Thread: 90/10 page

Welshandrew is offline Junior Member

90/10

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'am interested to know everyone's opinion on this. I have been eating primal for months now at 90/10 my question is how much does eating one day of crap interfere with weight loss ?

I'am trying to get to 100% but I find the weekend particularly difficult. Having said that I am better than I used to be as usually Friday and Saturday consisted of drinking lots beer and eating crap, I know longer drink but I still find it hard to resist the eating crap on this one day.

My last question is how do you know you are you ketosis ?

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    If you have been doing this for months you should know by now whether your weekend binges are interfering with weight loss or not. if they are, then you know what to do. If not, then you have nothing to worry about.

Welshandrew is offline Junior Member
    Fair point I suppose .... I need to knuckle down more

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    I never understood the concept of 90/10 or 80/20, etc. Also one day of bad food seems like 86/14. I take the attitude that if I think a food is bad for me then I don't want to eat it at all. Otherwise I would be eating it all the time and pizza/beer would be my major food group.

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    I always took it as more of a piece of mindset advice than a true guide on volume, especially in respect to one off special events or travel/opportunity related culinary experiences. If you eat 20% processed food by either time allocated or physical volume, you're setting yourself up for some non optimal health outcomes, fat deposition being the least concerning one.

The gist of 80/20 or 90/10 to me is that you shouldn't beat yourself up for making one sub optimal decision among a wealth of good ones, and if you're having trouble transitioning a cold turkey switch is not the only solution. But if you make bad decisions a part of your routine, rather than an occasional unplanned indulgence, then you're not doing yourself any favours.

relhaopyla is offline Junior Member
    I need to knuckle down more!
    Last edited by relhaopyla; 09-15-2014 at 12:03 AM.

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    If I am going to have a bit of a binge (this weekend it was hot chicken wings and cold beer) I try to get myself in a nutrient depleted state first. Go to the gym, work like an animal and then eat. Any carbs will be hovered up by glycogen depleted muscles and the over eating becomes a positive. It will also taste better when you have earned it.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshandrew View Post
    I'am interested to know everyone's opinion on this. I have been eating primal for months now at 90/10 my question is how much does eating one day of crap interfere with weight loss ?
    I was 99/1 for the entire first year!

Probably one of the few people on this forum with experience going that strict. I can actually remember each cheat meal there were so few; a 1/2 latte in Feb because I forgot lattes have milk, a piece of cake in Feb, a hamburger in July, a pizza around year end.

From that experience I would say zero cheats makes things a lot easier.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    If a "cheat meal" means a crappy meal from some dubious restaurant (fast-food and the likes), I must say I have 0 such meal.
    Last time I ate out, it was really worth it! and it was far from being crappy, but that's just because that's how I choose it: if I am to eat out, it must taste and look much better than what I cook at home. There is no point otherwise. And that makes me eat out very rarely because that translates into a significant expense when I do ...

When it comes to friends and family, they all know that I am not eating the standard stuff (bread, flour and derivatives, refined sugar, refined seed oils) and that I fast regularly so it is not a "social issue".

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    One day out of seven days is 86/14. Unless you binge on that day. IOW, if you average 2000 calories per day six days a week, but your "20" day is three or four thousand calories, you change up the ratio.

I figure do the best you can. If your previous way of eating was total crap, 86/14 or even 80/20 (which I consider very high crap) is better than what you were doing.

There comes a day of reckoning whenever you change something. Do you want to drink once a week or give it up completely? Do you want to do 80/20 or do almost 100%? Do you want to smoke four cigarettes a day, or finally quit? It's all up to the individual as to how they want to approach life.

The Buddah lived in luxury. He gave it up to live in poverty. Eventually he felt that the middle road was best. Some people live in extremes, and some in moderation. It's all up to you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.