Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Healthiest oil for an effective - and non-bitter! - oil emulsion? page

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member

Healthiest oil for an effective - and non-bitter! - oil emulsion?

I'm trying to create a version of toum - a marvelous Eastern Mediterranean garlic spread.

My first batch I used olive oil and it came out inedibly bitter. I googled around and found this info:

According to Cook’s Illustrated, extra-virgin olive oil is the only kind of oil susceptible to becoming bitter. Even pure olive oil can handle blending better than the extra-virgin kind. The reason is because extra-virgin olive oil contains a high percentage of molecular compounds called polyphenols, which are normally coated in fatty acids. Under standard conditions, the fatty acids in the oil prevent polyphenols from dispersing in an aqueous environment. When these fat molecules are broken into droplets in an emulsion, however, the polyphenols are distributed into the solution and their bitter taste can become apparent. When the emulsion is only lightly blended, the bitterness is not perceptible. But a blender or food processor breaks the droplets down into smaller sizes, increasing polyphenol dispersal. These suspended polyphenols can ruin an otherwise delicious recipe.

FYI, Toum is lots of garlic blendered/processed with even more oil, plus a bit if salt, lemon juice, and water.

For my next batch, I used Hain high oleic safflower oil. Same problem.

Could it be the garlic rather than the oil?

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    It could be the garlic. Try avocado oil next time. Very mild with a slight nutty flavor.
    "It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist."

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Not to tamper with an old recipe but sometimes with EVOO salad dressing I notice 1/4 or 1/2 tsp sweetener makes all the difference, similar to the amount that wakes up other polyphenol foods like coffee and cocoa.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    It could be the garlic. Try avocado oil next time. Very mild with a slight nutty flavor.
    Perhaps, but after checking the cost, that's not a feasible option-wow! (I'd like to try that oil sometime for other uses. Though I eat a fair amount of avocado, so I'm not sure I'm missing anything.)

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Not to tamper with an old recipe but sometimes with EVOO salad dressing I notice 1/4 or 1/2 tsp sweetener makes all the difference, similar to the amount that wakes up other polyphenol foods like coffee and cocoa.
    Interesting. For me adding sweetener just makes that sort of thing taste both bitter and sweet...

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I find the same - in either mayo or toum, extra virgin olive oil becomes incredibly bitter. I now use organic, non GM high oleic sunflower oil to make toum (and mayo) and it tastes fine. If I decide I want to add some evoo for flavour and the polyphenols etc, I add that after the emulsion has occurred and just lightly whisk it in.

I did try toum made with macadamia oil and also made it with avocado oil, but the price of either was just ludicrously high.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent girl View Post
    Interesting. For me adding sweetener just makes that sort of thing taste both bitter and sweet...
    I found that - just made it sweeter but still gross!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil is a very complex product. Some brands of olive oil have more natural bitterness than others. I'm okay with the taste of EVOO, but I know not everyone is.

soluteyoth is offline Junior Member
    yes,For me adding sweetener just makes that sort of thing taste both bitter and sweet.thanks

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Try "Extra Light Tasting" Olive Oil like this one: Bertolli® Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil

Sam's and Costco sell huge containers of it. I use the stuff for aioli and its perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast