Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McDonalds: Is it really so unhealthy? Let's look at the facts. page

God
    God is offline Banned

McDonalds: Is it really so unhealthy? Let's look at the facts.

Primal Fuel
    McDonalds gets a bad reputation for being super unhealthy. But is it really so, or is that all in our mind?

Let's analyze what's actually in a McDonalds Cheeseburger.

The Bun
    The bun is, probably the worst part since it's made of wheat. HOWEVER, if you can tolerate wheat ok, then this is isn't so bad. It's no worse than using bread to make a sandwich at home.

The Patty
    Mmmm. In America, they don't know how to look after cows properly so this meat is probably crap. But in countries like mine the patty is made from GRASS-FED, HEALTHY COWS. The patty also has salt which is good for you.

The Cheese
    Ok the cheese isn't such a great thing, it's processed cheese, but really I don't think it's such a big deal, considering you are usually only eating 1 or 2 slices of it on your burger.

The Pickle
    Well, I usually throw the pickle away because it's yuck. But if you like it, it's probably fine - being a vegetable it makes the meal a tiny bit more balanced.

The Sauce
    It's tomato sauce. Not really much else to say here.

So that's the burger. In conclusion it's really only the bun which is the issue, and even then only if you have wheat sensitivities.

HOWEVER, the fries. We must talk about the fries. I believe the burger is the scapegoat while the fries are the true enemy. See, most people, when they buy McDonalds - they get the combo pack which comes with fries. People associate the burgers with being the culprit behind bad health - when it's really the fries, which are drenched in PUFA oils.

According to McDonalds website they use some kind of satanic blend of canola, soybean and corn oil to cook their fries in.

So, what's the takeaway from all this? If you eat McDonalds, just eat the burger not the fries. Infact, don't eat anything that looks like it's been deep-fried. If we could just convince McDonalds to use lard for their deep frying, the world would be a better place.
    Last edited by God; 09-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Grains are poor sources of nutrients, like magnesium. Symptoms of magnesium deficiency match those of type 2 diabetes. People without explicit wheat sensitivity still suffer from eating the bun because it ruins nutrient levels.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My McDonalds Chicken McNuggets Experiment - Where did the Chicken Go?

‘”When I worked at McDonald’s, I accidentally left a whole bag of about 100 chicken nuggets out on a counter for way too long. They melted. Into a pool of liquid. I never understood why. But they were completely indiscernible as being the nuggets i once knew.”‘
    So What Really Is In A McDonald's Chicken McNugget?

Finger found in Arby

30 Restaurant And Fast Food Workers Reveal The One Item We Shouldn’t Order | Thought Catalog

Top 10 reasons not to eat fast food

And last but not least, unless you've numbed your palate due to an accident or something, the food tastes like crap. Health issues aside, why would anyone waste one thin dime on it?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    The bread will be made with veg oil and my bet would be added to the burger too.

On the plus side most of the calories are from carbs to the veg@ns can at least say it is plant based.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Everything's relative. When I watched supersize me, the big takeaway I got was that the hidden calories were all in the chips and soda, and that it was possible to be comparatively healthy just eating the burgers.

That said, we don't eat the burgers any more. Why not eat homemade burgers with lettuce 'buns'?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    If you just ate their beef, lettuce, tomato, salad, chicken breasts, it wouldn't be that bad at all. (not ideal, but you'd be fine.)

Honestly, the real issue isn't the bread either. (Unless you are gluten intolerant.) It's the OIL. McDonald's used to use good old fashioned lard. They changed to 100% shit oil in order to please the idiots in the world. Not only do their fries not taste that good anymore, but they are now horrid for you.

So anything fried (nuggets, fries, pies) is god-awful for you. Stay away.

God
    God is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Grains are poor sources of nutrients, like magnesium. Symptoms of magnesium deficiency match those of type 2 diabetes. People without explicit wheat sensitivity still suffer from eating the bun because it ruins nutrient levels.
    This is such a hilarious way of thinking. Are you really that neurotic that you have to optimize every meal you have so that it has maximum nutrient density?

NEWSFLASH: Your body runs on calories, not nutrients. It needs nutrients of course but CALORIES ARE #1 PRIORITY. There is something to be said for foods which have caloric density.

Also, you do realize you can... EAT OTHER FOOD AS WELL? Obviously if you eat nothing but grain you will suffer deficiencies... but you eat other food as well usually, yeah? Like meat, vegetables, dairy? They have the nutrients you crave.

As for magnesium specifically, well, NO FOOD has sufficient magnesium for my liking that's why it's the one mineral I supplement with. You'd need to eat like 10 cups of spinach to get the minimum magnesium for the day. I believe this is due to problems with lack of magnesium in the soil.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    NEWSFLASH: Your body runs on calories, not nutrients. It needs nutrients of course but CALORIES ARE #1 PRIORITY. There is something to be said for foods which have caloric density.
    I'm not sure of what you mean here. To survive, you need many things, including calories and magnesium. If you don't get enough calories, you die. If you don't get enough magnesium, you die. What's so special about calories? In fact, the average fat person (i.e. American) has more than enough calories on their body and insufficient magnesium.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    This is such a hilarious way of thinking. Are you really that neurotic that you have to optimize every meal you have so that it has maximum nutrient density?

No, calories may be the most important thing you ingest, but they are far from the only one you need. Here's a post from free the animal about nutrient density to explain further. I think the general rule of avoiding processed foods which are deficient in vitamins and minerals is a good one.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Health issues aside, why would anyone waste one thin dime on it?
    Agree. Unless it's free their offerings need to be compared with what else the cash could buy. $5 can buy a decent pile of liver, mackerel, potato, banana, cabbage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    The bread will be made with veg oil
    Yep.
    Bun: ~34 ingredients
    Ketchup: 7 ingredients
    Pickle: 10 ingredients
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast