Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal: a bowl of jelly beans, or cholesterol fighter? page

zebonaut is offline Senior Member

Oatmeal: a bowl of jelly beans, or cholesterol fighter?

Primal Fuel
    For years we have been told directly that oatmeal is healthy and lowers cholesterol and prevents heart disease. I now believe this to be a scam; and no longer eat it. Am I not correct that it spikes blood sugar , insulin and triglycerides and causes type 2 diabetes? Is there any truth at all to all those oatmeal claims or is it just quaker oats corporate research?

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebonaut View Post
    For years we have been told directly that oatmeal is healthy and lowers cholesterol and prevents heart disease. I now believe this to be a scam; and no longer eat it. Am I not correct that it spikes blood sugar , insulin and triglycerides and causes type 2 diabetes? Is there any truth at all to all those oatmeal claims or is it just quaker oats corporate research?
    Oat is not unhealthy, it is quite full of fermentable carbs and other things, it makes you feel really full for hours and part of the recognized health benefits are probably not a scam. I mean, it is no magic bullet but if it helps colonic health, it will do some good.

My problem with oat is the taste. You have to add so many things in it to make it palatable, it is a waste of time.

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    My problem with oat is the taste. You have to add so many things in it to make it palatable, it is a waste of time.
    Really? I love plain oatmeal. It's how I've made it my entire life, just oats and water.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebonaut View Post
    Oatmeal increases blood sugar, as glucose and starch do. It also increases insulin levels, which will rise in response to glucose. It might raise triglycerides. This tends to happen as one switches from a high-fat to a high-carb diet. Oatmeal is not unique in this way.

Oatmeal is not particularly nutritious, so a high-oatmeal-diet may contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes, but it's not guaranteed.

I think you've been scared by the anti-carb movement.
    Last edited by Elliot; 09-12-2014 at 03:31 PM.

TQP
    TQP is offline Senior Member

Oatmeal: a bowl of jelly beans, or cholesterol fighter?

It's not a health food but not a toxin either. Take it or leave it sort of food based on personal preference.

I like it but I tend to eat a lot more calories when I eat oats/rice than when I just get my carbs from fruits/tubers, so I tend to just eat fruits/tubers instead. I do eat maybe ~1 cup dried gf oats a week. I eat wayyyy more bananas, grapes, melons, organic potatoes, and etc.

Rawnola: medjool dates, oats, optional cacao or coconut flakes. Perfect topping for banana soft serves or as a raw dessert truffle/brownie.

Even if it's just a clean carb source like rice, I think it's worth eating. I love it with some butter, cinnamon, raw honey or maple syrup, and a spash of raw milk. Or sometimes with a couple tbsps of peanut butter and a tbsp of some kind of preserve or jam

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Oatmeal increases blood sugar, as glucose and starch do. It also increases insulin levels, which will rise in response to glucose. It might raise triglycerides. This tends to happen as one switches from a high-fat to a high-carb diet. Oatmeal is not unique in this way.

Oatmeal is not particularly nutritious, so a high-oatmeal-diet may contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes, but it's not guaranteed.

I think you've been scared by the anti-carb movement.

This PLUS it will tend to lower LDL (which CW likes) but with higher trigs your LDL will hard and dense.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sabrina90 is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you, lotusberries. I love plain oatmeal, although I add milk so I guess that's not technically "plain" but whatever. I'll have GF oats once a week or so. Not that great nutrition wise but not terrible either and I love it so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    This PLUS it will tend to lower LDL (which CW likes) but with higher trigs your LDL will hard and dense.
    I don't think that's necessarily true. Eating oatmeal shouldn't oxidize your ldl. I mean, maybe someone else will chime in on that, but I can't think of a reason why it would

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My boyfriend lowered his cholesterol with the 8 week cholesterol cure. Part of that was eating a ton of oat bran.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast