Thread: I'm thinking it's the chicken and the egg.. page

naiadknight is offline Senior Member

I'm thinking it's the chicken and the egg..

Primal Fuel
    http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/...earlybird.html
    Sooo, these kids aren't fat because they didn't exercise; they don't exercise because they're fat? Anybody else think this is actually a case of the chicken and the egg (which came first)? I'm thinking it's mostly the way the kids eat/ are fed, with a sedentary lifestyle being the kicker, but then again, I was always the scary- skinny kid, so I wouldn't know from experience. What do y'all think?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Good observation. CW says the chicken, and Taubes and other contrarians will usually state bluntly that it is the egg first, which is closer to the truth, however it is indeed both simultaneously, caused by simply poor diet, not eating too much, since leptin regulates hunger and weight. But once shit is broken it is self-perpetuating if left unchecked.

Inflammation, nutrient shortages and other bad stuff->leptin and insulin resistance
    Leptin resistance->accumulation of fat->insulin resistance
    Insulin resistance->increased de novo lipogenesis and interference with leptin signaling and inflammation of sorts->leptin resistance and insulin resistance

Both mean more hunger and less energy. So we're in a spiraling square-dance of metabolic doom

And of course I'm over-simplifying (Molgrok could likely come up with a badass flow-chart ) and there are lots of other factors like the thyroid and whatnot, but clearly the chicken fucks the egg and the egg fucks the chicken and they make more eggs and chickens.

edit: and I agree that exercise is important to a degree. Certainly for optimal health, but it also reduces inflammation and increases insulin sensitivity so it is one more factor working in our favor.
    Last edited by Stabby; 07-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!