Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about Matt Stone? And his High Everything Diet? page

God
    God is offline Banned

Cool Can we talk about Matt Stone? And his High Everything Diet?

Ok, I've been reading Matt Stone's work lately and a lot of what he says makes sense. Restricted diets tend to make people neurotic. Did for me anyway, made me into an obsessive-compulsive.

"OH MY GOD THIS SAUCE HAS TRACES OF GLUTEN IN IT THROW IT OUT!!!"

"THIS...THIS HASH BROWN HAS SOME CANOLA OIL IN IT - IT MUST BE TOSSED INTO THE FIRES OF MOUNT DOOM!!!"

"NO I CAN'T EAT FISH AND CHIPS WITH YOU GUYS. THE BATTER HAS GLUTEN IN IT AND THE CHIPS ARE FRIED IN PUFA!!!"

He is also correct about what low-carb does to you. Low-Carb feels great at first. I felt charged up like I was high on speed. But do you know WHY it causes that effect? BECAUSE YOUR BODY IS RELEASING STRESS HORMONES. Yeah, that nice energized feeling? That's STRESS. That's ADRENALINE. Eventually your adrenals will burn out though and there'll be no more nice feeling, just fatigue. And you'll think "Hmmm, maybe there are more foods I need to eliminate. Maybe I need to go EVEN MORE LOW-CARB!" And then things get worse and worse til you are metabolically fucked.

At one point my diet ended up being nothing but salmon and broccoli because I was too paranoid about eating "bad food".

These days my body temperature is pretty low, around 96F. I understand 98-99F is ideal. My hands are like ice. I need to sunbathe in a sweater to warm my blood up in the mornings. I have hypothyroid.

Then I found Matt Stone and I was like "Yes, this guy is clearly a prophet." He made me realize I've been chronically under-eating without even realizing it. I have the symptoms of low metabolism that he speaks of.

So I've been following his High Everything Diet for a couple of weeks now, eating way more food than I'm used to. And... I'm not seeing any improvements. I've been salting everything, eating lots of carbs, still my blood is ice. I guess 2 weeks isn't that long but I'm just nervous about following his protocol, getting fat, and not seeing any thyroid improvement.

And you know, his forum sucks arse. Seriously nobody has posted there in months. He has no contact email, or any way to ask him questions. Like WTF?

And I have one other concern: If eating lots of food is the solution to metabolic & thyroid problems... WHY do so many people still have metabolic/thyroid problems when they are doing just that? Most people DO eat heaps of food, it's not helping them, it's fucking them up.

I feel like Matt Stone has correctly identified the PROBLEM, but his SOLUTION is seriously lacking.

Any Matt Stoners out there who can give me advice?

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    That you Zach?
    See if you can find Zach posts and threads here on MDA. That might be a start for you if no one answers.
    Last edited by Terry H; 08-29-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't it be better to try asking on a matt stone related forum?..
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Well, I was trying to be diplomatic, but maybe you're right.

God
    God is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to try asking on a matt stone related forum?..
    True... BUT like I said his forum is dead. Some of the subforums haven't had posts in months.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like that Matt Stone thing didn't quite take off. I wonder why?

If I had a dollar for every person that identified a problem without a solution I would be pretty rich by now.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Never met the guy, but why would we want high or low anything? How about taking each nutrient and pleasure to the point of diminishing return then stopping. A whole foods approach should reduce paranoia--if we're ordering commercially fried things what sort of consequence are we expecting?

As much as I appreciate DIY health thyroid and adrenal diseases are not something to self-diagnose online--they have definitions. I monitored body temp for a time but food never impacted it (outside alcohol). Cook a nice dinner, go for a walk, stay off the internet.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Chupo is offline Member
    Buck books just informed me that one of his books, Eat for Heat, is free today on Amazon. Eat for Heat: The Metabolic Approach to Food and Drink - Kindle edition by Matt Stone. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. I wouldn't have actually paid anything for it but it was free so why not?

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Cook a nice dinner, go for a walk, stay off the internet.
    Wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

God
    God is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Never met the guy, but why would we want high or low anything? How about taking each nutrient and pleasure to the point of diminishing return then stopping. A whole foods approach should reduce paranoia--if we're ordering commercially fried things what sort of consequence are we expecting?

As much as I appreciate DIY health thyroid and adrenal diseases are not something to self-diagnose online--they have definitions. I monitored body temp for a time but food never impacted it (outside alcohol). Cook a nice dinner, go for a walk, stay off the internet.
    The High Everything Diet is about caloric density. It can be hard to eat enough calories to boost metabolism so Matt suggests eating foods that are calorie dense and high in salt and carbs. The problem with whole foods is they're too filling, not calorie dense enough and often have a high water content.

Matt suggests that in certain circumstances McDonalds is good because of the intense caloric density, high salt content and low water content of the burgers.

The thing I like about Matt is he's tried every diet under the sun and has a lot of personal experience. Lived experience means more to me than half-arsed studies done on lab rats when it comes to health matters.

Out of curiosity, when you monitored your temps what were they on average (if you remember)? Were they within healthy range? 98-99F?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast