Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What oil/fat to deep fry in-is refined palm oil OK? page

luckyss is offline Junior Member

What oil/fat to deep fry in?

Shop Now
    Clarified butter and coconut are expensive and they arent very friendly to high temperatures. I use sunflower for that reason, but I see there is also refined palm oil. But the palm oils I bought smelled like crayons to me. What else is there?
    Last edited by luckyss; 09-04-2014 at 05:33 PM.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Lard or Tallow.

But don't fry all the time. Probably not great for you.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I second lard and tallow. Julia Child said the best fat for frying potatoes was horse fat, but that's pretty hard to come by.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Lard, but not the stuff from the grocery store (ie Tenderflake). You want to make sure you find pastured lard from healthily raised pigs, not from ones raised in a pig barn.

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyss View Post
    I use sunflower for that reason
    Nooooo........

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Nooooo........
    Well, depending on who you ask, high-oleic sunflower oil might be OK:
    Is it Primal? – Sunflower Oil, Wheat Germ, Skyr, and Other Foods Scrutinized | Mark's Daily Apple

Personally, if I was going to deep fry something, that's probably what I'd use. It's cheap and mostly monounsaturated. It has a neutral flavor and a high smoke point. I have rendered my own tallow and used it to make french fries and that is a lot of work. That's like a twice a year thing, if even that frequently. If I didn't have any tallow rendered and I really wanted to fry something, I'd probably go with the sunflower oil. As infrequently as I deep fry stuff, I don't think it would do much harm, if any.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    We need a Kickstarter to get a grassfed tallow business up and running like they are doing for the green banana starch. I think US Wellness Meats sells tallow but it's in small containers and pretty damn expensive.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Eureka5280: M / 38 / 235lbs / Goal: 180lbs

Diet: Currently experimenting with higher carb (Peat-esque) primal with emphasis on beef, dairy, seafood, sugar and a bit of starch on lifting days.

Activities: Started Stronglifts 5x5 on 3/1/14. Adding sprints and hikes soon.
    End of Year Working Set Goals: Squats-250, Bench-200, DL-315

luckyss is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Well, depending on who you ask, high-oleic sunflower oil might be OK:
    Is it Primal? – Sunflower Oil, Wheat Germ, Skyr, and Other Foods Scrutinized | Mark's Daily Apple

Personally, if I was going to deep fry something, that's probably what I'd use. It's cheap and mostly monounsaturated. It has a neutral flavor and a high smoke point. I have rendered my own tallow and used it to make french fries and that is a lot of work. That's like a twice a year thing, if even that frequently. If I didn't have any tallow rendered and I really wanted to fry something, I'd probably go with the sunflower oil. As infrequently as I deep fry stuff, I don't think it would do much harm, if any.
    Actually the high oleic sunflower oil gave me allergic reaction. So I use the high omega 6 one. I know its not good.
    I cant seem to find an alternative. Nobody sells tallow anywhere???

But maybe the refined palm oil would be better, even with the crayon smell. But the food you make on it has the same crayon-y smell. I dont even know what the heck it smells like, more like old socks than crayons.
    Last edited by luckyss; 09-06-2014 at 05:06 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try a butcher shop? At the very least, the butcher might be able to steer you in the right direction.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

dodd is offline Junior Member
    I am not really into frying but when I do, it's sunflower oil. It's not the best thing on earth to eat but for the price, what it has to offer is fine for me. I wouldn't use palm oil, it's got such as bad reputation. It's the cheap oil used by the food industry to minimize costs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast