Thread: 40 y/o male. Mostly fit. page

Shay is offline Junior Member

40 y/o male. Mostly fit.

Shop Now
    Days -14,931 through 0:

Iíve kept fairly trim through these days, but Iím not naturally ďrippedĒ. I was 36 the first time I had nice abs. Iíve accomplished this a few times since through a lot of slow cardio and strict adherence to a targeted ketogenic diet (TKD: ketogenic except post workout). The TKD is great (for body comp, at least) if you have the time to lift weights several times a week, otherwise you have nothing to target.

Days -100 through -1:

Did the 100x100 burpee challenge. This brought me around a bit more to the primal way of thinking. All those burpees, and I feel a bit less in shape than when I started. I knew endless burpees wasnít optimal by day 20, but I kept goingóstubborn.

A few years ago I had a physical job, physical friends, and plenty of time to spend in the gym. Then I got an office job and a young child. To try to stay physical, I got into bodyweight exercises Ö with mixed results. Some of it has worked (500 pushups ed, Gotch Bible), but Iíve too often been lured into the 300s, wod, chronic cardio side of the bodyweight exercise trend.

Day 0:

Just back from 10-daysí vacation in the dairy state. I ate my way through it. Current bodyweight is 189: a little over-flabby and under muscled for me. Iím afraid Iíll drop to a soft 180 (at 6í) when all the bloat is gone. My car is in the body shop and I donít have much for groceries, so Iím making this day 0 in order to follow the plan as closely as possible starting tomorrow. Eating some chuck roast (grain fed) and ďcheatingĒ with the last of the Bulgarian yogurt I bought for my house sitter. Reading the 21-day book.

Day 1:

Only six-hoursí sleep, and that was interrupted several times by a sick 16 month old. Up early to walk to work and pick up my car. Six ounces chuck roast for breakfast and a six-mile walk to work. Another six ounces of chuck for lunch. Take home two leftover pieces of barbequed (no sauce) chicken from work for dinner. Take the kid for a nightly one-hour walk to get a Perrier and stroll through the park. Iíve just finished a little spray painting and the bottoms of my feet are sticky, so I make the walk barefoot. Come back and have a decaf bulletproof coffee. I donít ďclean outĒ the pantry; my wife and nanny would starve to death.

Day 2:

For the first time in 16 years, we decide to sleep without dogs in the bed. I get close to eight-hoursí sleep, but I have to go lay with the sick child again, so 45 minutes or so of my eight hours is spent with a squirmy, wheezy little boy on my chestópoor little guy. On top of that, I find the dogs back in the bed when I wake up. Getting low on food and wasnít able to get the car last night, so I cook my last two eggs with some cheese for breakfast. Four ounces of chuck for lunch. My feet are blistered from six miles in oxfords plus an hour walk barefoot, but I try to arrange a standing desk at work by placing my keyboard on a trashcan. This doesnít work out, because my laptop, monitor, and mouse are still on my desk. Itíll take a big platform to get both a laptop and screen up high enough. Think Iíll have to build something. I catch a ride to go pick up my car, so I finally have a car again, but my wifeís car overheats on the way home, so weíre back to one car for at least another day. My life sounds a little messier than it is: just a run of bad ďluckĒ with the cars and sick child. While Iím out for my walk with said child, I pick up eggs and bacon from the corner store to have something to eat until I can finally get to the grocery store. Starving by dinner, so I have a Jackís Links jerky (yeah, bad), four-egg omelet, and an ounce or two of chuck roast (still the cheap stuff).

Shay is offline Junior Member
    Day 3:

I’ve lost the dogs-in-bed battle. Still, get 7.5 hours sleep. Wake up five minutes before the alarm. 186.3 lbs this morning (about three pounds of bloat dropped so far). I’m supposed to plan a primal party today. I’m not going to do that. Not a party person, and, if I’m going to celebrate/announce anything, it will be a “have done” not a “gonna” or “fixing to.” Four eggs and four pieces of bacon with a little cheese for breakfast. Take the stairs up to the office (17 floors) for a little movement. Forgot to pack lunch, so I eat some leftover fajita meat from one of the meeting rooms. Very little quality meat so far, so I’m basically eating exactly how I did before minus fruit. Not an auspicious start. Still haven’t been to the grocery store. Stomach feels tight, so I definitely look better in a shirt already. This, for me, has always been a near-immediate advantage to low-carb. Pick up my wife from work to go pick up her car, so most of my evening is gone. Six ounces of chuck for supper, an hour walk with the little one, and off to bed.