Thread: A Determined ShyMouse page

shymouse is offline Junior Member

A Determined ShyMouse

I have always been fat. I was 9lbs at birth, 200lbs in third grade, and over 300 by the time I graduated high school.

I have always had...issues...with food. My doctor calls me a binge eater, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. I dont just overindulge on the occasional day or on specific foods. My whole life is a constant binge. I'm more likely to binge on junk - sugary foods and pizza are my weak points - but I will also put down a 24oz steak and a pound of mashed potatoes like it's my job. I feel completely out of control when it comes to food.

I obsess over food. What is there to eat? Is there enough? Will I still be hungry? Even when I'm actively eating, I'm planning out my next meal, and I never feel full. I don't even know what that feels like. People talk about satiety and I'm just baffled as to how they know.

It's disgusting and humiliating to be this way and I hate it. I hate that I've gotten to this point. I hate that I'm the way I am, and I hate that I don't know how to stop it. I can't even leave my house without hearing someone yell, "Hey, fatty," or tell me I have "such a pretty face," or give me dieting advice or some other painful comment. And I honestly don't understand it. Do the people who say these things "out of concern" or maliciousness truly think I'm unaware of what I look like? Are they under the impression that when I look in the mirror that I see Kate Moss? Because here is the truth - every fat person knows they are fat. They know it intimately and better than you.

As for my health - I have issues. Arthritis in both knees, impingement in my left, migraines, depression, panic disorder, PCOS, and I had my gallbladder removed last year. I wonder how many of these things are due to my lifestyle and diet. I'm hoping some of these will be resolved or easier to manage with Primal.

So I'm completely redoing my life. No more junk food - it only makes me binge. Move more. Get stronger. Get more sun even if I'm afraid of the comments. Sleep better. When my weight is less of a barrier, I want to go back to school or work.

The problem is there seem to be dozens of differing opinions with regards to Primal and weight loss. Calories count. Calories don't count. Portions count. Portions don't count. Cheat days are okay. Cheat days are forbidden. Fruit is good. Fruit is bad. Exercise matters. Exercise doesn't matter.

So for now, I just have to figure out what the hell I'm doing.

Morning:

Meal- handful of grapes, 3 eggs, 1 tbsp butter, handful of spinach, 1/4 roasted red pepper.
    Mood - hungry, hot, anxious, and tired.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member

Welcome

I was very heavy when I was younger too and always suffered migraines. My savor was the low carb diet but once paleo style dieting became popular I learned that the low carb diet was great for weight loss but the wholefoods nature of the paleo world was the finishing touches for health. Even though Dr. Atkin's always pushed a quality low carb diet he never took it as far a paleo or really encompassed too much beyond just the diet and a little exercise. The good new is if you keep the carbs low enough (I even recommend ketosis) the weight will practically fall off of you until you get down closer to your goal and then it will be tough to get to where you really want to be. The last pounds are usually damn tough but getting down to a "good" weight is pretty easy. You are young enough to pull this off pretty nicely too. Let me know how you are doing!

-Jim

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by shymouse View Post

The problem is there seem to be dozens of differing opinions with regards to Primal and weight loss. Calories count. Calories don't count. Portions count. Portions don't count. Cheat days are okay. Cheat days are forbidden. Fruit is good. Fruit is bad. Exercise matters. Exercise doesn't matter.
    My bf has a saying. Opinions are like a$$holes: Everybody has one, and they all stink. The bottom line is, you have to find out what works for YOU. That means you have to accept the process and there will be periods of progress and stalls.

My advice is, first, be prepared for hunger and eat good food until you are satisfied. I also am thinking of my next meal all the time. I found I need protein and carbs at every meal. Ketosis is not an option for me, so I eat white rice and potatoes. Keep easy stuff like sardines and hard-boiled eggs on hand. Leftovers are your friend. I lost 22 pounds eating bacon 3-4 times per week. Give up wheat. This is likely to improve your joint issues. After that, depending on how you're feeling, give up dairy for a while. Use olive oil or coconut oil and stay away from canola and soybean oil. You don't have to do everything all at once. I still have not made the switch to grass-fed meat. Try those things first, and then tinker with ketosis, exercise, supplements, etc. There are lots of good ideas here.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.