Thread: Dawn will follow the night page

Glenys is offline Junior Member

Dawn will follow the night

Primal Fuel
    I have been primal for exactly 2 1/2 years. Or should I say that I have been gluten free for that period of time. I have the unfortunate pleasure/pain of being addicted to milk chocolate. I can live without it if I don't touch it - but if even one crumb passes my lips, I end up sliding ever faster down an extremely slippery slope and fall face down in a frenzy of chocolate chomping!

When I first started eating primally I went VLC and felt fantastic and lost almost 50 lbs. I was so excited and it felt so good to be energetic and clear minded. I could fit into clothes many sizes smaller which had me beaming with delight. Then I hit a plateau, for months there was no change whatsoever with my weight. I tried cutting back on calories - I'd lose a pound or two and then bounce back up. Then my hair started falling out and my health started a downward spiral. I felt so tired all the time and my skin condition flared up, my tendonitis flared up and the brain fog descended - far worse than before. I had a number of tests done thinking that hypothyroidism must show up - nope. I still think that my thyroid is compromised, but it is not bad enough to show up on blood tests. I seem to be in a state of continual inflammation. Then I had a bout of food poisoning that really sent me for a loop and I now have gut issues where I will flip flop between crazy diarrhea and constipation. I seem to have developed another condition recently (scalp ridges) that seems to be tied in with the overall state of inflammation my body is in. I have skin tags by the dozen, very dry skin, very dry hair, no eyebrows to speak of and many other ailments.

SO, all that to say, I feel that it is time to stop the hamster wheel and look carefully at everything to try and figure out what helps and what doesn't. I am reading Chris Kresser's book, "My Personal Paleo Code" in the hopes that I can figure out which way to go. Right now I am in the middle of moving to a new home so I am just going to hang in there until we are settled in and then I am thinking of doing the autoimmune protocol that he outlines. I am wondering if there may be some triggers in the food I am eating and want to eliminate any culprits. I really need to know where I stand. I am 5'7" and weigh about 225 lbs at the moment. Due to the pain in my feet I find it hard to get around at the moment. I am hoping that if I can get on top of the inflammation that I will be able to get moving more. Right now it is hard to get through my daily chores as my feet are unbelievably sore by the end of the day. So, that is my starting point and hopefully I will start to get some more clues as to the direction to take for healing and eventually, weight loss. They may well come together, but I am not going to worry about the weight initially.

List of symptoms and issues that I want to see changes in:-
    Dry breaking hair.
    Thin eyebrows
    reddened and rough skin
    DSAP increasing at present and very inflamed
    Scalp ridges on left side of scalp - just last few months
    Gastric irritation
    low basal body temperature - sits around 97.3F most of the time despite thyroid support
    Continual fatigue
    Skin tags
    Warts
    Tendonitis in left Achilles and foot pain in right foot.
    weak nails
    Oedema in lower legs - if I press on my shins a significant dent remains for a while.
    Last edited by Glenys; 09-09-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: To add symptoms

I have been thinking that while I am not ready to do the AI reset until we are done moving, I can start cutting back on my bad carbs and I also want to increase my vegetable intake and cut back a bit on the protein. The veggies have been somewhat neglected of late and I always feel better when I up those amounts. Off for a day of walking around at a festival - looking forward to it and not looking forward to the pain in my feet.

Had a wonderful day of slow movement yesterday - if only my feet were not so painful it would have been all fun. The weather and everything else worked together for a lovely time for us as a family. This is one of our favourite activities every year and we look forward to it for months. Today I started packing for our move and got a few boxes closed and also off loaded a number of things at the local Goodwill. It feels good! I also broke down and bought a few pairs of pants that actually fit me instead of squeezing myself into the too small ones. I am realizing that growing up in an abusive home has left me poorly equipped to take care of myself properly. I feel guilty any time I make time for myself - even when I really need it. So silly really and yet, now that I have see the issue it is helping me to take a few minutes here and there to do things that I really need to do. I can see this will be a process of learning new habits ... my Honey is very good at helping me with this.

I had two fried eggs with salsa for breakfast and for lunch it was Nut thins with cheese and a few thin slices of roast beef and an apple.

Had spaghetti squash with ground beef in tomato sauce for dinner. Yummy! Haven't had it for ages so it was a nice change for my taste buds. Upset stomach today for a while - I had forgotten to take the Plantain flour and probiotics for a couple days. All the running around getting ready to move has thrown my schedule off and things are starting to fall through the cracks. I need to keep a handle on this stuff though, because it keeps me functioning. I have been feeling a bit more energetic the last few days which has been very nice. I am not sure why, but I am grateful. Once we are done moving I am looking forward to getting into a better routine including some exercise.

PinkAeryse is offline Senior Member
    im glad you are determined and motivated. i cant offer any advice or help, im still very new. i would like to say, gratitude is a wondrous thing, healing and peaceful. never give up!

Thanks PinkAeryse I haven't given up yet and don't plan on doing so - thanks for the encouragement! I was reading some more stuff in the Chris Kresser book and I think that I am going to aim for about 75 grams of carbohydrates for a while and see how that works for me. I need to lose weight but I also have adrenal fatigue so can't go too low carb. Also the hypothyroid symptoms indicate I need to avoid going too low with my carbs. I think that if I make a concerted effort to make sure my carbs are only from whole foods like the occasional sweet potato and berries etc. I will see an improvement. Only one way to know of course and that is to experiment and see how I feel on 75gms. I have been feeling a little less fatigued during the day - though I had a bit of a crash earlier where I just wanted to go to sleep. Was woken up with a start last night (about 3 am) with a very loud shriek from some animal as it died, presumably in an owl's talons. Honey and I both woke up with a start and I suspect that the incident happened right near our bedroom window! Took me quite a while to calm the racing heart and get back to sleep.

Good to track the macros in the beginnig to see where the sweet spot is. If you are still eating wheat, even gluten free, you may still have allergic affects to it because your system is sensitive to the grain and not just the gluten. I'm sure the results will be great by watching and keeping notes on your diet and nutrients. This is exactly what I'm doing atm, as well. I started 3 weeks ago and I'm taking it slow and easy. So far I'm feeling alright and have had more than one occasion where I actually feel like going to the gym! But I'm keeping it to walking for now.

Congrats on taking control of your health. It can only get better.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm afraid I am not going to be tracking anything much for the next few weeks until I am moved into my new house. But, I am trying to stick with increasing my veg intake and fat intake and cut back on protein. FWIW I have not eaten any grains except rice in the last few months. And that is very seldom. Otherwise, I have only eaten breads made with nut or coconut flour. So I am confident that grains are not a lingering issue. I know that I don't need the carbs from rice - but I have had a little occasionally. I have been careful to only have white rice as I know the brown rice has its own issues. I have not knowingly put anything grain based in my mouth and the couple of times that some sneaked in via some food that was prepared by someone else I knew immediately! Nasty GI issues within a short time of consuming the offending food!

Today we went for a bike ride and had a lovely time hanging out next to a river and I was relieved that it was cloudy too - perfect temperature for me. My bike is playing up which is a bummer as I am going to have to be careful about not going too far. I would not like to be stranded with my feet the way they feel.