Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 y/o male. Mostly fit. page

Shay is offline Junior Member

40 y/o male. Mostly fit.

Primal Fuel
    Days -14,931 through 0:

I’ve kept fairly trim through these days, but I’m not naturally “ripped”. I was 36 the first time I had nice abs. I’ve accomplished this a few times since through a lot of slow cardio and strict adherence to a targeted ketogenic diet (TKD: ketogenic except post workout). The TKD is great (for body comp, at least) if you have the time to lift weights several times a week, otherwise you have nothing to target.

Days -100 through -1:

Did the 100x100 burpee challenge. This brought me around a bit more to the primal way of thinking. All those burpees, and I feel a bit less in shape than when I started. I knew endless burpees wasn’t optimal by day 20, but I kept going—stubborn.

A few years ago I had a physical job, physical friends, and plenty of time to spend in the gym. Then I got an office job and a young child. To try to stay physical, I got into bodyweight exercises … with mixed results. Some of it has worked (500 pushups ed, Gotch Bible), but I’ve too often been lured into the 300s, wod, chronic cardio side of the bodyweight exercise trend.

Day 0:

Just back from 10-days’ vacation in the dairy state. I ate my way through it. Current bodyweight is 189: a little over-flabby and under muscled for me. I’m afraid I’ll drop to a soft 180 (at 6’) when all the bloat is gone. My car is in the body shop and I don’t have much for groceries, so I’m making this day 0 in order to follow the plan as closely as possible starting tomorrow. Eating some chuck roast (grain fed) and “cheating” with the last of the Bulgarian yogurt I bought for my house sitter. Reading the 21-day book.

Day 1:

Only six-hours’ sleep, and that was interrupted several times by a sick 16 month old. Up early to walk to work and pick up my car. Six ounces chuck roast for breakfast and a six-mile walk to work. Another six ounces of chuck for lunch. Take home two leftover pieces of barbequed (no sauce) chicken from work for dinner. Take the kid for a nightly one-hour walk to get a Perrier and stroll through the park. I’ve just finished a little spray painting and the bottoms of my feet are sticky, so I make the walk barefoot. Come back and have a decaf bulletproof coffee. I don’t “clean out” the pantry; my wife and nanny would starve to death.

Day 2:

For the first time in 16 years, we decide to sleep without dogs in the bed. I get close to eight-hours’ sleep, but I have to go lay with the sick child again, so 45 minutes or so of my eight hours is spent with a squirmy, wheezy little boy on my chest—poor little guy. On top of that, I find the dogs back in the bed when I wake up. Getting low on food and wasn’t able to get the car last night, so I cook my last two eggs with some cheese for breakfast. Four ounces of chuck for lunch. My feet are blistered from six miles in oxfords plus an hour walk barefoot, but I try to arrange a standing desk at work by placing my keyboard on a trashcan. This doesn’t work out, because my laptop, monitor, and mouse are still on my desk. It’ll take a big platform to get both a laptop and screen up high enough. Think I’ll have to build something. I catch a ride to go pick up my car, so I finally have a car again, but my wife’s car overheats on the way home, so we’re back to one car for at least another day. My life sounds a little messier than it is: just a run of bad “luck” with the cars and sick child. While I’m out for my walk with said child, I pick up eggs and bacon from the corner store to have something to eat until I can finally get to the grocery store. Starving by dinner, so I have a Jack’s Links jerky (yeah, bad), four-egg omelet, and an ounce or two of chuck roast (still the cheap stuff).

Day 3:

I’ve lost the dogs-in-bed battle. Still, get 7.5 hours sleep. Wake up five minutes before the alarm. 186.3 lbs this morning (about three pounds of bloat dropped so far). I’m supposed to plan a primal party today. I’m not going to do that. Not a party person, and, if I’m going to celebrate/announce anything, it will be a “have done” not a “gonna” or “fixing to.” Four eggs and four pieces of bacon with a little cheese for breakfast. Take the stairs up to the office (17 floors) for a little movement. Forgot to pack lunch, so I eat some leftover fajita meat from one of the meeting rooms. Very little quality meat so far, so I’m basically eating exactly how I did before minus fruit. Not an auspicious start. Still haven’t been to the grocery store. Stomach feels tight, so I definitely look better in a shirt already. This, for me, has always been a near-immediate advantage to low-carb. Pick up my wife from work to go pick up her car, so most of my evening is gone. Six ounces of chuck for supper, an hour walk with the little one, and off to bed.

Day 4:

I get 8 hours of sleep, but only by over sleeping. Up late, so skip the shower, skip the shave, eat about four tablespoons of guacamole for breakfast, and jump on the bike ... almost. I'm short one petal from the last time I put the bikes on the trailer. It's here somewhere, but I'm not exactly sure where and don't have time to look. Disappointed, I go back for a better breakfast--chuck again-- and take the car to work. I work half days on Fridays, so I'm off by 10. I finally have a chance to get to the store.

Every time I step into Whole Foods, two things immediately occur to me:
    1. Damn, they're a bit proud of this stuff.
    2. Hey, wait, the people here look less healthy than the people at the regular grocery store.

I pick up some primal supplies, hoping I'm not as crazy buying $30-a-pound salmon as the guy buying a bag of candy and nuts labeled as trail mix, each of us wholly convinced our respective purchase will ensure a hundred-and-ten-year lifespan.

They're out of grass-fed beef, but they do have grass-fed buffalo. The butcher's apologetic tone tells me it probably tastes as dry and chewy (lean) as it looks. Guess that'll leave room to slather it with grass-fed butter. I also get some coconut flakes. Not sure what for, but they're cheap and in the book. Oh, and a few tins of kippered herring. Relatively cheap and delicious, and, unlike the salmon, don't require cooking.

In get home, grab a handful of the coconut flakes, some of the butter, and a half pound of ground buffalo and fry it up, 1950s style on the stove--not terrible. A bacon lettuce wrap tops off my lunch, and, tired of grease, I have kippered herring and decaf bulletproof coffee for supper. My only real exercise is my nightly walk with he little boy.

Milicoqui is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Day 4:

Every time I step into Whole Foods, two things immediately occur to me:

1. Damn, they're a bit proud of this stuff.
    2. Hey, wait, the people here look less healthy than the people at the regular grocery store.

I pick up some primal supplies, hoping I'm not as crazy buying $30-a-pound salmon as the guy buying a bag of candy and nuts labeled as trail mix, each of us wholly convinced our respective purchase will ensure a hundred-and-ten-year lifespan.
    LOL. My WF is in Arlington VA and he majority of humans here look damn fit. ROFL @ candy and nuts labeled as trail mix. I like what you ate, sounds good to me!

Thanks, Milicoqui.

Day 5:

I get a nice eight-hours' sleep then get up and head to the farmer's market, which is a typical Saturday morning thing. The wife, little boy, and I split some "farm eggs" and pulled pork. I get a cup of coffee. That's usually it, but today I of course rummage around for fatty, grass fed beef cuts. I like the farmers market; and I like Modern (capital M) art and composert; and I even like some avant garde; however, I'm not really at home with that crowd. They're fetishization of craft beer and craft candy and craft burgers can be hard to stomach--pun intended.

But, I find my grass fed cuts (and some craft cheese), so I'm stocked up for the week. Meals are as they have been: one bacon and egg meal and two beef meals. We tear out most of the garden, and I even work outside for about 15 minutes with my shirt off. I'm focused on going all in with the Primal. My wife takes the little boy over to a friend's house, so we don't get our evening walk.
    Last edited by Shay; 09-05-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Days 6 through 9:

Still hanging in there. Day 6 was my first time to the gym in a year. My strength, such that it was, is mostly intact, but the workout was not fun. I have no stamina. I don't get winded, just draaaaained. Day 8 I took the stairs at work. That was also not fun. Day 7 I worked all day in the garage and garden, but my appetite was not increased. I likely under ate. I have experienced some insomnia, which is rare for me.

So far, not good. Hopefully this is a carb flu kind of thing. Going to get through 21 days before making a decision.
    Last edited by Shay; 09-05-2014 at 04:29 AM.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    So far, not good. Hopefully this is a carb flu kind of thing. Going to get through 21 days before making a decision.
    Keep it going Shay. I've been following your thread, it seems you are giving it a truly fair shot, hopefully the bod responds soon and you start feeling better and stronger. Is your wife participating or is she tolerating? If you can get her on board it will make the whole thing a lot easier, having a compatriot in the journey is a huge plus in dealing with low points in the journey.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Thank you, Rig D. Whoa, looks like it's already

Day 16:

Still going. I’m better at following a diet that I am writing about it, obviously.

I’m not sure if I had a virus or just went through some sort of carb withdrawal, but I’m feeling better now. Maybe I’ve crossed the threshold and become a “fat-burning beast.” Time will tell, I suppose.

I have been 100% primal and low carb, but I’ve been consciously over eating to self medicate for flu-like symptoms. I’ve still only had one workout and have completely abandoned the daily tasks prescribed in the 21-day primal journal. But, again, I’m feeling much better now. Bodyweight seems to be holding at 184 (five pounds down). This is good news: I've apparently got more body and less bloat to work with than I'd thought.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Progress in your journey!
    Eat when hungry, stop when not hungry. If you are feeling better, cut back on the over eating. Hopefully you can get going on the exercise. If you have lost the physical edge, start slow and easy and work it up gradually. You are in a marathon event so overdoing the exercise at the get-go may be self defeating.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 23 – Let’s see how I did:

Eat Lots of Plants and Animals: 8/10. I’m still putting too much time into shopping for and cooking meat, so shopping for and cooking vegetables has gotten squeezed into the margins. I also spent three or four days eating PUFA beef before I found the time to visit primal meat sources. I’m giving myself a 7/10 plus one bonus point for ordering a half-side of grass-fed beef.

Guess I’ll record my weight here: 182.2 (down about 7 lbs.)

Avoid Poisonous Things: 9/10. I cut the diet sodas and prepared food completely, but I did eat some PUFA meat and non-organic vegetables.

Move Frequently at a Slow Pace: 7/10. Grading on an office-guy curve. I was a roughneck a few years ago, so “moving frequently” is now a relative measure. Still, I go for an hour walk every night and spend most of my off time standing up. Starting from 8/10 and subtracting a point for never having managed to get my standing desk set up. I have, however, been squatting in my chair for an hour or so each day.

Lift Heavy Things: 2/10. I made two trips to the gym. I was a little ill on the first trip, but I felt VERY ready for the second. I did a little working out at home between those gym trips, but I scaled back my home workouts to be ready for my “big gym day.” When my “big gym day” came, I waited at home through six prime gym hours till the child care opened up during rush hour. I then drove 4.5 miles in 30 minutes, found my child HARD asleep in his carrier, and immediately drove straight back home through the same traffic.

I couldn’t make myself wake up my son, walk him through the rain, and drop him off at gym childcare just so I could lift weights for 45 minutes. I’m conflicted about the childcare anyway: We don’t watch television at home, but the childcare room obviously takes full advantage of the “electronic nanny.” I’m ready to give up on the gym and commit doing the best I can at home. Pretty sad about that; the gym used to be an every day thing.

Sprint Once in a While: 5/10. I took the stairs at work (17 floors) 2-3 days a week and did some burpees at home. No actual sprints, because I have a hard time getting out of the house alone. I could sprint with the stroller, I suppose, but I try to make our walks a slow-paced, reflective time, both for myself and to instill that habit in my son.

Get Adequate Sleep: 8/10. I made a lot of improvement. Honestly, I’m not really feeling a benefit during my waking hours, but, fwiw, I’m getting “enough” sleep.

Play: 1/10. When I hear about the tug-of-war and various games at the Primal Cons, I know that I’m not interested in going to Primal Con. Sport just doesn’t appeal to me.

Get Adequate Sunlight: 2/10. I went out to the garden twice for maybe 15 minutes with my shirt off. For me, that’s progress. A few years ago, I went to an endocrinologist to complain about sleepy spells. She told me everything was normal except vitamin D. I take a vitamin D supplement, but could obviously stand to cut down on the sunscreen.

Avoid Stupid Mistakes: 10/10. My stupid mistakes are almost always bicycle related, and I haven’t had the time for that.

Use Your Brain: 12/10. Flashcard apps; old, thick books; programming. I’ve got that one covered. My brain is rarely idle, which is why I know I’m still in a little bit of a fog. I should be in ketosis already, so I don’t think this is a transitional phase. The “squirrel chasing” has been terrible, so much so that I made a voluntary installation visit yesterday to keep myself out of the office, thinking a new set of stimuli would do my concentration some good.

So, not perfect on my part, but not terrible.

Post “challenge,” I’m settling into a groove. I’ve got a freezer full of meat on the way to cut down on the shopping and am considering a second, heavier kettlebell to add flexibility to my home workouts.

I threw a wrench into the works this morning with a few bites of cake. That was a planned thing, not a surrender to carb cravings. I haven’t had strong carb cravings. One week of debilitating weakness aside, the primal “challenge” was relatively comfortable.

I’m still in what I consider an evaluation period, not quite ready to drink the primal cool aid. In truth, I’m not even sure what the primal cool aide is. One paleo (lowercase p) expert says we ate mostly meat with occasional fruit, another says it was mostly tigernuts with occasional meat. Either way, I’m a little flabby now, so a few more weeks of low carb shouldn’t hurt.
    Last edited by Shay; 09-26-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast