Thread: Anyone have a favorite Ratatouille recipe? page

ToddAndMargo is offline Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada

Anyone have a favorite Ratatouille recipe?

Shop Now
    Anyone have a favorite Ratatouille recipe?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Yes - roasted ratatouille! I chop aubergines (eggplant) and courgettes (zucchini) into even sized chunks, salt them and leave for about 40 minutes. Chop large beef tomatoes into quarters, reed onions into thick slices. Rinse and pat dry the aubergines band zucchini then tip all of the veg into a large bowl and add a few gluts of evoo. Add salt, pepper, some oregano and stir about. leave to marinade for about 20 minutes then give a final stir and tip onto a foil lined baking tray. Place in medium hot oven and cook for about 30 / 40 minutes, until the aubergine is soft and melting in texture. Serve.

While they are in the oven I usually roast some chicken thighs, or wings, or lamb chops etc to eat with it.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I like to soften a couple of chopped onions very gently in some olive oil, then add plenty of chopped garlic (I find that crushed can become bitter), and then add chopped fresh tomatoes, aubergine (eggplant), courgettes (zucchini) and some red and yellow peppers, salt and pepper to taste. I then cover and continue cooking very slowly (checking if I need to add liquid) for 2 - 3 hours. If I do need to add liquid, and I don't have any vegetarians to feed, I'll use a chicken stock, otherwise water or vegetable stock go in. Right at the end, just before serving, I like to stir some fresh basil through the mixture.

This freezes really well, too, as long as you haven't added basil, which goes really bitter in the freezer.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    1. I grill eggplant and summer squashes (yellow and green). If I'm using globe eggplant I peel them and slice them into fairly thick slices, if I'm using Japanese eggplant I slice them lengthwise in half. No need to fully cook these veggies on the grill because they will get cooked again. After they are grilled I cut them up into about 2-3 inch chunks.

2. On the stovetop I saute thickly sliced onions and bell peppers (variety of colors) until they get a little brown. All vegetables should be in large chunks so that you can still recognise them when the dish is done.

3. Cut roma (plum) tomatoes in half and toss them in a large pot with the onions,add the grilled veggies, salt and pepper and any seasoning you like. I usually add oregano and paprika (smoked if I have it) and sometimes a bit of cayenne. I almost forgot, at this point I add whole peeled garlic, as much as you want.

4. Last step is you let the whole thing simmer on low, stirring occasionally. You want to stir it gently so as not to turn the veggies into indistinguishable mush. It's done when the tomatoes have released all their juices and the whole thing looks sort of homogeneous.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

ToddAndMargo is offline Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Hi Oliviascotland and Urban Forger,

I did onions, parsley, oregano, garlic (a whole bulb), tomatoes (heirloom), olive oil , zukes (my garden), egg plant (my garden), sea salt, and Chayamo (New Mexico Red) chili pepper. Didn't have any bell peppers. And avoided basil. Then I pressure cooked it for 40 minutes. Wow, what a wonderful taste. I am freezing half of it.

I got 18 zukes from my garden this week. Probably more zukes in one week than I have ever gotten in all previous years combined! The secret was to fertilize with chicken scat (polite farmer talk for "poop") based organic fertilizer. I blanched up half of them and froze them. The rest went in the rat-uh-two-ee. Still have about five left over, which I put in the crisper.

Thank you both for helping me with this!

-T

I remember trying Trader Joe's Ratatouille some years back. Yuk! What a difference home cooking and fresh ingredients makes!

Maybe I look for some organic red bell peppers next time.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    It sounds like you have another delicious dish in your repertoire!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    So glad to have been of some help - your ratatouille sounds delicious, and I may well give it a go myself!

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    The website Cooking For Engineers has one I like. I also made the entirely fancy version one time--lots of work but worth it!
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"