Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some gym instructors are a waste of good skin ! page

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member

Angry Some gym instructors are a waste of good skin !

Primal Fuel
    I went to a different gym today and between sets watched in disbelief as person after person worked away with terrible form and/or dangerous exercises while the so called instructors stood chatting to each other about their latest phone Aps !

I'm sure you have to pay for personal training but surely a gym instructor is supposed to correct poor form even if not to provide routines ?

I'll give just two examples from today, you tell me what was wrong.

Person A performed upright rows using a 45lb weight plate with his hands together at the top.

Person B Performed tricep rope extensions, she started with her fists on the front of her thighs, she then let her arms drift forward roughly 6" before bending her elbows and letting her hands rise about 4", she would then push the weight back down to the start.

I really wanted to ask both people if they wanted a tip but they both were wearing ear phones and I felt stupid asking.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Were you in gym class today? Aren't you a little old for gym class?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Were you in gym class today? Aren't you a little old for gym class?
    Gym class ? I was just at the gym.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Well then. If it wasn't a gym class there's no reason for anyone to be instructing anyone.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well then. If it wasn't a gym class there's no reason for anyone to be instructing anyone.
    It's a leisure center, there are always instructors standing around.

jenna is offline Senior Member
    I know if it was me doing those exercises and screwing up, even if I had ear buds in, I would have wanted the tip. There's few things worse then working out at a gym and really having no clue what you are doing and just hoping you're not screwing it up too badly. Been there, done that. It actually intimidated me to the point where I stopped going because I knew I wasn't doing it right and didn't want to look stupid. I would have loved for someone to be kind enough to offer some tips instead of just staring at me like I really didn't belong there.

Quote Originally Posted by jenna View Post
    I know if it was me doing those exercises and screwing up, even if I had ear buds in, I would have wanted the tip. There's few things worse then working out at a gym and really having no clue what you are doing and just hoping you're not screwing it up too badly. Been there, done that. It actually intimidated me to the point where I stopped going because I knew I wasn't doing it right and didn't want to look stupid. I would have loved for someone to be kind enough to offer some tips instead of just staring at me like I really didn't belong there.
    Yeah maybe next time I'll get the nerve up to ask them. You never know how some people will take it though, the response to some of my posts on this forum prove that.
    It's sad but present culture has made us very wary of approaching people for many different reasons now days. A few years ago I was approached by a little girl on a beach who asked if I'd help her make a sandcastle, I told her my dinner was ready and virtually ran away back to my car. My son asked what I was talking about as we'd already had dinner and I had to explain how it can be perceived an adult talking to kids now days......very sad times.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I see trainers giving bad advice/form/exercises to PAYING CLIENTS every single day I'm in the gym. Every.

I don't offer advice at the gym unless it's something extreme--maybe like a kid who clearly has zero idea what he's doing and is seriously about to injure himself. That's it. Bros strapping onto a bar and doing bent-back divebomb deadlifts? Not my problem. Dudes squatting down about 4" on their toes? Not my circus, not my monkeys. I've pretty much given up on helping people I don't know out; the information's available if they want to learn.

venfayon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    I went to a different gym today and between sets watched in disbelief as person after person worked away with terrible form and/or dangerous exercises while the so called instructors stood chatting to each other about their latest phone Aps !

I'm sure you have to pay for personal training but surely a gym instructor is supposed to correct poor form even if not to provide routines ?

I'll give just two examples from today, you tell me what was wrong.

Person A performed upright rows using a 45lb weight plate with his hands together at the top.

Person B Performed tricep rope extensions, she started with her fists on the front of her thighs, she then let her arms drift forward roughly 6" before bending her elbows and letting her hands rise about 4", she would then push the weight back down to the start.

I really wanted to ask both people if they wanted a tip but they both were wearing ear phones and I felt stupid asking.
    Yeah, the guy should have performed the movement with dumbbells so his wrists don't get messed up and the chick shouldn't have been using machines, maybe tricep extension on the bench using her body weight or diamond push ups.

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    In general people don't want advice. In any area of life. Parents don't want advice about raising their kids. Friends don't truly want relationship advice. And that guy/gal that takes 20 tries to parallel park doesn't want advice either. So I generally keep it to myself. If I happen to make eye contact with someone in the gym and they look like they'd like to converse then I may say something. Generally, I wince and keep it moving.

There is a woman at my gym whose coach/trainer curses her out in all kinds of ways in an effort to "motivate" her to get a lift. Just about every day I see her, she has run out crying from what he's said to her. One day I asked her if she likes to be talked to that way. I also asked if she thinks it's helping her. She said she doesn't like it and gets angry when he talks to her that way. That conversation was months ago. She's still working with him. :-/ And when her squat form is so bad that she good-mornings a whole set, you know what he yells at her? "Get that sh!t up! Push you ..(bleep, bleep)." Even though her back must be killing her, she still works with him. So...yeah...people don't want advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast