Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking creative ideas from Nutrition Geeks page

Robyn is offline Member

Lightbulb Seeking creative ideas from Nutrition Geeks

I was going to start out saying I wanted to make my own Soylent Green but between the sci-fi movie and the fake food, I knew that would give you the wrong idea. But, yeah, that's kinda what I want.

Help me out if you're inspired!

Here's the deal:

I'm in an "interesting" time in my life (will elaborate briefly if asked) and challenged with getting enough of the basics [nutrients/calories, restorative sleep, movement]. I'm losing too much weight and my body is stressed, to say the least.

I'm a 50 yo female, 5'5", ~ 115 lbs by the feel of it. This is too low for me.

When I'm able to eat a full real meal, I try to get the most variety and bang for my calorie but am not orthorexic about it.

I eat real whole delicious food and mostly cook for myself. No issues with dairy or animal protein except for eggs. I eat all manner of vegetable and fruit. Rice, potatoes, corn. Fats are typically from the grass-fed ruminant I'm eating, butter and occasionally coconut oil. Olive oil in home-made salad dressing.

A typical day's meals these days:
    Breakfast: Black tea with whole milk and honey or sugar. Cottage cheese and melon.
    Lunch and Dinner: Meat / vegetable / starch / fat based on the "real whole delicious food" described above

So, all sounds good, ya?

The problem is that due to lack of sleep and stress levels I'm having a hard time eating more than, I'm guessing, 200 calories at a sitting. Small meals. Too small. Sometimes I skip entire meals. Bad. Sometimes I force something down.

It's the vicious cycle of
    high stress = no sleep + no food
    no food + no sleep = higher stress

Stress-reducing strategies include spending time with close friends walking/hiking, talking about stuff, laughing.

What say ye, good people?
    I do whatever my microbiome tells me.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    We the people (ok, me the person) think that you should let us know as briefly as possible what the actual problem is. That way, we can give thoughtful responses instead of just giving generic 'eat more' advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Robyn is offline Member
    Agreed.

OK, this isn't brief. Apologies in advance.

- Late July, my lively intelligent healthy 78 yo mother, whom I adore, has two health "events". She's diagnosed two weeks later with moderate-to-severe congestive heart failure. This woman literally hasn't been in a hospital since the day she gave birth to me. Takes no pills. Healthy mid-western farm stock. So mom, my sibs and I are wrapping our brains around these sudden new health facts.

- Mid-August, I move mom to a smaller, level, low-maintenance home so she doesn't have to go up/down stairs, etc. Moving is so much fun and couldn't be less stressful, but for some reason it wore me out emotionally and physically. I got quite hyper-vigilant in response. Go figure.

- Mom's hubby (not my dad) has moderate-to-severe COPD and other health issues largely due to a lifetime of drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney. Mom, sibs and I agree we're seeing in him early signs of dementia. He's also just "a piece of work" IMO and has been the 20 years I've known him. His favorite thing now is to get on da Interwebz, look up mom's upcoming tests (ie. echocardiagram) and scare the shit out her with mis-information.

- After a relaxing week with mom and hubby, I start the 400 mile drive home. I stop to give her a quick buzz and she tells me she's holding in her hands information about her birth parents. This is something the two of us have been working to find for years. OH MY GOD !!! OH MY GOD !!! This is extremely good news but my emotional circuits blow from overload. The 7 hour drive takes me 10 hours cuz I'm a bit weepy, ya know?

- Three days after arriving home, I'm super busy catching up on work (self-employed) and personal life. Roof is being torn off my house. It's loud and scary so I take my small dog out with me for the day. Warm day but I park in the shade with windows down, water in the car, etc. Still a terrible, terrible idea. My car gets very hot very quickly I learn. Won't get too gory here but I have to save my dog's life by soaking her to the skin repeatedly with water. Emotional circuits blow again.

There you have it! Thanks for making it this far.

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    Are you really eating only 600 calories per day?

Drinking calories is a big pitfall for people who are unintentionally gaining weight, so it should be a good tool for you. Have a smoothie with every meal. Put some olive oil in it. You seem to be OK with dairy, so whey powder will help with protein.

Robyn is offline Member
    Not sure about the 600 cals. I have a Chronometer account but no time now to track. Used to track quite a bit though, so I have a pretty good feeling for calorie counts.

My pants went from tight to very baggy over a three week period.

I agree, liquid nutrition is my friend. Goes down fast and can be made very palatable. I like your oil idea.

Currently I do plain kefir mixed with OJ and potato starch before bed. (OK, so I like to hack a bit) Sometimes I do this again during the day, adding high-quality whey powder.

That combo is what gave me the idea for creating my own personal Soylent Green for use during unusually stressful times.

Robyn is offline Member
    Re-reading this. Recognize that I blather. Sorry folks. Appreciate any wisdom.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    If you want liquid nutrition, milk and juice are good. Add some gelatin.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Kind of do the opposite of what is advised to those who are having trouble losing.

Have you ever tried butter or coconut oil in your tea? Cottage cheese is great, but how about other higher fat cheeses to go with your melon? If you like the creaminess of cottage cheese, full fat ricotta might work for you. But there are tons of cheeses that go deliciously with melon. For small quantities of cheeses from cow, goat, and sheep, Whole Foods' cheese counter is wonderful.

Do you like nut butters? Not something to base a whole diet around, but certainly a quick way to get some calories.

Jerky. Takes a piece of meat and shrinks it to about half its size by taking out the water. Might be an easy way for you to get some more calories and protein even when you feel like you don't want a big meal.

Potatoes pan-fried in duck fat. Dip into duck fat garlic aioli.

Start working on getting more sleep. Before you get frazzled enough that you're sobbing in some doctor's office.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Re-reading this. Recognize that I blather. Sorry folks. Appreciate any wisdom.
    I went through a similar scenario where every shit thing happened at once. I know where you're coming from, and I sympathise. I tend to over-eat as a stress reaction, a particular favourite was almond/peanut butter. Try that after a meal as a pudding. And as Eliot suggested, liquid calories are easy to get down.
    You might benefit seeing a counsellor or someone of the sort, just to vent and get everything off your chest and help you find ways of dealing with what your facing.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Robyn is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Potatoes pan-fried in duck fat. Dip into duck fat garlic aioli.
    Delicious food suggestions there, JoanieL. All of 'em. Thanks.

Today I'm going to rest, eat, laugh and get some time in the sun. Maybe top it off with a sprinkle of Ativan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast