Thread: I will be SO happy I did this! page

justdoit is offline Junior Member

I will be SO happy I did this!

Primal Fuel
    What will you regret not doing when you look back 1 year from now? Committing to paleo is it for me.

I'm a 45 year old female. Have never been thin, but never like this....with about 80 lbs to lose, enough is way more than enough. Weight loss brought me to MDA over 1 year ago. But as I've experimented with paleo for a few weeks at a time over that period, these are the other things I'm excited about. I notice a pretty immediate difference with all of them when I eat paleo

-less GURD
    -less acne
    -less bloating
    -more energy
    -rarely hungry between meals
    -no low blood sugar shakes

But, truthfully, this shift is a struggle for me. I am a married, working mother of 2 active children. My family are ALL picky eaters (as I once was) and I'm in this by myself. If I had a chef keeping me supplied in clean, cut, freshly cooked veggies, fruit and meat this wouldn't seem so daunting. But I string together 2 or 3 weeks and then life happens. It usually happens when I'm fresh out of salad ingredients, every piece of meat is stacked neatly in my freezer and my kids are begging for fro-yo. This, coincidentally, is also the stage where paleo tends to wreak havoc with my sleep. I haven't been a great sleeper for some time, but the seratonin shifts (guessing) just kick my butt about 2 weeks into paleo every time.

So....this problem isn't going to take care of itself. Changes this time around include a support network (that would be you...plus one friend who I know won't judge in any way), accepting that I need to do this whether the family is coming along or not (I'm the Mom; it'll eventually rub off), and planning to keep cooked, cooled potatoes in my fridge in the hopes that a 1/4 cup before bed will keep my seratonin balanced.

I'd love to hear about others' experiences, ideas and support. If you're here to judge or tell me how "perfect" your paleo journey has been, please just move on to another thread.

Here goes!

Feeling relieved after first full day back on primal. Slept like a baby. Calmer, etc.

B-fresh mozzarella, grapes
    L-grilled chx, celery/carrots, almond butter
    D-BBQ CHX, garlic smashed potatoes, grilled zucchini
    S-pistacios, grapes

Breaking down my goals:
    -30 days: 80% paleo every day. 20% non-paleo vision is more like "it's ok that my favorite chicken recipe calls for flour as sauce thickener" and is not "I think I'll fast for dinner and go straight to the chocolate cake". I am dealing with back to school and a child with significant anxiety...my goal is to simply get through it without inflicting further harm (chips, cookies, fast food) on myself as a means of coping with my stress.
    -Long term: my motto is "fit by 46"...I've got 6 months. 80 lbs not likely to come off that quickly (my long, long term goal), but I want to be well on my way to a new way of eating by then.

Ciao until tomorrow!

Tough day yesterday. All my emo buttons pushed. Tripped up on the cookie my husband brought home from lunch. Just could not seem to ignore it every time I passed it in kitchen. Choosing to learn from this (throw or give away immediately next time) instead of using as an excuse to develop a serious case of the "fuck its."

B-bacon, coffee
    L-ceaser salad with chicken (yup, ate the croutons..80/20)
    D-lemon chicken, cooked carrots with butter
    S-nuts, fruit, cookie

shuttlebug is online now Senior Member
    Is your husband supporting you in this? Can you enlist his help, ask him not to leave temptations around? I'm just wondering, because my husband just thinks I'm nuts and won't even consider giving up his precious carbs. But I want this more than that slice of warm homemade bread, which I still bake for him. My biggest challenge is eating out - it's so hard to find something appropriate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Milicoqui is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttlebug View Post
    Is your husband supporting you in this? Can you enlist his help, ask him not to leave temptations around? I'm just wondering, because my husband just thinks I'm nuts and won't even consider giving up his precious carbs. But I want this more than that slice of warm homemade bread, which I still bake for him. My biggest challenge is eating out - it's so hard to find something appropriate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    THIS! Ask him to not bring that stuff home. I like the case of the "Fuck its." LOL