Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 weeks and no physical change - help! page

jaimed722 is offline Junior Member

Question 4 weeks and no physical change - help!

Hey all! I have devoured this site (though I'm sure I've nowhere scratched the surface of what it has to offer). I feel like I'm following it pretty closely. I eat primally, I get sleep, I go forest bathing (usually park bathing, as it were) as much as possible, I exercise like Grok. On one hand, I feel a million times better than I did before. I ate healthy before, but I just feel "cleaner" having eliminated grains and beans. On the other hand, I'm not seeing the results in my waistline I'd hoped to see. I've been solid for about 4 weeks and would have thought I'd see some type of physical change by now.

Mark says 80% of our body composition is a result of food, so I'm thinking that's where my problem is. Maybe someone can give me an idea of what I could do differently?

This is a typical day. Breakfast: coffee with local honey and coconut milk, 1/2 sweet potato and other veggies (squash, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, whatever I can find in the fridge) sauteed in coconut oil, and two eggs. If I'm feeling especially hungry I may have some berries with raw sunflower seeds. Lunch: today was roasted beets tossed in olive oil, and an eggplant casserole (eggplant, grass fed ground beef, onions, bell peppers, and sauce made from raw cashews, squash and coconut milk). Snack: handful of raw almonds and sometimes I'll add a piece of fruit (apple or donut peach are my go-to's). Dinner: I always include a protein (chicken, ground beef, turkey or fish), veggies (spinach, squash, broccoli, green beans, sweet potatoes - again, whatever is on hand). If I feel like I just absolutely need dessert, it's fruit (usually berries) with a little honey.

Twice per week I lift heavy things, I walk daily, do yoga a few times per week, and once a week I'll go for a good run.

I'm struggling to get away from the mainstream thinking of calorie restriction and work out harder to burn more calories. If I think I'm hungry I'll drink water, and if I really am hungry I'll have a healthy snack. But the number on the scale hasn't budged and the little muffin top around my waistband isn't melting. I'm trying to be patient, because I LOVE that I can just eat primally and not have to track every morsel that goes into my mouth. BUT, it's a little discouraging that I have seen any physical changes.

Any feedback is welcome!

Elliot is online now Senior Member

PrimalFarmGirl is offline Junior Member
    I'd have to agree.Cut down on the nuts and try lower carb veggies or eat the higher carb veggies on lift heavy days.Also is it possible you are at an optimal weight?Weight,height and gender would be appreciated.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I could never lose waist on 3 meals a day (it's an industrial concept IMO). Those meals are solid--continue with them for a bit to replenish any nutrients that your previous diet lacked, then experiment with collapsing them into fewer meals per week. I agree tracking morsels is no way to live but everything tastes better with a mild appetite.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Salome_Schmidt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimed722 View Post
    Hey all! I have devoured this site (though I'm sure I've nowhere scratched the surface of what it has to offer). I feel like I'm following it pretty closely. I eat primally, I get sleep, I go forest bathing (usually park bathing, as it were) as much as possible, I exercise like Grok. On one hand, I feel a million times better than I did before. I ate healthy before, but I just feel "cleaner" having eliminated grains and beans. On the other hand, I'm not seeing the results in my waistline I'd hoped to see. I've been solid for about 4 weeks and would have thought I'd see some type of physical change by now.

Mark says 80% of our body composition is a result of food, so I'm thinking that's where my problem is. Maybe someone can give me an idea of what I could do differently?

This is a typical day. Breakfast: coffee with local honey and coconut milk, 1/2 sweet potato and other veggies (squash, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, whatever I can find in the fridge) sauteed in coconut oil, and two eggs. If I'm feeling especially hungry I may have some berries with raw sunflower seeds. Lunch: today was roasted beets tossed in olive oil, and an eggplant casserole (eggplant, grass fed ground beef, onions, bell peppers, and sauce made from raw cashews, squash and coconut milk). Snack: handful of raw almonds and sometimes I'll add a piece of fruit (apple or donut peach are my go-to's). Dinner: I always include a protein (chicken, ground beef, turkey or fish), veggies (spinach, squash, broccoli, green beans, sweet potatoes - again, whatever is on hand). If I feel like I just absolutely need dessert, it's fruit (usually berries) with a little honey.

Twice per week I lift heavy things, I walk daily, do yoga a few times per week, and once a week I'll go for a good run.

I'm struggling to get away from the mainstream thinking of calorie restriction and work out harder to burn more calories. If I think I'm hungry I'll drink water, and if I really am hungry I'll have a healthy snack. But the number on the scale hasn't budged and the little muffin top around my waistband isn't melting. I'm trying to be patient, because I LOVE that I can just eat primally and not have to track every morsel that goes into my mouth. BUT, it's a little discouraging that I have seen any physical changes.

Any feedback is welcome!
    That's a great maintenance diet, but for weight loss it's too many carbs. Don't count calories, but replace either the nuts or the fruits with non starchy vegetables. If your hormones and metabolism is as out of wack as mine, you really have to be careful with carbs. Have your fruit serving or a sweet potato with some protein right after a workout - at other times: stay away from them. And then your honey and your feeling of "absolutely needing desert" - sounds to me as if you are still sugar addicted. Go without any sugar (honey or fruit) for a few days and then see if you still crave it. Probably you won't. At the moment you are constantly spiking your insulin. You have honey in the morning AND in the evening and fruit and sweet potato in between. In the paleo world, honey is a super special treat (just imagine how many risks a hunter gatherer had take to get a bit of it), you are using it twice daily, so your insulin is always present (and insulin is the fat storage hormone). You need to give your body a full rest from it to even give it the opportunity for fat loss - your problem is not so much calories but your type of calories. Also have some fermented stuff like sauerkraut or olives to help your gut.
    Last edited by Salome_Schmidt; 08-25-2014 at 04:09 PM.

paleodog is offline Senior Member

Too much food/Cals perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by jaimed722 View Post

Any feedback is welcome!
    Do you think you may simply be just consuming too much food overall in the course of one day? Have you tried eating less regardless of carb ratios, etc.

Salome_Schmidt is offline Junior Member
    Also - 4 weeks is not long at all for healthy weight loss. This is not a crash diet and it doesn't work through a caloric deficit, but rahter through a healing of your hormones and metabolism. this can easily take a few weeks, before nutrient deficiencies have been regulated and your body switches fat storage off. It took me 3 months before I saw any significant changes.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Start tracking your macros. If you're already tracking them, make sure you're being really truthful and accurate.

Also, stop "devouring this site". It's got tons of carbs and calories.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

jaimed722 is offline Junior Member
    This is some great feedback, thanks to everyone. I'll try cutting down the starches and getting rid of nuts and honey and see if that helps. And just to clarify, I didn't expect miraculous, overnight changes or anything, but I thought I might have seen some sort of physical changes by now. To answer one of you, I'm 5'5 female, 135lbs. Yes, I know I'm not overweight, and at my last health eval my cholesterol, glucose and blood pressure were all fantastic. But I sure would love it if that midsection goo would go away. And, like someone pointed out, 4 weeks may not be long enough to see the changes, particularly where I'm already at a healthy weight.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    you're already at a healthy weight, as you know, but you're eating 5-6 times a day. what is actually driving the snacky-snacky-snack habit?

1 oz of macadamias is only 10 nuts and is 200 cals. 1 oz of almonds is only about 20 nuts but 165 cals. that adds up. how big are your "handfuls"?

eat bigger meals, with more protein. have 4 eggs instead of 2 at breakfast. for now, drop the nuts, seeds and honey. get yourself to 3 meals a day and eventually see if that can be condensed to 2.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast