Thread: New at This - How Much Is Too Much? page

lgyre is offline Junior Member

New at This - How Much Is Too Much?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, so I've been falling on and off the primal food wagon for over a year. I'm currently back on, and this time I'm trying to add the fitness. I think of myself as a moderately fit person from walking, yoga, and t-tapp workouts, but I feel like I'm barely doing the primal routine and it's already crushing me.

On day one I started with the body-weight exercises and managed to get to 17 knee pushups, 5 assisted pull ups, 15 squats and 2 minutes of hands and knees plank.

Day two I did a short yoga routine, day three sprints, day four yoga again, and I was sore all week in different ways but it was all fine enough.

This morning I SLIGHTLY upped my counts (20 squats) and then surprised myself by being able to get through a second set. Now, about an hour later, I feel mostly fine but I can barely walk. That workout was hard for me, but I feel like I followed the directions, and wasn't even extremely strict about getting in every last rep I could possibly squeeze in without waiting more than five seconds because I'm kind of wimpy about exercise.

I'm guessing I'm going to be in significant pain for a long time from that workout. So, I guess I have two questions:

1) Should I wait and not work out until I'm not sore from the last time?
    2) Is there any way to tell if I'm overdoing it before I do it?

Ok, three I guess.

3) Am I going to be in constant pain as long as I keep following this schedule of increasing intensity? And I'm supposed to do that basically forever, right?

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong

Caveman_chris is offline Junior Member
    DOMS will subside with frequency and protein. At the peak of my stronglifts routine I was smashing PBs and getting no DOMS at all.

Slagathor is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman_chris View Post
    DOMS will subside with frequency and protein. At the peak of my stronglifts routine I was smashing PBs and getting no DOMS at all.
    100% Agree, 3 workouts is still very early in your adventure. The muscle soreness (DOMS) will lessen as you go. A substantially hard workout and always cause them to come back to some extent depending on a host of variables, but just stick with it and if it's really bothering you too much, just scale it back a little for a little while and then start ramping up the intensity again once you feel better.

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    Keep at it! Movement helps me to get over soreness. After a tough day sprinting I usually go for a light ride on the beach cruiser or a swim either the next day or later in the day. Movement will get more oxygenated blood back to the sore areas and help you overcome it. Also jumping in a brisk pool/lake/ocean can help speed the process up
    Male 40 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    You'll mostly stop getting sore once you sink into a routine. The type of exercise matters a lot more than the frequency when it comes to soreness. For example, if you do sets of 20 bodyweight squats for a few weeks, they'll probably stop making you sore.
    Webptrainer.com
    The Latest in Nutrition and Anatomy-Based Personal Training.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lgyre View Post
    1) Should I wait and not work out until I'm not sore from the last time?
    2) Is there any way to tell if I'm overdoing it before I do it?

Ok, three I guess.

3) Am I going to be in constant pain as long as I keep following this schedule of increasing intensity? And I'm supposed to do that basically forever, right?

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong
    You'll get used to the routine eventually and won't be so sore.

It's okay to do another workout if you are still sore. Give yourself at least a day of rest but if you are still sore you might actually find the workout will relieve some pain. Go for walks on your rest days, too. That also relieves the pain.

It's only overdoing it if after a while the accumulated stress starts to make you feel like a dark cloud is hovering over you all the time. If you start feeling depressed, super tired, unable to sleep and the thought of doing any exercise at all is revolting then yeah, you've accumulated too much stress and are doing too much. This feels way different from sore muscles. Way different from normal laziness, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

lgyre is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just keep doing it.