Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To Dairy, or not to Dairy, that is the question.. :) page 3

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I enjoy dairy once in a while. I prefer raw cheese and hope to try raw milk when I begin traveling. It is illegal to sell raw milk here in Michigan... so many damn laws haven no place in this world...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

vivilee is offline Member
    I am also of Asian-descent and I was asking myself the same question when it came to dairy.

After some research, I found that my ancestors were the ancient Mongols. Their paleo diet consisted of mostly sheep and goat and all of the dairy products from those animals. They ate very little vegetables and occasionally fish. They also ate millet but, only fermented in lining of sheep intestines and they ate very little of it...

So, now I will eat goat and sheep dairy if I can find it...I try to stay away from cow products most of the week but I will indulge in a little high-quality, organic icecream.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    I second the raw milk suggestion. My DH is Asian and very lactose intolerant. However, raw milk does not upset his stomach at all.

Carnivore is offline Member
    I use butter and ghee frequently. I LOVE cheese but only have it occasionally. I mostly avoid it, because of complexion issues. *sigh* vanity

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I use butter and ghee frequently. I LOVE cheese but only have it occasionally. I mostly avoid it, because of complexion issues. *sigh* vanity
    same here. Butter offers only good things, cheese creates a rash on my nose and zits on the chin within a day or so. Darnit!
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

soror is offline Senior Member
    Well, one doesn't really know how you tolerate it unless you take it out for awhile. Most people say they handle grains just fine as well. I am currently off due to nursing- and the fact that I have had 2 kids thus far dairy intolerant- yes- even to raw dairy- I drove 4 hrs away to get raw goats milk for my son to trial. Now, that we have gluten out(almost 2 yrs now) I hope that someday they and I will have the ability to digest some, but it hasn't happened yet. I should say though if you are perfectly happy w/ all aspects of your health then I wouldn't bother testing- but if you are having some residual issues- or weight that won't budge it is worth looking into(imo).
    Last edited by soror; 07-08-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    I'm against dairy, unless you are a calf. Are you a calf? Anecdotally, adding dairy back will make you gain weight and all that casein will increase inflammation.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I used to think dairy could stop weightloss cold but it doesn't seem to be that bad for me after all. I am leaning out even eating multiple tablespoons of butter every day, and a few pieces of cheese a couple times a week. Anything with lower milkfat than cheese, though, and I start to get gas. I would love to try raw milk products but being in Canada, I'm not sure where I'd get any of that.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    I'm against dairy, unless you are a calf. Are you a calf? Anecdotally, adding dairy back will make you gain weight and all that casein will increase inflammation.
    not necessarily....unless you are extremely lactose sensitive, you should be fine.

no, we are not baby cows HOWEVER we are mammals that drink milk in the early stages of life. Milk, whether it comes from human tits or cow udders, is a nutrient-dense (fatty) food that nourishes us. Some time long ago humans discovered that drinking cows milk provided them with the same precious calories and nutrients they had known as youngins'. Certain cultures and civilizations relied heavily on high-fat dairy, especially cheese and butter (as they kept VERY well (before fridgerators were invented)) and so I do not believe that dairy is the sole cause of inflammation.

Now, pounding pints of modern, ultra-processed milk is not preferable, for weight management, or digestive health.

including pastured, organic butter, cheeses, and creams in your diet is a different thing all together.

Saying that cows milk makes you big and fat because it makes baby cows big and fat is a little simplistic. Its kind of like saying eating fat will make you big and fat....and we all know ithat isnt true either.

bottom line, I see no reason to refrain from eating a nutrient-dense animal food-source. Keep your omega-6s low, and the inflammation issues are taken care of.

do not fear the white gold!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    I used to think dairy could stop weightloss cold but it doesn't seem to be that bad for me after all. I am leaning out even eating multiple tablespoons of butter every day, and a few pieces of cheese a couple times a week. Anything with lower milkfat than cheese, though, and I start to get gas. I would love to try raw milk products but being in Canada, I'm not sure where I'd get any of that.
    +1 dairy is in no way stopping me from continuing to lean out as well. I even eat hard cheese almost daily! Martin from leangains loves his cottage cheese! I definitely do not think it slows down fat loss!

cows are good, people. eat them. we've been eating them for a long time. eat the fat. eat the muscle. eat the brains. eat the milk. eat the cow and be happy.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast