Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long on primal until you can skip meals, etc? page

Mastiff is offline Junior Member

How long on primal until you can skip meals, etc?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not overweight and never had a terrible diet, but I'm trying primal because my energy levels are low and I've had intermittent "digestive" issues for years. I've tried generic "low carb" stuff in the past, but had to stop because I was losing too much weight. Anyway, I've always had an issue where I need to eat a lot of food at dinner or before bed or else I'll wake up starving in the night - no strong appetite, but hunger pang and general discomfort/empty feeling. I hear about how people can comfortably fast and this sounds like a great alternative! It'd be nice not to have to work so hard to keep fed over short time periods.

Anyway, I've been fairly faithfully primal for about two weeks and was "starved" last night because I had a salad with chicken for dinner (and full fat yogurt with blueberries) instead of something heavier.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Primal and Intermittent Fasting are not tied together, one has naught to do with the other. I think for many people the issue is eating processed foods which are often made to get you to eat them endlessly will interfere with proper eating patterns. Anyway, just jump in and try one of the methods, like not eating for 16 hours and then eating your 1,2 or 3 meals within an 8 hour period of time. When I started this I kicked it off with a 24 hour fast. IF has allowed me greater freedom in going longer periods of time without having to shove inappropriate food into my mouth.

Thanks. I didn't mean this to be about fasting exactly. I just finished Primal Blueprint, and a theme in there was being less of a slave to regular meal times. At this point, I think I'd still be very unhappy after a 1000 calorie day even if I was averaging 2K (or whatever) over a longer span.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    why would you have a 1000 calorie day ever?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    why would you have a 1000 calorie day ever?
    In TPB, he has an example of a 700 calorie day, followed by a 2800 day, or something like that. It's just an example. But if I had the ability to do that, I'd use it when I'm forced to hang out with people eating badly, or if I was busy at work and needed to skip lunch. Or when I end up eating a light dinner because my family is eating pizza and chicken nuggets.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    In TPB, he has an example of a 700 calorie day, followed by a 2800 day, or something like that. It's just an example. But if I had the ability to do that, I'd use it when I'm forced to hang out with people eating badly, or if I was busy at work and needed to skip lunch. Or when I end up eating a light dinner because my family is eating pizza and chicken nuggets.
    meh. my intake tends to vary on days, but never that drastically. I think eating that way and things like IF are highly overrated "strategies" when it comes to healthy eating.

if it makes you uncomfortable, then don't do it. if eating 2 times a day makes you happy, then do it. if eating 5 times a day makes you happy, then do that. when you are consuming calorically and nutritionally dense foods you feel satiated and your body will regulate itself to a certain degree.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    I personally don't do well with low calorie days and rarely had more than 1-2 meals a day even before primal so ehhh guess it depends a lot on what kind of person you areand how well you can ignore a grumbling stomach.

sharperhawk is offline Senior Member
    If you're metabolically flexible, you can switch from glucose as your primary fuel to fat, and then back again, without missing a beat. At some point you may have lost that flexibility and become dependent on mostly glucose. Regaining that ability can take months as your body increases the enzymes and mitochondria necessary to rely more on fat. Intermittent fasting or a ketogenic diet is likely to speed up the transition by putting extra demands on your body. However, being able to skip a meal without problems may not be worth putting yourself through the added stress. If you are eating low carb (but not very low carb), the change will come eventually.

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    A big thing about paleo is the nutrient density of the food and it may take a while of eating nutrient dense foods for your body to get the signal. You likely wake up hungry cause your body is gobbling up all the nutrients and screaming for more. And you are probably not eating enough.

I would eat more for the next 3 to 4 months, up your fat and protein say 50% every day and see if your night feedings dont fade quickly.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    To answer your original question, that is, how long until you can skip meals...

Your body will naturally tell you when you're ready to fast intermittently. Test yourself! Pick a day when you know you'll be really busy running errands or traveling or gardening. Eat a really big fatty protein breakfast, like omelet + sausage + greek yogurt + berries, or similar. Go about your day and see when you have lunch. If you say "hmmm it's 11:30. Better stop at Wendy's..." then you're not ready to IF yet. However, if you're in the middle of an errand and suddenly you say " oops, it's 3 pm already! I forgot to have lunch omg... oh well I'll wait until I'll get home..." then congratulations, you just IFed.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast