Thread: Can you stop having periods? page

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member

Question Can you stop having periods?

Primal Fuel
    Disclaimer: I'm not a woman, I'm just curious.

Can a lot of exercise make a 20-something fertile average woman stop having periods? If that's possible:

1) For how long can they be period-free? Do they have periods just once in a few months?

2) Is it healthy? Exercise is supposed to be healthy isn't it?

3) I've heard somewhere that it isn't normal for women to have that many periods, and that they had less in the past, maybe only once in a few months. This could be explained by modern women doing barely any exercise, what do you think?

4) If they don't have periods are they infertile or can they still have kids?

Slagathor is offline Senior Member
    I know girls in my HS cross country team and other teams would miss periods and a few top runners even went without them for long periods of time when training was intense. I have no other information to add but I know it is possible. Don't know if it's good or bad though, but it didn't seem to have any negative effects for the girls I knew.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yes, this is very common. I lost my period for 9 months the only time in my life I was ever skinny enough to wear a bikini. It can happen either with too much weight loss or too much exercise. It's called Exercise Induced Amenorrhea and it's not healthy. Normally women have a period ever 28-32 days. In the old times women had fewer periods because they breast fed for many years after pregnancy and were pregnant a lot more times in their lives than they are now. You can still get pregnant without a period but it's less likely. Exercise Induced Amenorrhea is not a birth control method at all. You don't get a free pass because your girlfriend has amenorrhea.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yes, this is very common. I lost my period for 9 months the only time in my life I was ever skinny enough to wear a bikini. It can happen either with too much weight loss or too much exercise. It's called Exercise Induced Amenorrhea and it's not healthy. Normally women have a period ever 28-32 days. In the old times women had fewer periods because they breast fed for many years after pregnancy and were pregnant a lot more times in their lives than they are now. You can still get pregnant without a period but it's less likely. Exercise Induced Amenorrhea is not a birth control method at all. You don't get a free pass because your girlfriend has amenorrhea.
    Too bad, thankfully I'm not a girl (yay!), I'll let my many, beautiful, attractive, sexy, innumerable... future girlfriends, know what you just told me *laughs*