Thread: Kids and Dietary Fat page

STA
    STA is offline Junior Member

Kids and Dietary Fat

Shop Now
    Me: pure primal
    Wife: vegetarian for last 18 yr
    Kids: 2.5 and 4.5

Wife is happy that I like the primal lifestyle but is not interested in learning about it. She eats her GoLean Cereal with organic FF milk and I eat my pastured eggs and uncured bacon. We kind of each feed the kids according to our lifestyles. They get virtually no added sugar and zero HFCS so I don't argue too much when they are eating the hippy bread and pasta. Problem is the fat. The kids are perfect weight-wise and I see no problem giving them tons of fat. My wife doesn't argue too much when I slather the butter on their french toast or give them scoops of coconut oil, but my buying whole milk for them instead of FF brought us to a conflict.

Anybody have any ideas how to respond to the statement: "The kids can't be eating saturated fat all the time"

I'm not looking for anything snarky; maybe just an educational statement that would make sense to a mom fully entrenched in the hippy-SAD.

goingprimal is offline Senior Member
    Give her this link - just one study, but if milk is her breaking point, here is some evidence that high fat might be better for the kiddos:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/169756.php

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    im assuming she doesnt want them eating fat because she still thinks saturated fat "clogs" arteries????

this is not the case. inflammation (from stress and a bad omega-6 ratios, insulin resistance from vegetable oils and excessive grains) causes lesions on the arteries. This type of inflammation is completley unconnected to EATING SATURATED FAT and CHOLESTEROL. Nevertheless, the body adapts to this inflammation sequence by using cholesterol as a band-aid to cover up the lesions until healing can take place – which, of course, almost never happens since most continue to live the same pro-inflammatory lifestyle. Eventually, the cholesterol band-aids harden (sclerosis), narrow the arteries and sometimes break off causing a heart attack.

eating saturated fat and dietary cholesterol from animals will not cause a heart attack. Saturated fat is known to raise your HDL count (good cholesterol) levels. HDL regulates LDL (bad cholesterol) and also lowers Tryglcerides,
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-08-2010 at 12:15 PM.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Saturated fat is also a fantastic source of energy, at least if you trust your body to make the right decision – otherwise, why else would we store excess carbohydrates as saturated body fat? In fact, when we burn body fat for energy, either through exercise or through dieting, we are quite literally consuming huge amounts of saturated (and monounsaturated) fat. Body fat is energy to be used for later; dietary fat is energy to be used immediately. Whether you’re burning through your stores of adipose tissue or downing flagons of warm ghee, all that fat goes through the same processes in your body to be converted to energy. Burn your ass flab, take a bite of fatty rib-eye – it doesn’t matter. Your body treats that fat the same way. As Richard and Tom have said before, losing weight is like eating pure lard, which has nearly the same fatty acid composition as human adipose tissue. To vilify saturated fat is to assume that, over the span of our evolution, our bodies have somehow developed a predilection for a deleterious energy source that contributes to cardiovascular disease. That’s absolutely preposterous, unless Darwin and company somehow got it all wrong with the whole natural selection thing. Somehow, I’m leaning toward trusting the millions of years old case study known as evolution.

taken from:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    What she said =)
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Or - make a compromise and buy 2%. It's clos(er) to whole.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It looks as if saturated fat has many other healthy qualities besides lowering heart disease risk. This article is epic. And what are our big sources of saturated fat? Beef tallow, butter, and coconut oil, and maybe palm oil if you have no taste buds. There are TONS of health benefits to these foods, and so if it has literally no downside and many mighty positives, doesn't that qualify it as a health food?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Ask her, why is there saturated fat in mother's breast milk?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STA View Post
    My wife doesn't argue too much when I slather the butter on their french toast or give them scoops of coconut oil, but my buying whole milk for them instead of FF brought us to a conflict.
    I'm not sure what would convince her since I don't understand in the first place why butter and coconut oil are OK but whole milk isn't. Aren't the former, in amounts like "slathered" and "scoops of", *higher* in saturated fat?

Millie Ivy is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Maybe would she read Real Foods by Nina Planck and/or her second book Real Foods for Mother and Babies (or something like that.)
    Also, Full Moon Feast by Jessica Prentice is FANTASTIC, especially for the "hippy" minded. ;-)

Starting to learn about traditional foods is what got me to finally say goodbye to veg*nism for good. The Real Foods book alone converted a good friend of mine who still eats a "hippy vegetarian" diet with the addition of local raw milk, local grassfed and pastured meats and eggs, and coconut oil.
    Maybe she would glean something helpful from them? They both are really lovely books, without alot of censure or anything, just logical ideas about the way we have eaten up until the last century. Not Primal, but nutrient dense, "old" food, stressing higher fats, saturated fat, and well, real foods.

I hope you are able to come to some agreement, and I really hope she can see the wisdom in feeding sat fat to the kids. Their brains (among other things) need it a lot right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast