Thread: Jerked Chicken ... Twice page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Jerked Chicken ... Twice

Shop Now
    I'm all for simplicity ...

I'm all for authenticity ...

I'm of the belief that all these "authentic" recipes are actually simple rustic, low-brow food cooked simply, over simple flame by regular people for regular people.

Recipe lists as long as you arm, methods which read like a Haynes manual, nah ... not for me.

I stumbled over a simple preparation which happens to be quite simply, Jerk Chicken.

I have a glut of chicken wings, so chopped into mini-drumstick, wing and tip, I simply marinated it in my jerk seasoning for a couple of hours.

Jerk Seasoning

Scotch Bonnet Peppers
    Scallions/Spring Onions
    Fresh Thyme
    Sea Salt
    Black Pepper
    Allspice

Amounts, I'm unsure, but blend a bunch of spring onions with a couple of Scotch Bonnet peppers, a handful of fresh thyme, then add in the salt, pepper and Allspice.

Done.

Yes, done.

... as in that's all, folks.

Jerk Chicken

So, we have chicken and we have the seasoning, so slop a load of the seasoning into a bowl with the chicken pieces and massage together.

Leave it a couple of hours, then pop into an oven spread out on a tray at, say, 180C and let it go for 30-40 minutes.

Here's fun ...

Leave the tips in for another hour!

The tips will dry out and you can eat them whole, bones and all ... it'll just crunch away. Easy. The rest, of course, you eat after 30-40 minutes.

Yum! I wolfed it down without any thought for you guys, so sorry ... no picture.

Following on from my lunchtime Jerk Chicken, I rather fancied some more. So, about five o'clock, I put more chicken pieces together with some jerk seasoning and set it aside to marinate ...

Well, when it came to seven o'clock it looked a bit meagre so I set about something else ...

I'm sure this is actually called Fricassee, or something French, but given the spicing it's Brown Chicken.

Ingredients

Jerked Chicken
    Palm Oil
    Large Onion
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Sea Salt
    Black Pepper
    Allspice
    Tomato Purée
    Green Pepper
    Tomato
    Dried Thyme
    Palm Sugar*

Method

In a large skillet, melt some red palm oil and soften a shredded onion. Once starting to caramelise, add in the garlic and ginger, the allspice and the chicken.

Fry off until the chicken has taken on a little colour, add a good squirt of tomato purée and top up with water.

Bring to the boil and add in a chopped green pepper, sliced tomato, a sprinkle of palm sugar and a good sprinkle of dried thyme.

Set to reduce over a medium flame and when it's reduced, it's ready.

Yeah, you could serve with coconut rice, or something, but it's best just to have a huge bowl of the stuff as is ...

* You spotted it. Sugar. Well, palm sugar is the sweet sap of the palm tree, crystallised. It is largely sucrose based, so low in fructose and scores relatively lowly on the GI index. Used in strict moderation, it's one of those "primal" sweeteners, like honey ... and in this dish brought a real roundness, which allowed the full flavour of the chillies to be tasted without overly burning.

Check out Mark's article on sugar: The Definitive Guide to Sugar | Mark's Daily Apple

canio6 Guest
    I want to be you when I grow up. You make such awesome food. I'm going to have to make this sometime this week. It looks fantastic, and while my wife won't eat wings, she'll eat the heck out of your Brown Chicken.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Thank you

For the Brown Chicken, drumsticks or thighs would work equally well. It would also work well in a Pyrex bowl in the oven.

I'm on a mission to simplify ... simplify in ingredients, in cooking, in where the food was grown or reared, in method ...

Primal eating is about so much more than simply eating "primal ingredients". There's timing and I also think there's a lot to be said for just keeping it simple.

The seasoning here is a small handful of ingredients, yet gives so much flavour. The meal, just the seasoning and chicken, then the next meal that again, with an onion and some tomato.

Wolf it all down and leave nothing but a pile of bones!

You did get my tip about roasting the tips on for an hour and a half? You can just eat the lot then. Crunchy, bone goodness.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    You did get my tip about roasting the tips on for an hour and a half? You can just eat the lot then. Crunchy, bone goodness.
    I did indeed. I look forward to my dog looking at me jealously as I crunch on some wingtip bones

TQD
    TQD is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, I'm with Jon. I want to be you when I grow up Your jerk seasoning looks lovely and fresh, and I love the suggestion for the chicken wing tips, which I've always "wasted" on stock.

I really like your idea of getting to the heart of food -- real food, cooked for real people, by real people. I've been trying to eat more seasonally/locally (which is weird and backwards here) and I really think the quality of our meals has been better overall.