reference, if I recall, terry Wahls recommended about 9 cups a day of colorful veggies to get a full dose of vitamins and minerals.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I think it's a good idea if it works for him. Maybe he can just eat some oysters once a week. I'm currently doing ultra low-fat(20-40g day), high protein but with meat/dairy. I do well with it because i don't digest high fat well. Potatoes are about half of my diet right now and I love it. I think the best weight loss protocol is the one you can stick with and gets results. Don't worry about the haters. Everyone has different needs at different times. Changing things up is natural.
    Last edited by j3nn; 09-15-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    is it possible he's just dramatically slashed his calories?

agree with the idea of an "animal refeed" and will suggest using gelatin and bone broth during the week too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    is it possible he's just dramatically slashed his calories?

agree with the idea of an "animal refeed" and will suggest using gelatin and bone broth during the week too.
    Yeah my first thought was "maybe can't lose fat if simply eating too much (fat).

Sent by electronic carrier pigeon.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast