Thread: what is low cholesterol? page

Sharon is offline Member

what is low cholesterol?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What i'm wondering about is the correlation between low cholesterol and depression/anxiety.
    So cholesterol is vital for good brain function and a link has been shown between low cholesterol and these conditions. I am confused about the numbers they talk about. usually they talk about TC and how this number shouldn't be lower than 150 but is that the one to look at? What about HDL? So when is cholesterol low and considered too low?
    thanks.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    I believe LDL cholesterol would be the one that feeds steroid hormone production. HDL mostly returns cholesterol to the liver for recycling.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Sharon, 160 mg/dL total is considered low but I don't know about individual numbers. If my memory serves, actual low cholesterol tends to be caused by disrupted liver function coupled with poor levels of intake. If your liver is inhibited too much you tend to die pretty young; I know there's at least one syndrome for that.

M.

Sharon is offline Member
    Yes, higher mortality rates, especially with woman and low cholesterol. Usually the studies talk of TC but my GP says it's the HDL that's important. so yeah people like to lower their cholesterol numbers, the appropriate ones at least, but what about natural low numbers? how good/bad are they? what causes them? how can one help them? there's the correlation between folks on statin and depression. 25% of cholesterol is found in the brain. and what about VitD? been paleo for two years and my levels haven't budged while i see hordes of people's numbers going up. I always wonder about my liver. i don't have signs but instinctively i feel my liver is my weak spot. though i might be wrong. I have a history of depression/anxiety and wonder about the physical aspect. Going paleo has done wonders but i feel more causes need to be adressed. thank you.

my numbers if anyone wants to comment:
    TC 144
    Trig 54
    HDL 64
    LDL 69
    non LDL 80

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Cholesterol is affected by various things. Eating polyunsaturated fat tends to lower your cholesterol (not in a healthy way). Magnesium can lower your cholesterol (in a healthy way). Thyroid hormones tend to lower your cholesterol (in a healthy way). Diseases can also affect your cholesterol levels. It's a complicated function.

Your vitamin D levels should change in response to eating vitamin D or being in the sunlight.