Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner squat and strong lifts help page

twmilli is online now Junior Member

Beginner squat and strong lifts help

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, I am a 19 year-old completely new to lifting weights. I am about 5'11 140 which is quite underweight and skinny so I'm looking add some muscle although my real focus is just getting stronger. I am not terribly weak (played sports in high school, 10 pull-ups), but I want to get stronger. For this reason I have started stronglifts 5x5. If people would be willing to watch the video of me squatting and tell me how I'm doing and what I need to work on it would be greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/we7KqjX9ROA

Also any general tips for a beginner would be great. So it has been a fun learning experience and I know if I keep with it I will benefit long-term.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shove your knees out hard during the entire rep. Get weightlifting shoes. Take video from a 45 degree angle next time instead of straight on from the back. Otherwise, these don't look too bad.

Embrace the weight feeling heavy on your back. It will soon enough. You won't believe you can squat down and stand back up with it, workout after workout. But you can. You're not afraid any more. You have decided to be strong, and that means pushing your body beyond what you believe it can do. Eat. Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat. Eat.
    The Champagne of Beards

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The bar may be too low on your back. Your knees need to point outward more, you are caving inward. The weight might be too heavy for you. And yes eat. It's incredible how much you need to eat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Kerri is online now Junior Member
    Not bad, any reason your doing sort of a low bar squat? Nothing wrong with it just curious. Your knees look like theyre starting to collapse just a little and with more weight or as fatigue sets in they will probably collapse more. Work on loosing your groin and your hip flexors By rolling, stretching, warming up with no to light wieghts amd possibly some explosive drills like squat jumps an tenaybe some band walks to help get everything rockin and ready to do some work.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to post another video after my workout tomorrow, hopefully getting my knees out more. I don't think it's too much weight (just because it doesn't seem challenging yet) but I will definitely do lots of warm up reps and really focus on form. Luckily I am on a college dining hall plan so while the quality might not be the best I have A LOT of food available

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Steady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Eat. Eat Eat Eat Eat Eat. Eat.
    As these guys have said, knees out as it looks like they are caving inwards.

sbhikes: post a link to that video you posted a while ago, you know the one with the guy with the mammoth beard and short shorts, that's a cracking video in my opinion, may help this lad out.

But like Rich said in the quote above, get your eat on! You'll think your eating a lot when you actually only eating 2500 cals. Add another thousand cals on training days and your nearly there. Good luck man, a little motto I stole/ adjusted:

"Get stronger, get better, and give yourself credit, because credit is due. The vast majority of people in this world are too afraid or lazy to get their ass under a bar and go down and up with some heavy weight on their back."

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Untamed strength: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo A mesmerizing video.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Steady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Untamed strength: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo A mesmerizing video.
    There he is. Legend.

Haha thanks guys, great video. Not sure I'll ever be able to squat that well but definitely a helpful video and I am just going to keep practicing bodyweight squats when I have a little extra time and doing lots of stretching. My plan is just to follow starting strength to the letter (week 3 currently) with the addition of chins and dips, any other additions I should make?

brucas is offline Junior Member
    Op why aren't you doing starting strength?

Comes from an actual expert in programming and bestseller on lifting technique also....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast