Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassed...Time to Refocus! page

BarkerFit is offline Junior Member

Embarrassed...Time to Refocus!

Primal Fuel
    Good evening readers,

It has been quite a long time since I posted on this forum...January was my last post I believe. In my last post, I was excited about getting back into the Primal Lifestyle before rejoining Crossfit. I ended up rejoining Crossfit in May...and it was short lived...a total of 2 weeks, but with all the intentions of going back the next week and giving it another shot as well as signing a 6 month contract. It didn't happen.

So where am I at now?

I started a new career in the beginning of July. It is a huge change from what I was doing previously (working 5 random shifts a week as a retail manager) and I am happy to now have a set schedule (830am to 5pm Monday to Friday). Unfortunately, I have been unable to get things going again with the Primal Lifestyle and my weight has increased to 230 pounds. This is the heaviest I've ever been and it's really depressing. I used to be relatively active and have not done any physical activity since those two weeks of Crossfit back in May. I have a good idea why things have gone down hill, but I want to refocus my efforts and succeed and finally embrace the Primal Lifestyle.

I have an aggressive goal to get back down to 200 pounds in the next ten weeks (starting Monday). The end of those ten weeks is my 27th birthday and I'd really like to give myself this "present" of better health.

So that's my goal...30 pounds in 10 weeks.

I will post additional stats on Monday. I will also take a "before" picture to post on my 27th birthday so people can see my progress.

Also, if anyone can help me out with this question...for calculating my body fat, I've been assuming my lean body mass is 150 pounds (I'm 5'11"). I don't think this is accurate at all because I see a lot of people on here with body weights of around 150 at the same height. Does anyone have a better way to calculate body fat without having to go to a doctor or trainer and getting some sort of costly scan? I have a caliper and a tape measure, but not sure if either is sufficient.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarkerFit View Post
    Also, if anyone can help me out with this question...for calculating my body fat, I've been assuming my lean body mass is 150 pounds (I'm 5'11"). I don't think this is accurate at all because I see a lot of people on here with body weights of around 150 at the same height. Does anyone have a better way to calculate body fat without having to go to a doctor or trainer and getting some sort of costly scan? I have a caliper and a tape measure, but not sure if either is sufficient.
    Good morning, reader.

I'd say to hell with numbers! Go with the look (mirror), and how loose your clothes become.
    Besides, now that you got yourself a steady job time-wise, it is time to get a nice routine.
    How is food at work ?
    How is your breakfast ?
    Can you sneak in some work-out at lunch time ?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, BarkerFit. You have a good goal, now you need a plan. Good luck for your primal journey.

perennialpam is online now Senior Member
    Just do it! Hey, that is what I keep telling myself. I don't need to know my BMI to see how much fat I carry around. It is obvious. I would like to lose about 20 lbs myself. Goals are good but 30 lbs/10 weeks sounds extremely difficult. Best wishes.

Thanks for the responses/feedback!

I am going to take this journey day by day. I didn't get a chance today to prep any food for tomorrow, so the plan is to skip breakfast (maybe have some tea or coffee...with nothing added) and get a big salad with some protein, balsamic, and olive oil for lunch. For dinner tomorrow, I will do a basic stir-fry of sorts with either chicken, shrimp, or eggs. I'd like to be as low carb as possible without killing anyone, so if I can stay under 100 grams I'll be happy, then again I won't be keeping track of anything because it's time consuming and demotivating.

My 30 pound loss in 10 weeks is a bit aggressive and I am going to work on focusing more on how I look and feel. Weight is just a number and I guess it's one of those "conventional" habits I am used to. However, I will still update tomorrow with my stats and I might change my mind about posting a pic.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 231.2
    Body Fat %: 37.3% (estimated)
    Body Fat Total: 86.2 (estimated)
    Lean Body Mass: 145 (estimated)
    Neck: 17"
    Chest: 44"
    Waist: 41"
    Hips: 44"
    Biceps: 13.5"
    Forearms: 11.5"
    Quads: 25"
    Calves: 16"

Still embarrassed...

Haven't done much to change my eating habits. I've been on and off primal for the past three weeks, but mostly off. I've got seven weeks now until my 27th birthday and I really want to make the change. I am going to do everything in my power to stick to the primal blueprint 100%.

Part of my issue is my living situation. Untidy kitchen being shared with six other people and three dogs. Plus, I only have half a shelf in the fridge if I am lucky. There's a housekeeper coming tomorrow, so I should be able to get back in the kitchen to start cooking for myself. There's also a possibility of moving out and moving into an apartment with my father. Many positives to that situation: I could ride my bike to work, I would join the Crossfit gym that's 1.5 miles away and ride my bike there, my father is the one who originally introduced me to paleo (but neither of us have stuck to it long term) and we would encourage each other to get primal, and I'd be in complete control of the kitchen (I'm a control freak...). If I decide to move it won't be for another month and a half or so until after my trip to Disney the second week of November.

So in the meantime, I've got to focus 100% on creating this primal lifestyle and getting my ass in shape. I have 33 days until my vacation so it would be nice to lose at least half a pound a day until then.

Update tomorrow with my stats.

Monday, October 6, 2014:

Weight: 228.5
    Body Fat %: 34.35%
    Body Fat Total: 78.5
    Lean Body Mass: 150

Neck: 16.5"
    Chest: 43.5"
    Waist: 41.0"
    Hips: 43.5"
    Biceps: 13.5"
    Forearms: 11.0"
    Quads: 24.5"
    Calves: 16.0"

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Good luck BarkerFit. Your living situation does make things more difficult, but if you are to see the results, you have to stick with the program, even if it is tough to do.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Rig! You are absolutely right. I am doing what I can to stay 100% committed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast