Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HeuristicFireFlower's Journey to Health; Seeking Positive Experiences page

HeuristicFireFlower's Journey to Health; Seeking Positive Experiences

Shop Now
    Okay, It's time to redo my diet, for real. I have blood sugar issues that are scaring the heck outta me. Using my dad's old glucose meter I'm getting fasting blood sugars in the high 90's to 101-105. Sucks! I've been measuring post meal blood sugars for about a week. Definitely in the glucose impaired zone. I still wasn't on the wagon and after a piece of cake with frosting the other day the BS shot up to 181-212 after one hour!!!!!!! AAAAahhhh no, I freaked out! If I ever wanted a reason to start being serious, this is it. Last few days have spent hours on the net seeking answers and understanding. Scary to find myself tottering on the fine line of severe insulin resistance, a very tired pancreas and full blown diabetes. Heck no, I don't want to go down that slope! So, I've landed (once again) on Mark's Daily Apple to journal my journey back to health and strength using the Primal steps.

Never imagined emotional trauma would have such a massive impact on the next 7 years. Stress that never had time to dissipate and compounded from one event after another.2007, my Pop passed away and then in 2010 my brother. Being a caretaker, dealing with hospice and facing after death arrangements for both was a heavy heavy experience for me. Doesn't help to be attached to one's first car or any object. Month before my brother died I was in a collision that totaled my beloved Z28. When it doesn't rain it pours.
    My thyroid was affected for about 2 years during these events. Thankfully I'm off the meds, now. This year I was rear-ended and lost my 2nd car (third freakin' collision caused by someone else). A car I really didn't want to get rid of. It took me a year to find it! Insurance Comp.s don't believe in fairness. Driving an old car with feeble air conditioning in 90-100 degree California heat-waves. etc. etc. Sigh. Emotionally, I'm pretty sensitive so I, unfortunately, crumbled with so many things slamming me at once. The stress and anger of having things snatched from me and having no control over any of this was too much. I fed my emotional black hole.

From here, I've been the classic example of what to do to get diabetes:
    Eat lots of pizza, wrap your meat and tuna with bread of all kinds or eat the meat /bread fried at fast food joints, add bags of Doritos or potato chips to round out the meals. Snack on ice cream sandwiches or have it for breakfast or just before bed!
    Drink Coffee Bean Ice Blendeds after 4pm to give you energy
    Screw up the circadian rhythms with TV till morning. Bed meaning going to sleep at 3-4am
    Stop exercising for a year and sit in front of the computer for hours (although, it's hard to do health research without doing so) and doing nothing to mitigate the super sedentary behavior.
    Keep reliving all the things that piss you off thereby continuing the steady cortisol squirts.

Seeing the blood sugars so high has scared me straight.
    I am now, on a rather "Paleo" menu. NO grains, legumes or starches for a month to see if I can get my fasting blood sugar back down to the 80's. My carbs this week have been below 70 grams. Today it was under 28 grams. I know that controlling cortisol is one key to keeping blood sugar level. This is a big one for me.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 08-27-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Well, today FBS is 95. Better than the freak out reading of 121, but, not good.
    Had a stuffed beef pasilla chile with a sprinkling of Cypress Grove Midnight Moon grated cheese for brunch. :d

I have already lost 3 pounds and my mind is clear. My fat intake is about 41% of my diet. I feel good.
    The times I'd ingest high carb meal usually over 60 grams in one sitting, I'd feel so fatigued and comatose for an hour....my glucose readings must've been over 180-200 at these times, as well.
    How mean I've been to my body.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 08-27-2014 at 01:44 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Without clogging up your journal with my own tale, I can totally relate how having a loved one die can send you spinning.

Be good to you and best wishes! Oh, and don't blame yourself for your former way of eating - the powers that be have been pushing us to eat like livestock for over 40 years.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Hi JoanieL, Yah. The family losses have been the most impressive events of my later years. With much support from alternative doctors, friends, cousins I've come through the other side and am ready to get back in gear. Yes, it's time to do for me. Long time coming. Oh I see it all over the place. Big Food and Pharma, etc. not making any changes unless they can profit. It's incredibly disgusting how these big corps are pulling strings at the Federal level...
    If it weren't for the unconventional bloggers and fantastic researchers of health science, like Mark, I wouldn't be able to find a safe path out of my current health predicament. I look forward to reading some more of your threads.
    Thanks for posting and the encouragement.

Today, I had a bit more calories (1740 to be exact) as I'm not used to the low carb existence, yet, and felt a bit underpar. Not quite fatigued, but, not full muscle strength availability, either. My fat intake was 124 grams, but I kept the carbs at 50gm. Am still learning about lo-carb eating and still doing research to fix my severe insulin/glucose impaired system.

At the chiropracters, today, weakness is noticeable in left leg and tons of muscle tension all over back and neck. On the bright side I can still walk a fast pace for over an hour in the afternoons. Will resume light weight exercises in a week. Look forward to getting into a routine of physical activity with a purpose.

My stats today:
    174 lb.s @ 5'7"
    FBS - 93. Sigh. I'm also on progesterone cream and I'm reading articles that it can readily cause insulin resistance. SO, all I do will have to,also, mitigate this impact on my system. I hate hot flashes and they have gotten bad enough to make me dizzy/nauseous and suppress muscle use when I am hit with it while hiking. So, I am using hormone therapy to help alleviate this because it can be hell. F'ing hate it. Which brings me to the final aspect I must control - Sturrresss!!!!!! I can't fight everything or take everything personal. There are some things I'm going to have to let go. I've been chronically stressed since I got laid off in 2005 and realized my skills were not transferable at the time...living with my parents I also began to notice my dad was declining in health which sucked me into nurse duties to alleviate his unwillingness to help himself. Death, car losses, menopause, caretaker to my mom, in a financial hole, etc. Say about 9 years of chronic tension and all the unbalanced behaviors that scene creates. No wonder I am where I am!

Well, this is how I see it:
    I'm actually right at the cusp, the red zone of crossing over to the abyss of diabetes. Listening to Jimmy Moore's very informative interview podcasts, I became curious to see what my post meal blood sugars were. It was eye opening and put the right fear in me to stop the nonsense in diet and physical inactivity and correct all of it. And stop stressing. I'm still not back in the gym. But, I have begun to walk about 3 times a week. I've cut my carbs and now will never exceed 100 a day (usually on average below 65gm/day) and allow only one meal a day with no more than 25gm of carbs and better under 10gm a meal. I've dropped the average fasting blood sugar to low 90's in one week! Now, I imagine my numbers have a very real chance of reaching the normal healthy zone of low 80's, maybe even 70's when I add a regular routine of exercise and fun physical activities. Whew, I think I still have a good window of time to turn all of my issues around and eating Primally is the fulcrum to my new wholistic approach to help me.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 08-28-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Blood Sugar Control Understanding

This is an excellent explanation of what goes on when one ingests a meal. Scared me straight!
    How Blood Sugar Control Works--And How It Stops Working
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 08-28-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Meant2Move is offline Senior Member
    Hi there! I was just browsing journals and noticed yours is new.

As you adapt to your new diet you may well find that the hot flashes diminish on their own. I find that unless I am eating grains, I don't have them. When I add grains in (for me GF bagels are a treat I occasionally indulge in when I'm extra active) I start noticing temperature swings, mostly at night. Drop the GF bagels and presto magic, the temperature problems go away really quickly. Technically I am not menopausal as I haven't gone a full year, but as with the temperature problems, if I relax on my diet and particularly if I eat much wheat or other processed carbs, I may trigger a period. Just another reason to stay on track!

Anyway, I wish you success.
    M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
    - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Hi Meant2Move!

Interesting and good to read about grains and flashes. I think it probably disrupts something in the endocrine system, maybe because of the insulin surges and the cascading effects on other systems. Reading Wheat Belly and learning that wheat can have a bigger insulin response than actual sucrose is food for thought. Well, I def know that overloading on carbs is bad bad bad. I really hope this new eating approach will greatly reduce the flashes for me as well and I look forward to diminishing heat events since I have dropped all grains for now and really don't plan on eating wheat again since it seems to trigger joint pain and IBS issues. So, it's the last thing I should be eating, anyway. I do miss tortillas, tho. Thanks for your post! This is what I enjoy and look forward to more learning through other generous folks' experiences!

Todays calorie totals are 982. I know low, but, I'm still getting the hang of balancing the macros while keeping carbs low. Carb count is 48 today. Fat 74gm. Protein at 40gm
    I am pretty satisfied and not really hungry. My 3rd "meal" was 1 cup coconut milk with a scoop of vanilla protein powder. I think I may have a snack of ground beef/bison stuffed pepper to bring up the calories.
    Overall a good day. Energy is ok, mind is clear. Absolutely no comatose after meal moments! But, am still feeling a bit thick headed and not really energized. Don't feel could sustain much of a workout in a gym session feeling like this.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 08-28-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Am not working out, yet. Trying to get used to lo-carb and low calorie routine as I'm never hungry in the morning. Rarely eat before noon. Am wondering how this affrcts my blood sugar in the morning since reading cortisol can induce glucose secretions before waking up. Am wondering if I should do a straight on ketogenic diet for a bit, but, I've also read this CAN make you insulin resistant. Kinda confused. I want to get my FBS down to high 70's and post meals under 120.
    Since I do 90% of the cooking, my mom who IS diabetic, is also on the lo-carb diet. I feel bad because she is so used to her tortillas. And I don't want her ketogenic 'cause I don't know how she'd fair. Only applying what I know for sure is healthy the Primal Diet.......with one or two tortillas a day for mum.

Today I have lost 2 more pounds.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 08-31-2014 at 03:04 PM.

HeuristicFireFlower's Journey to Health; Seeking Positive Experiences

This is a good day. I strongly believe I've become fat-adapted. For 8 days I've kept carbs below 90gm and on average to less than 60g a day. Today my 1st meal was at 5pm. Not really hungry, the heat keeps appetite at bay, too. First meal carb total- 9g, protein - 26g and fat - 28g. To me it seemd like a small portion, but, it was enough.

Their are some local neighborhood stairs I use on and off to bring up my endurance. Haven't climbed then for about 3-4 months....no energy and pre-occupied with personal stuff. Today, walking about 30 min with my mom I suddenly felt I could do a few rounds. This after a 9g carb meal. Climbed slowly as I wasn't sure if I'd get light-headed. Leg muscles needed to warm up, but, after one round they were ready.

Now, I haven't been exercising regularly (or even at all) for about year. So, I'm back at square one in terms of bringing up my endurance and training level. I don't have impressive sprint or lifting results at aaaaaall. Just a regular fat, insulin resistant gal working to change the program. So, climbing the stairs today, paying close attention to how I felt, I realized that I'm probably using fat for fuel!!! I didn't feel any dip in energy, legs didn't suddenly feel heavy and tired, even though, I hadn't climbed them in over 3 months. Lo and behold, 2 hours after this one meal today, I was able to do 5 non-stop rounds on the stairs, about 100 steps one way. I was moderately out of breath, but, by no means, huffy.
    Am really stoked at where I am physically today. This is a big deal for me, as I'm not athletic by any means.
    FBS before 1st meal - 105. :/
    BS 2 hours after meal 1 - 135 That's TOOO HIGH for a lo-carb meal...but then protein also raises BS....
    BS 3 hours after meal and after the stairs - 95. Well, better, but, still not good. At least not a scary high, still have room to work with. And just started on this program. The exercise part is the slow one to be implemented. Looking to find that reason to do it. By that I mean find the particular pleasure in climbing stairs or walking or lifting. In progress.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 09-03-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast