Thread: high postprandial blood sugar page

scottp0107 is offline Junior Member

high postprandial blood sugar

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i've been doing the primal thing on and off for the past few months, getting great results when I can stick to it. I'm getting better about sticking to it.

My question is about blood sugar readings. I recently purchased a blood glucose meter and have been getting what are to me strange readings. For example, this evening before dinner my reading was 79. All I had eaten since lunch was a peach a couple hours before the reading. An hour after dinner I was at 123. For dinner I had 3 eggs with some salsa, a couple strips of bacon, and a pile of broccoli w/ just salt and pepper. There was no hidden sugar anywhere. 123 an hour later seems high, considering Dr Davis over at heart scan blog recommends a below 100 postprandial reading. Any idea what could have raised my reading so far?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Might be a stretch, but if the salsa had tomato, maybe. It is fruit. 'Tis odd.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I've always tested at 2 hours after I started eating. The peach could do it (try to stick to 1/4 cup portions of fresh berries with a portion of fat and/or protein - never alone). Was the salsa homemade? How much broccoli? I'd recommend adding a fat to the broccoli, and some more protein to the whole meal. Did you do any activity after eating? Walking for 20 minutes after consuming carbs will help utilize them and leave less to spike your blood sugar. If the # is too high for you, lower your carbs.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LessofMimi View Post
    Walking for 20 minutes after consuming carbs will help utilize them and leave less to spike your blood sugar.
    I've done an n=1 test on this a couple times: it works!
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Also 123 may be a little high according to Dr. Davis, but it's a pretty solid # considering the peach 2 hours earlier. I wouldn't fret one borderline score. Test it regularly and you'll probably be fine, but really, 2 hours post prandrandial under 120 is fine, imo. The ADA says 140, but we don't like the ADA.

scottp0107 is offline Junior Member
    Just for kicks I just tested again, now 2 hours after eating, and came back with 103.

I'm not sure if the peach would be affecting anything, I ate it about 2 hours before the initial 79 reading so 3 hours before the after eating test.

I'm not overly worried about anything, more just looking for input as to what would have caused such a spike. The salsa was not home made, but was from trader joes and has about 5 ingredients, nothing weird. I didnt measure the broccoli, maybe a cup and a half. The whole meal was probably less than 15 carbs total.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    I think my blood sugars are normalizing over time. Is it reasonable to think that, if Scott were primal for an extended period of time, his would be a little lower too?

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooround View Post
    I think my blood sugars are normalizing over time. Is it reasonable to think that, if Scott were primal for an extended period of time, his would be a little lower too?
    +1. Definitely. Even after going sub-20 and going off all diabetes meds, my BG went and stayed high for a while, even to the point of considering going back on insulin/medication. Considering the damage I did to my beta cells, I'm grateful my #'s came down at all. The longer I go, being nice to my beta cells and everything else, with Primal, the more progress I see. I'd much rather be patient with slightly higher than normal #'s and keep being Primal, than go back to meds. Eventually, when I lose another 100 pounds, I hope to have stellar BG #'s.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Just for everyone's information, "two hours after eating" means two hours after the first bite, not two hours after you finish eating. I know, it confused me too.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html