Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for MDA Competitive Powerlifters page

Michael S is offline Senior Member

Questions for MDA Competitive Powerlifters

Shop Now
    I know there are a few experienced competitors here, and as an aspiring PL myself, I was hoping to create a thread where I might pose a few questions as they arise.

If you use Creatine Monohydrate AND cut for competition, do you cycle off the Creatine prior to meet day ? And if so, how far out and does this affect your performance ? I'm curious about Creatine induced, intra-cellular water retention. Been using Cre for about for about 4 months straight and I like the performance advantage, but I'm probably carrying an extra 5 pounds of wa-wa. How about ya'all ?

This is a discussion I can't have with my coach 'cause he doesn't partake, and never has.

TIA
    Last edited by Michael S; 08-29-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Ht: 5'8"
    Wt: 164
    BF: 10%

But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.
    - Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Hey there! I compete and I take creatine. I always do a deload week before my competitions. During this time I stop my supplements overload with water for 2-3 days and then completely starve and dehydrate 24 hours before my competition. Now, I weigh in 24 hours before my competition. So I have a full 24 hours to rehydrate and eat before my competition. This method had me able to drop 5-7lbs. Welcome to the world of competing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

And I have not seen a negative effect when stopping my creatine during that time period. In fact, I PRd at my last competition. My deadlift went from 308 to 336. So yeah...💪💪 I'm a woman by the way.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to see a thread that's a repository of stuff from our resident competitors. I'm sorta eyeballing doing a meet in like 6 months or so, but am basically ignorant on the whole shebang.

Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    Hey there! I compete and I take creatine. I always do a deload week before my competitions. During this time I stop my supplements overload with water for 2-3 days and then completely starve and dehydrate 24 hours before my competition. Now, I weigh in 24 hours before my competition. So I have a full 24 hours to rehydrate and eat before my competition. This method had me able to drop 5-7lbs. Welcome to the world of competing!!
    Hi eden, and thanks for responding. If you can, approximately how much of that 5-7lbs would you estimate is water loss due to Creatine cessation ? Cutting is a whole other topic I hope to pick your brain on as I converge on my first comp date. I'm kinda in the zone where a cut to 148 would be feasible, but at my age, competing at 165 might be the healthier & wiser way to go. I'm actually closer to 165 (than 148) right now, my signature just doesn't reflect it. Haven't decided yet but coach has recommended 165#.

Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    And I have not seen a negative effect when stopping my creatine during that time period. In fact, I PRd at my last competition. My deadlift went from 308 to 336. So yeah...I'm a woman by the way.
    So yeah, you may be a woman, but you're also...EDEN!

I haven't pulled a 1RM yet, however my current 3RM is almost identical to your PR and I'm a man, or at least I thought I was.

So what does that make me ?

Hint: Here kitty-kitty.

But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
    Hi eden, and thanks for responding. If you can, approximately how much of that 5-7lbs would you estimate is water loss due to Creatine cessation ? Cutting is a whole other topic I hope to pick your brain on as I converge on my first comp date. I'm kinda in the zone where a cut to 148 would be feasible, but at my age, competing at 165 might be the healthier & wiser way to go. I'm actually closer to 165 (than 148) right now, my signature just doesn't reflect it. Haven't decided yet but coach has recommended 165#.

You know...that's a good question. I really don't know. I don't think my taking creatine has affected my weight. I really don't. My weight can fluctuate 2lbs or so between days. That's always been the case and that didn't change once I started taking creatine back in May or so. I will say that I drink about a gallon and a half everyday, so that probably helps flush things out. I'm waiting for Rich to weigh in on this thread because he competes at 148 but naturally sits a bit higher I think. Once we talk about cutting he's going to have good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'd like to see a thread that's a repository of stuff from our resident competitors. I'm sorta eyeballing doing a meet in like 6 months or so, but am basically ignorant on the whole shebang.
    That makes 2 of us, Mr. A, on all 3 counts.

To my knowledge, there is only 1 federation sanctioning meets in my general area. Recently in Silver City down south, but typically in Albuquerque.

100% RAW Federation Southwest

Kind of narrows down the choice locally.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I don't feel like I gain any extra water weight from creatine, so I don't cycle off before a meet. Carbohydrates, on the other hand, bloat the heck out of me. But I never felt like I had much of a short term performance decrease from going low carb (although when I'm trying to add strength in the long term, I think they're useful).

I think if you're not going to be setting any state/national/world records anyway, remember that you're only competing against yourself and just pick a weight class that allows you to lift the most weight, rather than trying to cut. I'm planning on making the big move from the 148's (a less competitive class) to the 165's (a highly competitive class). I'll probably stop placing at every meet (I've only done 2 so far), at least in the short term, but my real goal is to be a bigger and stronger dude, and leaning out for competitions every few months is definitely getting in the way of that. If you're going to be a world champion, different story.
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 08-29-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    The Champagne of Beards

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    +1

Search Youtube for "Your First Meat" (spelled that way). The guy's pretty informative about how to prepare for a PL meet.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I don't feel like I gain any extra water weight from creatine, so I don't cycle off before a meet. Carbohydrates, on the other hand, bloat the heck out of me. But I never felt like I had much of a short term performance decrease from going low carb (although when I'm trying to add strength in the long term, I think they're useful).

I think if you're not going to be setting any state/national/world records anyway, remember that you're only competing against yourself and just pick a weight class that allows you to lift the most weight, rather than trying to cut. I'm planning on making the big move from the 148's (a less competitive class) to the 165's (a highly competitive class). I'll probably stop placing at every meet (I've only done 2 so far), at least in the short term, but my real goal is to be a bigger and stronger dude, and leaning out for competitions every few months is definitely getting in the way of that. If you're going to be a world champion, different story.
    Thanks Rich. So you don't cycle off; that's good information to have. I believe I did gain some [water] weight from Creatine usage, just not sure how much. I've seen this gain characterized by some as "Creatine Bloat." Though I never feel 'bloated,' most mornings since I began taking 5-6 grams daily, my musculature looks and feels "tight" in the mirror.

Regarding weight classes, my coach suggested 165 and he shares your philosophy. Besides, in our local fed, the competition @165 in my age group isn't very deep anyways.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast