Thread: Mission Trip Food page

yodiewan is online now Senior Member

Mission Trip Food

I'm going on a mission trip to Haiti in a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to helping people and doing some good. We (our team) are staying at a facility that will provide us breakfast and supper. From what I've heard, the food will be lots of grains, some fruit and vegetables, and little meat or fat. Pretty much the opposite of primal. I don't want to appear picky or ungrateful, and I'm not sure if the facility could accomodate my dietary choices anyway. I was debating bringing some jerky or something to help some. Any other suggestions? What would you do in this situation?

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    Can you bring canned goods? I'd bring canned salmon, tuna and turkey. I'd pack lots of nuts, jerky and dried fruit.

I'd also try not to worry too much about the food - do the best you can with what's available and enjoy the experience!
    Last edited by Puddymama; 07-08-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    uhh what mission? was there a disaster in Hawaii i don't know about?

Emmelle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    uhh what mission? was there a disaster in Hawaii i don't know about?

lol, Russ. Haiti

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    @Russ: Haha, yes. definitely not Hawaii
    @Emmelle: Thanks for the tips. Canned food is a good idea that I hadn't really considered, other than my much beloved sardines, heh. Also, I'm trying to take your advice and not worry about it too much. It's only a week and I'm going there for others, not myself. Guess I just wanted to sound off, hehe.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmelle View Post
    lol, Russ. Haiti
    WOW. . reading comprehension FTL . . . .

Carry on, ignore me. . I suggest canned tuna!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Bring a few items but I would not worry too much about it. Just eat less than you normally would. Eat more fruit and little grains if any. Enjoy the experience!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yodiewan, I was in India for 2 weeks last year back when I was gluten-free, low carb, but not fully primal. The guesthouse which provided all meals was 100% vegetarian and meals were taken as a group so I felt I had to participate. I tried to stick to gluten free, but ate rice, beans for protein, lots of vegetables and the small bananas that were dessert. I did have to muster extreme willpower to turn down the cookies that were served with tea breaks and purchased a bag of cashews to snack on (limited luggage otherwise). No ill effects and no weight gain. One of the benefits was that the food was all made from whole foods and not the processed crap. Plus, with a lot of activity, you may lose weight. I wouldn't sweat it. And thank you for what you're doing.