Thread: Do Paleo Diet help Asthma? page

joedale is offline Junior Member

Post Do Paleo Diet help Asthma?

Hi everbody, I am 17 years old and I had pre-asthma since 11 years old, in past years I only have been using inhaler sometimes in Winter. But this summer I am having real difficulties to breath, this problems have started a month ago, I went to the doctor and he told me to do inhaler 2 times a day and take an anti allergic once a day, since I have started to do that my asthma improved, but I am not breathing like before, I am still feeling some difficulties.. I am very determined to cure and improve my Asthma, for that reason, 4 days before I have started the paleo diet, I have cuted all dairy products, all sweet products, bread, etc. I am only eating fish, vegetables, fruits and meat, and I am also drinking capsules with fish oil (omega 3, 6 and 9) and some vitamin pills. After this 4 days I am still not feel really good, so how much time normally takes to paleo diet start help asthma? Please answer, I am really worried, because I don't want to live with asthma all my life

joedale is offline Junior Member
    Beside that, I normally can take a good breath, but I i feel like have some mucus in my throat that make my breath worse... please help

Larry_nAustin is offline Junior Member
    Your body needs time to heal. Primal/Paleo diets are anti-inflammatory, gut health promoting so arguably the best diets for reducing or 'curing' asthma. Stay away from gluten, processed foods for sure. And give it time.

I started May 2013 in bits and pieces. I had severe daily allergies taking Claritin daily. After about 8 months allergies went away completely. No medicine at all. Patience you are on the right track. If you can't self cure, invest in the best functional medicine doc in your area to help.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joedale View Post
    Hi everbody, I am 17 years old and I had pre-asthma since 11 years old, in past years I only have been using inhaler sometimes in Winter. But this summer I am having real difficulties to breath, this problems have started a month ago, I went to the doctor and he told me to do inhaler 2 times a day and take an anti allergic once a day, since I have started to do that my asthma improved, but I am not breathing like before, I am still feeling some difficulties.. I am very determined to cure and improve my Asthma, for that reason, 4 days before I have started the paleo diet, I have cuted all dairy products, all sweet products, bread, etc. I am only eating fish, vegetables, fruits and meat, and I am also drinking capsules with fish oil (omega 3, 6 and 9) and some vitamin pills. After this 4 days I am still not feel really good, so how much time normally takes to paleo diet start help asthma? Please answer, I am really worried, because I don't want to live with asthma all my life
    It really depends on what is causing your asthma. I was diagnosed with asthma a few years ago (in my 20s, so not living with it as a kid, but my brother did as a kid so I was familiar with symptoms). I think a Primal diet is very helpful! Most of my bouts of asthma are caused by eating wheat (barley, oats, rye) product or soy product. Primal cuts those out so I don't get nearly as many asthma attacks. Of course, I also have a moderate food allergy to wheat and soy products, and the asthma is a symptom of the immune system's response to the allergy (I am also allergic to nuts; same story).

Another thing that aggravates my asthma is airborne particulates. This could be when the pollen count is high in the spring and summer, and also in the winter if there is dust in the central air system, or mold--*especially* mold. Any mold, any kind, will have me wheezing.

It is important for you to determine what is causing the asthma. Primal is a good way to start because it cuts out a lot of the major food allergens. I would also give it 2-3 weeks to allow for your system to clear. You could easily be reacting to something still in your system if it's related to a food you had a few days ago. If it's still going on, check on things like mold and dust in the heating system. Dandruff from animals. Etc. Get an air purifier and see if that helps. If not, do further elimination on your diet (i.e., take out shellfish, eggs, nuts, peanuts, and other major food allergens) for a few weeks.

Good luck; asthma is incredibly difficult to manage, but it's all about finding out what works and doesn't work for you. Everyone is different. Just sharing my experience as a means to an end; you could easily have different triggers than me, but the point is this: eliminate to isolate triggers.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Ptilol is offline Junior Member
    I don't have asthma as far as I know, but I used to have constant mucus in back of throat feeling. Sometimes I felt like I might choke from it. Absolutely horrible. I had that for years. It didn't come and go with allergy season. I also had a lot of nasal mucus whether I was sick or not. Now it's gone. I'm wondering if it was some wheat allergy now since I barely eat bread anymore. I used to have bread every day.

I am not on totally primal diet. But my diet is very altered from what it used to be with a much more Primal/Paleo leaning.

yighaoes is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my diet is very altered from what it used to be with a much more Primal/Paleo leaning.